Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What are important features on a new car to you?

• 23-07-2016 8:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Curious to know what features you look for on car when looking to buy a new car?

I drove a nice expensive small hatchback today but was a might bit disappointed that the engine bay did not have weather shield under the engine and the rear brake discs were tiny. For the price (€32K) I would have expected more.

Am used to VW and Volvo cars that have always had the shield and suitably sized rear discs. Will absolutely not look at a car with rear drum brakes. So old hat these days.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Suitably sized rear discs though? On most cars, they see little action, and the use of discs is token mickey-waving, and apart from ford, most manufacturers use them on focus upwards size cars. I'm sure the smaller discs are well up for the job.

Anyway, for me a sunroof or panoramic roof, cruise control, aux in or USB or Bluetooth streaming, Bluetooth handsfree, auto folding mirrors. Remote audio, deadlock int and alarm.

Apart from the now expected stuff like alloys, aircon etc

I had a fella refuse to buy a new Corolla off me years ago because they only had 4 wheel studs per wheel and the Golf had 5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Like the panoramic roof not that we get much sun!

Cruise, ABS, Air con, rain sensors, good sound system and auto dimming RVM are what I look for initially but am put off a car that hides or cuts corners where one would not normally look, and not include a weather shield for the engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think those shields are more for aerodynamics than anything else. They're a relatively recent thing. I wouldn't really see it as cutting corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭Needles73

"the rear brake discs were tiny" I guarantee the discs were more than adequate from a functional point of view, fair enough if we are talking asthetics....an average driver would hardly notice if the back brakes worked at all under normal braking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I use the adaptive cruise control a lot more than I thought I would though I as a bit nervous of it at the start! Reversing camera is also a must!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭audi12

Fiskar wrote: »
    Curious to know what features you look for on car when looking to buy a new car?

I drove a nice expensive small hatchback today but was a might bit disappointed that the engine bay did not have weather shield under the engine and the rear brake discs were tiny. For the price (€32K) I would have expected more.

Am used to VW and Volvo cars that have always had the shield and suitably sized rear discs. Will absolutely not look at a car with rear drum brakes. So old hat these days.

worked in car sales the amount of people who would pay extra for mickey mouse things like cruise control was beyond belief and then break your heart for a fiver discount figure that out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Some of the new Mitsubishi and Toyota jeeps and pickups have discs that would look normal on a bicycle. Stop on a sixpence though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Fiskar wrote: »

For a daily driver - has to be an automatic.

Plus air-con (does not need to be auto), electric windows (all of them) and generous steering wheel and seat regulation...

grogi wrote: »
    For a daily driver - has to be an automatic.

what pay thousands more not to have gears in a annoying auto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

audi12 wrote: »
    what pay thousands more not to have gears in a annoying auto.

I would spend a grand for a working Shift too...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 425 ✭✭Dubwat

- Don't laugh but a cup holder for the driver. Don't have one at the moment :(

- Air-con
    - Easy to change lightbulbs (I turn my lights on during the day)
    - Integrate phone (google maps, music, calls, texts, recharging) into 'entertainment system' on car

I live in Dublin and my average speed is less than 30km/hr. Don't need fancy engine, brakes etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Climate control.
    Xenons
    Bluetooth / audio streaming / decent phone integration
    Cruise (preferably adaptive)
    "Sporty trim" - think S-Line rather than SE

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

For me it's got to have a decent headlight set up - xenon or LED, heated seats, cruise control, climate and a decent head unit.

Also one thing that drives me mad on a lot of newer cars is tiny mirrors. Sensors are all well and good for parking but when you're on the road I'd prefer not to have to constantly adjust the mirrors to the road type. Some cars are coming with stupidly small mirrors these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I was actually out looking at new cars today . I have to say I know I was looking in the 17/22 brand new region but felt really dissapointed in what you got for that .

I was looking at a dacia Logan a month or so ago and would defo look into that again , OK cars are very limited because its a budget buy but at least its priced that way .

I think its time to go back to drawing board . I saw some lovely 2005/6 Audi avants today on dd that looked fab for a fraction of cost that look and I'd bet drive better than any of them over priced new cars . I'll use the savings to tax and maintain them

Back on thread tho , a nice arm rest , color coded everything , nice seats .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,524 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Dual climate, xenons, leather, mfsw, auto, remote boot release, auto lights and auto rear diming mirror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

For me everything I would want my current car has:

Leather heated and electrically adjustable seats with memory function (hate when someone else messes with the seat adjustment),
    Adaptive xenon headlights,
    Large widescreen infotainment unit with a decent sound system,
    Dual zone climate control,
    Cruise control (adaptive would be even nicer)
    Automatic gearbox,
    Sunroof is a nice bonus too.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭noel100

I was actually out looking at new cars today . I have to say I know I was looking in the 17/22 brand new region but felt really dissapointed in what you got for that .

I was looking at a dacia Logan a month or so ago and would defo look into that again , OK cars are very limited because its a budget buy but at least its priced that way .

I think its time to go back to drawing board . I saw some lovely 2005/6 Audi avants today on dd that looked fab for a fraction of cost that look and I'd bet drive better than any of them over priced new cars . I'll use the savings to tax and maintain them

Back on thread tho , a nice arm rest , color coded everything , nice seats .

A friend of mine just back from Manchester with 12audi a4 2lt diesel 134bhp 70kmiles beautiful car very impressed.
    16500 including VRT and going over picking it up and boat back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

The badge.
    Surely its the badge for everyone ? They may say build quality, reliability, price, accessories, looks, etc.
    But its the name that really matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

For example :
    bazz26 wrote: »

Leather heated and electrically adjustable seats with memory function (hate when someone else messes with the seat adjustment),
    Automatic gearbox,

Would you really buy a Ssongyang even if it had all the above ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Motors forum and nobody has yet mentioned the most important feature

THE ENGINE

Whats the point in rear disks if the engine is the usual pathetic gutless wonder.

• Advertisement

Motors forum and nobody has yet mentioned the most important feature

THE ENGINE

Whats the point in rear disks if the engine is the usual pathetic gutless wonder.

True, I find though most manufacturers won't put rear discs on unless the engine is 110 Bhp.

Personally I'd rather have an engine shield over the engine top cover with brand logo.

noel100 wrote: »
    A friend of mine just back from Manchester with 12audi a4 2lt diesel 134bhp 70kmiles beautiful car very impressed.
    16500 including VRT and going over picking it up and boat back.

I would never buy an English car high mileage, write offs and you will never get big money for it when you try to sell in again in the irish market.

Automatic gearbox,
    why would you need a sunroof you live in Ireland not spain. Hate automatics they belong in America like convertible cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭cowboyjoe

*120bhp+
    Info-tainment system...( integrated sat nav, phone, mp3 for all phone types). My 132 insignia only accepts iPhone for music and we both use android now, a nuisance.
    *18"+alloys
    *Sports trim or higher spec package

cowboyjoe wrote: »
    *120bhp+
    Info-tainment system...( integrated sat nav, phone, mp3 for all phone types). My 132 insignia only accepts iPhone for music and we both use android now, a nuisance.
    *18"+alloys
    *Sports trim or higher spec package

Insignias are awful cars and have a terrible reputation in the industry wait till you trade it in talk about a shock to the system.

People used to come in to me when I was in car sales crying because we weren't giving them enough for their trade in not my fault you bought an Opel I used to say to them.

I would never buy an English car high mileage, write offs and you will never get big money for it when you try to sell in again in the irish market.
    why would you need a sunroof you live in Ireland not spain. Hate automatics they belong in America like convertible cars.

The more you post the more you come across as not having a clue what you're talking about.

Don't recall asking for your opinion, but cheers for all the good news which I was obviously not asking for. You really must be a totally sound guy. Must talk more about motors with you and or even maybe buy one off you. But you call yourself "Audi" so your the car expert and so you have to give your opinion I suppose.:DB][/B]
    Insignias are awful cars and have a terrible reputation in the industry wait till you trade it in talk about a shock to the system.

People used to come in to me when I was in car sales crying because we weren't giving them enough for their trade in not my fault you bought an Opel I used to say to them.

Don't recall asking for your opinion, but cheers for all the good news which I was obviously not asking for. You really must be a totally sound guy. Must talk more about motors with you and or even maybe buy one off you. But you call yourself "Audi" so your the car expert and so you have to give your opinion I suppose.:DB][/B]

Not having a go at you just dont buy a Opel is my advice next time. I drive a Audi myself brillant car even thought is 02

• Advertisement

The more you post the more you come across as not having a clue what you're talking about.

I would love for you to tell me what I am wrong about a high percentage of english cars are a write offs fact and a lot of them have high mileage and are clocked fact............

Not having a go at you just dont buy a Opel is my advice next time. I drive a Audi myself brillant car even thought is 02

Wasn't asking for your advice. Funny that I actually traded in a 03 Audi A4 for the Insignia and absolutely love it, best new purchase of anything I've ever made. Anyhow, don't spout your own opinions as fact on a 'new' motors thread, when your driving a 14 year old car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

. I drive a Audi myself

9b3.png

On a side note, I think that apple car play or the android version is a good thing to have. It means your not going to go out of date as its all handled and upgraded with your phone. Great idea.

I have had a lot of various extras in my time and air con, heated seats are good to have. I assume bluetooth is standard on everything these days. Manual versus Auto is an interesting one, It depends, both have their pros and cons, I would get an auto on a daily driver myself and save manual for a occasional car.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

I'd like a car that would sound and look impressive to members of boards.ie and any superficially swayed people I may know or wish to like me.
    I would also like a car that would enhance my standing in society.
    Preferably a Volvo matched with a polo shirt and chinos and a pair of deck shoes.
    A car which would make people think I'm a toff,oh yeah I'd always have the golf clubs in the boot.

Only joking an A to B will do,preferably a corolla 1.4 d4d with a more robust gearbox,the 07 to 12 version had a gear box which was made of lead...

I would love for you to tell me what I am wrong about a high percentage of english cars are a write offs fact and a lot of them have high mileage and are clocked fact............

Your posts read like standard cliches.

I've bought and owned a number of UK used cars that were not written off or clocked. All had full verified service histories and properly background checks done. There are of course clocked and written off examples finding their way over here but that says more about the scum over here bringing them in, hiding these facts and buyers not doing proper background checks before buying than where the cars come from. And what about Irish cars that are clocked or written off, you would want to be very gullible and naive to think they don't exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭Yourmama

Electric adjustable seats with memory. Main reason why I still drive my car 6 years later. Everytime I'm tempted to change I give up in the end as I can't find anything that I would like and had this option. 140bhp+ is another thing I would struggle without.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭ianobrien

fact............

Ah the typical reply when facts can't be produced to support a statement.

This has been asked before and my list hasn't changed much, mfsw, climate control, auto lights and mirrors, Leather (full or half with alcantara), decent handling, 180bhp min and in a machine smaller than an Octavia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

ianobrien wrote: »
    This has been asked before and my list hasn't changed much, mfsw, climate control, auto lights and mirrors, Leather (full or half with alcantara), decent handling, 180bhp min and in a machine smaller than an Octavia.

BMW 3 series

digiman wrote: »
    BMW 3 series

Too big I'm afraid.

ianobrien wrote: »
    Too big I'm afraid.

A BMW 2 Series coupe or maybe a Seat Leon FR 184bhp if you need more than 2 doors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭FreeFallin

Somewhere to rest your right and/or left arm when driving long distances. You may not take need of the lack-of an armrest on a test drive, but it will hit you down the line!

FreeFallin wrote: »
    Somewhere to rest your right and/or left arm when driving long distances. You may not take need of the lack-of an armrest on a test drive, but it will hit you down the line!

Funny you mention that, there was an arm rest on the car I tested yesterday as there is on my own, however both i and the sales man could not lower it as it was in the way of gear changing and getting at the hand brake! Definitely only for long journeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

You have to be joking. Opel reliability is superb and the features available as standard leave Audi in the shade.

As for trade in - the reason I switched to Opel was the great trade in value it held for me. Buy new and trade in every 2 or 3 years with great resale value. I've had Audi and they lost huge value very quickly.

As for features I look for nowadays, rain sensitive wipers, automatic lights, Bluetooth, climate control, digital radio. None of these means no sale for me.

A BMW 2 Series coupe or maybe a Seat Leon FR 184bhp if you need more than 2 doors.

I was thinking of a 2 series coupe alright, or maybe a Cupra.......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭n1ck

My car came with a bottle opener....

One thing I liked about my previous car was that it had cup holders that fit larger bottles, literally can only fit a can in mine now. Volvic bottles, protein shakers, my normal water bottle don't fit :|

I like having a nice centre console and a nice steering wheel.

9b3.png

On a side note, I think that apple car play or the android version is a good thing to have. It means your not going to go out of date as its all handled and upgraded with your phone. Great idea.

I have had a lot of various extras in my time and air con, heated seats are good to have. I assume bluetooth is standard on everything these days. Manual versus Auto is an interesting one, It depends, both have their pros and cons, I would get an auto on a daily driver myself and save manual for a occasional car.

why would you pay more for a auto mystery to me they belong in America not in Ireland where we have a bit of common sense

Wasn't asking for your advice. Funny that I actually traded in a 03 Audi A4 for the Insignia and absolutely love it, best new purchase of anything I've ever made. Anyhow, don't spout your own opinions as fact on a 'new' motors thread, when your driving a 14 year old car.

I have worked in car sales selling new cars for the past year that qualifies me to have a view and a well informed one at that I could well afford a new one if I wanted it my 14 year old car goes better than a lot of new cars I have seen coming in with clutches and gear boxes gone after two years.

Shur if you are happy with it then grand best of luck

Your posts read like standard cliches.

I've bought and owned a number of UK used cars that were not written off or clocked. All had full verified service histories and properly background checks done. There are of course clocked and written off examples finding their way over here but that says more about the scum over here bringing them in, hiding these facts and buyers not doing proper background checks before buying than where the cars come from. And what about Irish cars that are clocked or written off, you would want to be very gullible and naive to think they don't exist.

No one said they didnt exist over here also just not as many

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭youtheman

At this stage I expect my car to come with elec windows, good stereo, auto air con and cruise control. Last few cars have also had auto lights, auto wipers, auto dimming mirrors and reversing sensors, so I'm inclined to take these for granted now. My current steed has Xenon lights and I would get some shock if I had to go back to normal lights (my next one will have LEDs). My next one will also have reversing camera as well as the sensors, plus keyless entry.

I like the built in gps, even though it costs several times more than the one you buy in Halfords. But you don't have the usb cable dangling across the dashboard, plus the sound is integrated into the radio.

Some of the smaller touches are nice also, for example the buttons on the steering wheel should be illuminated, there should be global closing of the windows with the key fob.

I also like the idea of an electronic handbrake. Must admit the ugly manual handle looks out of place in a modern car.

One thing I couldn't care less is the full size spare wheel. I've had to change one tyre in the last 30 years, so I'm quite happy with an emergency spare or a kit.

youtheman wrote: »
    At this stage I expect my car to come with elec windows, good stereo, auto air con and cruise control. Last few cars have also had auto lights, auto wipers, auto dimming mirrors and reversing sensors, so I'm inclined to take these for granted now. My current steed has Xenon lights and I would get some shock if I had to go back to normal lights (my next one will have LEDs). My next one will also have reversing camera as well as the sensors, plus keyless entry.

I like the built in gps, even though it costs several times more than the one you buy in Halfords. But you don't have the usb cable dangling across the dashboard, plus the sound is integrated into the radio.

Some of the smaller touches are nice also, for example the buttons on the steering wheel should be illuminated, there should be global closing of the windows with the key fob.

I also like the idea of an electronic handbrake. Must admit the ugly manual handle looks out of place in a modern car.

One thing I couldn't care less is the full size spare wheel. I've had to change one tyre in the last 30 years, so I'm quite happy with an emergency spare or a kit.

stupid reversing cameras are annoying people need sensors and a camera to reverse a car now swear they were driving lorries

• Advertisement
Advertisement