Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDip Applied Computing Technology

• 23-07-2016 6:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, sorry if there was a similar thread created already. Was thinking of applying for this this year (or next year) Other than being a general computer nerd I've no IT experience. I've only ever worked in retail and my degree background is Arts (social sciences) Just wondering what are job prospects like for this course. I worry moving into this sector I will be competing with people who did the three year computer science course while I have very little experience and just the one year conversion course. I don't want to be in the same position I am now. IE not very employable. Thanks for any info/advice you can give me.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Did you just finish Social Science?

I'm starting this course in September. I'm excited but obviously one year might not be enough unless you do quite well. If you do well though you can progress onto the masters which is a plus.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Having done something similar a long while back, I found this type of course excellent and a good preparation for either further academic work or getting a foot into the IT sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

Thanks, yeah I just finished this year. Though they are still accepting late applications I think I wait to apply until next year. I'm stills not 100% on what I want to do next and I'd like to spend the year working full time and save a bit of money. But I think I would like to get into the IT sector and even if something like this could get me an entry level/junior position that would be great. Though I wouldn't be opposed to doing a masters either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Thanks, yeah I just finished this year. Though they are still accepting late applications I think I wait to apply until next year. I'm stills not 100% on what I want to do next and I'd like to spend the year working full time and save a bit of money. But I think I would like to get into the IT sector and even if something like this could get me an entry level/junior position that would be great. Though I wouldn't be opposed to doing a masters either.

We must have been in the same class so, I just finished as well.

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

dazftw wrote: »
    We must have been in the same class so, I just finished as well.

Oh sorry, i realise the way I put it it sounds like I did social science. Id Arts but picked social science subjects, Sociology as my major and psychology as my minor. We might have had some sociology modules together though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Conbutts

Hi, for anyone who finished this course recently, could answer a few questions, please?

Was it worth it? Would you recommend it?

Also, do you think working in the evenings (5pm -11pm) on top of doing this full time is manageable?

thanks

Advertisement