Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tractor PTO trouble

Options
  • 23-07-2016 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭

Hi
    Iv an old SAME tractor with oil operated PTO.

After some heavy PTO work , the PTO now wont work a large muck spreader. PTO spins away with no load. Any idea what happened her? The oil was low enough in her but topped it up now and still the same??��
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭White Clover

tcow wrote: »
    Hi
    Iv an old tractor with oil operated PTO.

After some heavy PTO work , the PTO now wont work a large muck spreader. PTO spins away with no load. Any idea what happened her? The oil was low enough in her but topped it up now and still the same??��

Pto brake possibly. Massey 290 or 590?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭tcow

Pto brake possibly. Massey 290 or 590?

What you mean by pto brake?

Its a SAME

• Registered Users Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭White Clover

What you mean by pto brake?

Its a SAME

Should have said brake band. Not familiar with SAME at all.
    Is there a dealer nearby that u could ring on Monday?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,210 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

What model is it? Leopard, Jaguar, Tiger etc?
    There is a PTO filter that's supposed to be cleaned regularly. Most aren't cleaned in decades.
    Hopefully that's all that's wrong.

PTO brake band failure would mean the shaft wouldn't stop turning. Not what you describe in this instance.
    Hopefully the low oil hasn't caused the PTO clutch pack to burn out. Check the filter first.
    Where did you fill with oil? The transmission beside the left hand cab step, or the rear housing below the back window?
    You need to fill the transmission, as the PTO and spool valves are fed oil from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭case956tom

no harm to pull the pto pump filter its under the handbrake housing.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    There is a PTO filter that's supposed to be cleaned regularly. Most aren't cleaned in decades.

PTO brake band failure would mean the shaft wouldn't stop turning. Not what you describe in this instance.
    Hopefully the low oil hasn't caused the PTO clutch pack to burn out. Check the filter first.
    Where did you fill with oil? The transmission beside the left hand cab step, or the rear housing below the back window?
    You need to fill the transmission, as the PTO and spool valves are fed oil from there.
    pto clutch pack discs are not too bad pricewise, pumps are mad money has to be bought in parts cant buy a complete pump.

Filled the oil in the hole between the seat and the gearstick. It was almost empty. Its a same panther. Hope its the filter. I'll check tomo . If the PTO clutch pack was burnt out, is there much to fixing that???��

case956tom wrote: »
    pto clutch pack discs are not too bad pricewise, pumps are mad money has to be bought in parts cant buy a complete pump.

Is there much rippin to do to replace pto clutch pack disks??

Never done one on a SAME, but apparently there is no need to split the tractor. The clutch pack is just under a top cover under the seat. Clutch pack has it's own self contained oil pump. (Assuming the Panther is the same basic design as the Leopard.

Never done one on a SAME, but apparently there is no need to split the tractor. The clutch pack is just under a top cover under the seat. Clutch pack has it's own self contained oil pump. (Assuming the Panther is the same basic design as the Leopard.

Thank god for that.

Wonder where all the oil would have went so fast. Checked it about 2months ago and twas grand.

• Advertisement

Thank god for that.

Wonder where all the oil would have went so fast. Checked it about 2months ago and twas grand.
    the hyd top cover might have to come off i done the pto in a jaguar last year top cover had to come off to take the shaft out of the pto clutch pack.you must have a leak somewhere the same i fixed had'nt seen oil in years very little wear anywhere,theres great metal in them old sames

case956tom wrote: »
    the hyd top cover might have to come off i done the pto in a jaguar last year top cover had to come off to take the shaft out of the pto clutch pack.you must have a leak somewhere the same i fixed had'nt seen oil in years very little wear anywhere,theres great metal in them old sames

There a mighty machine all together. Tough as leather.

Sorry now, but which cover you talking about? Is it the one under the seat?

Hopefully it will just be a filter. This one seen oil recently enough so couldn't have been that dry!

There a mighty machine all together. Tough as leather.

Sorry now, but which cover you talking about? Is it the one under the seat?

Hopefully it will just be a filter. This one seen oil recently enough so couldn't have been that dry!
    the hyd top cover its the cover furthest back that lifts the lift arms iykwim,if you have to pull out the pto clutch pack try and measure the spool valve movement between disengaged and engaged,i had a workshop manual for a same it did'nt include a jaguar i had to pressurise it with a grease gun to set it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 shot_ov_a

Have a panter myself that started the very same this year with the conditioner didnt get at the pto clutch yet.. id say ur leak might be where the brake rods go into the back end there is rubber seals there and they do go and oil seems too disappear not hard too replace.. only a guess but that was the problem with ours

shot_ov_a wrote: »
    id say ur leak might be where the brake rods go into the back end

Thanks for that.

Pulled from the "Same Lamborghini Hurliman" page on Facebook.

Thanks for the advice lads.

Just to let you know . . . I left it for a few days, replaced all the pto oil, and when I tried it again, worked fine!!

Tractor fairies must have had a busy few nights!!

Phew!!

Advertisement