Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Council House

Options
  • 23-07-2016 10:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Good evening all,

I have a 3 bed council house in Dublin and we are getting a lot of antisocial problems from local gangs from here and outside the estate. I have always tried to deal with these issues on my own as no other person in this area (30 houses) will help out or complain. (Drug dealing, stolen cars, intimidation etc) and we get very little support from Gardai or the Council. Even though this has been going on for years, the same 2 families always remain and intimidate. Following a recent row with a gang of 16 18-24 year olds, I am getting very nervous and think I might have to abandon the house over the next few days, as I can take much more of it and am really don't feel safe leaving the house anymore. If I do have to walk away from the house quickly, what are my options? Can I go to the council and apply for emergency housing as I have very little cash for a deposit and no family to move in with?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I wold think your first port of call is the council office . Explain the situation. Perhaps say you will go into emergency accomadation if they pay and you go to the top or near the top of the waiting list.

P.s. I have never been in social housing but id imagine they have a few families on their books that would be able to manage this location and would be glad to move in.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Go to a local councillor and get them to approach the council for you.

If you go on your own, they will just say that you are adequately housed and that there's nothing they can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

Go to a local councillor and get them to approach the council for you.

If you go on your own, they will just say that you are adequately housed and that there's nothing they can do.

The local labour councillor who I contacted to help get some things sorted like fencing in the area fixed, got a front page story in the local echo saying about the anti social behaviour in the area and what she done, ie, contacted council to get fencing fixed. This front page story has been the catalyst for the problems I am having now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

There was an item on radio 1 about ten days ago about a council estate with extreme anti social behaviour in Cork. A young mother had nearly been killed in an attack, yet when she left her house the council did not rehome her. OP consider your options carefully, the chances of you getting an alternative house soon are pretty slim.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Good evening all,

I have a 3 bed council house in Dublin and we are getting a lot of antisocial problems from local gangs from here and outside the estate. I have always tried to deal with these issues on my own as no other person in this area (30 houses) will help out or complain. (Drug dealing, stolen cars, intimidation etc) and we get very little support from Gardai or the Council. Even though this has been going on for years, the same 2 families always remain and intimidate. Following a recent row with a gang of 16 18-24 year olds, I am getting very nervous and think I might have to abandon the house over the next few days, as I can take much more of it and am really don't feel safe leaving the house anymore. If I do have to walk away from the house quickly, what are my options? Can I go to the council and apply for emergency housing as I have very little cash for a deposit and no family to move in with?

Thanks

OP I feel for your situation. Unfortunately the part of your post I have highlighted is the main reason for council housing getting the bad rep that it does. Perhaps try talking to a local garda and see would they send a letter to all the other estate residents reminding them that reporting is confidential and to do a few patrols on nights where these incidents are more likely. If you can get a few others over to your way of thinking then perhaps the problem can be resolved.

• Advertisement
Advertisement