Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How can I pick a car that's likely to have a low premium?

Options
  • 23-07-2016 7:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

I'm a learner driver with only two months worth of named driving experience and am currently getting lessons for my first test which will probably/hopefully be in September/October. Before I go any further I'd just like to make it clear that I am fully aware that whatever I do, my own policy will be very expensive but I need to try to make every saving on my insurance that I can when deciding what car to buy. Unfortunately being a named driver on the car I have been using is no longer an option so I need to buy my own to practice in and hopefully use after (again, hopefully) passing test.

In general, what are the levels at which these criteria start to really drive up a premium for a used car?
    - Engine size in L
    - Mileage
    - How far back the year of registration was
    - Price

If anybody could please offer some guidance on the above I'd be very grateful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Duffman'05 wrote: »
    I'm a learner driver with only two months worth of named driving experience and am currently getting lessons for my first test which will probably/hopefully be in September/October. Before I go any further I'd just like to make it clear that I am fully aware that whatever I do, my own policy will be very expensive but I need to try to make every saving on my insurance that I can when deciding what car to buy. Unfortunately being a named driver on the car I have been using is no longer an option so I need to buy my own to practice in and hopefully use after (again, hopefully) passing test.

In general, what are the levels at which these criteria start to really drive up a premium for a used car?
    - Engine size in L
    - Mileage
    - How far back the year of registration was
    - Price

If anybody could please offer some guidance on the above I'd be very grateful.

As small an engine as possible, a 1l Yaris, Fiesta, Corsa etc would be best.

Mileage on the car won't make a difference to the price of insurance.

Ideally no more than 8 years old, that will give you the most options in terms of companies.

Price wise is anyone's guess I'm afraid. Depends on your location, occupation, etc.

Boxymo seem to be well priced for first time drivers. They install a black box in the car as far as I know. Once you aren't acting the bollox and don't exceed what ever mileage you agree with them it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Boxymo seem to be well priced for first time drivers. They install a black box in the car as far as I know. Once you aren't acting the bollox and don't exceed what ever mileage you agree with them it shouldn't be an issue.
    Even if they offered me my cheapest quote, I wouldn't take out insurance with them on principle. That black box is a bollix move. Totalitarian, big brother stuff.

One of the most desirable things about having a car is the freedom it allows you to hop in it at any time of the day or night and set off on an adventure. And as often as you like. They can shove their black box where the sun don't shine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Doesn't stop you driving at night

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Dardania

peteb2 wrote: »
    Doesn't stop you driving at night

They seem to discourage driving at night:

https://www.boxymo.ie/telematics.aspx

Fascinating tech though...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Dardania wrote: »
    They seem to discourage driving at night:

https://www.boxymo.ie/telematics.aspx

Fascinating tech though...
    Orwellian is another term for it.

We have the Road Safety Authority and the Guards. Boxymo can piss off tbh. Thankfully I have no reason to deal with them. But I'd be worried if they set a precedent for this kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

OP find some low litre cars on Done Deal and pop in the reg to get some online insurance quotes. It depends on a lot of things. Clios tend to be quite cheap. Put a couple of experienced drivers down as named drivers. AA and Liberty give okay quotes for learners, without the box thing!

Advertisement