Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick Urban Garden

• 23-07-2016 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭

Has anyone else noticed that there is a distinct lack of rubbish bins in the 'Urban Garden' outside Penneys? I passed there at around 8pm last night and there was quite a bit of rubbish around, it would make sense to have more than the two regular street bins on the foot path especially when there are street vendors and benches etc.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭limericklad87

Surely the vendors should provide their own

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭MrJones2013

Surely the vendors should provide their own

Passed there yesterday afternoon also and couldn't see any again and the vendors were open at that stage.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Anyone think the crossing at the Urban Garden is very dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

bigpink wrote: »
    Anyone think the crossing at the Urban Garden is very dangerous

Dangerous in the sense it encourages Jaywalking because there are perfectly acceptable lighted crossings at either end, then yes.

People were always going to Jaywalk so at least now they're confined, mostly(as I've seen young lads leap over the structure), to one area to cross illegally now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭PetKing

Encouraging to the point of accommodating them, which I don't agree with. Painting in that 'jaywalk here' area directly opposite Penneys to reach Cruises Street. They're asking for trouble there.

• Advertisement

I'm not trying to be negative with this thread by the way, I definitely think it is a great idea! The area just looked very unkempt when I was passing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

It's hard not to jaywalk in Limerick as the city is built for cars not pedestrians. Is there actually any pedestrian crossings on William Street or Henry Street?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

panda100 wrote: »
    It's hard not to jaywalk in Limerick as the city is built for cars not pedestrians. Is there actually any pedestrian crossings on William Street or Henry Street?

Yes - loads!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

William Street has 3 up as far as high street and Henry Street has 5 from mallow street to sarsfield street.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,903 ✭✭✭zulutango

That Urban Garden is the lamest thing I've ever seen. Tacky beyond measure.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

zulutango wrote: »

Do you ever contribute anything positive about existing things in the city?

Ah it's not that bad, It's better than another taxi rank or bus stops. It's a good idea to utilise the space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

Pass the urban garden anytime around 6pm and the place is a disgrace, litter thrown everywhere and the nearby bins full to capacity.

Why people in this country still think it is acceptable to just drop their waste everywhere and anywhere is beyond me, it is absolutely disgusting.

The lack of bins doesn't help but it is not an excuse to just throw rubbish on the street.

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Pass the urban garden anytime around 6pm and the place is a disgrace, litter thrown everywhere and the nearby bins full to capacity.

Why people in this country still think it is acceptable to just drop their waste everywhere and anywhere is beyond me, it is absolutely disgusting.

The lack of bins doesn't help but it is not an excuse to just throw rubbish on the street.

This and people not cleaning up their dogs sh*t after them. There are signs all over the place warning about fines etc but it doesn't stop people littering or negelecting the responsibilities of owning a dog. Has anyone ever seen or heard of a person being fined for these offences?

This and people not cleaning up their dogs sh*t after them. There are signs all over the place warning about fines etc but it doesn't stop people littering or negelecting the responsibilities of owning a dog. Has anyone ever seen or heard of a person being fined for these offences?

Once.

A pensioner I know got fined for not cleaning up after his dog at Hassetts Cross.

The same guy normally does clean up, I actually noticed him do it several times. This one day he forgot to bring the bag and of course got caught.

I felt bad for him, of all the people to get caught, it was a guy who normally does clean up.

There's also a distinct lack of bins for dog waste.

While people's habits leave a lot to be desired our own council doesn't help much with the stingy allocation of bins around the city. The one that are there aren't emptied frequently enough either.

But it needs to be tackled at an early age with education and civic pride.

Its nice the idea and the seats but if you were a visitor that went lookibg fir the urban garden in the limerick guide ud laugh

Do you ever contribute anything positive about existing things in the city?

Only when merited, which is rare enough.

Ah it's not that bad, It's better than another taxi rank or bus stops. It's a good idea to utilise the space.

Yes, better than a taxi rank or bus stops, I'll give you that :D

Kebab Quarter coming soon no doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

I think the bike rack is in a great spot. Very open and plenty of space.

Re the rubbish, its not the council throwing the rubbish around, people need to take responsibility for their own actions. Wouldn't take much to carry rubbish to the nearish bin. I think there's one outside McDonald's?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

And what have you suggested to the council as an alternative?

Exeggcute wrote: »
    Once.

A pensioner I know got fined for not cleaning up after his dog at Hassetts Cross.

The same guy normally does clean up, I actually noticed him do it several times. This one day he forgot to bring the bag and of course got caught.

I felt bad for him, of all the people to get caught, it was a guy who normally does clean up.

There's also a distinct lack of bins for dog waste.

That is harsh especially when people who never 'scoop the poop' get away with it. Definitely agree with you about the lack of bins, there are numerous signs in my estate even and zero bins.

Garry123 wrote: »
    And what have you suggested to the council as an alternative?

So, one can't criticise or comment on the urban garden unless they suggest an alternative to the Council? Seriously .. :pac:

I do wonder sometimes what council people are referring to when they ask if you have "suggested an alternative to XYZ"

From my experience with the council, taking on board suggestions from the public is, how shall I say, not one of their strong points. To put it mildly.

Another way to put it would be that suggestion are met with open hostility.

As i said in the burritio thread my friend spend time and money on a food business and couldnt get any reply from the council yet mexican food dudes getting all the prime spots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Garry123

So, one can't criticise or comment on the urban garden unless they suggest an alternative to the Council? Seriously .. :pac:

All you ever do is complain, why not suggest an alternative rather than constantly criticise?

People hate me here too but i only call it as i see it

Garry123 wrote: »
    All you ever do is complain, why not suggest an alternative rather than constantly criticise?

Because he'd be talking to the wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

Don't think the litter thing is specific to the Urban garden. The city centre is generally poorly maintained litter wise. There was loads of litter around the place the day of the 2020 bid...and the same every weekend...particularly Sundays. The boardwalk, Arthur's. Quay, o connel street, William street... Take your pick.

• Advertisement

Did the street cleaners work saturday amd sundays?

Advertisement