Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 Tour de France, Stage 21: Chantilly → Paris (113km)

Options
  • 23-07-2016 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭

5htFBtl.png

pictoType_PLN.gifStage 21: Chantilly → Paris Champs-Élysées (113 km, Flat)

Sunday, July 24thStage infoSoundtrackStartlistRoadbookRules • Weather: Finish
    Starts at 16:35 - Live video from 16:00 - Finish at 19:15 (CEST) • Live tickerLivestreams
    Also on today, Sunday: La Course by Le Tour de France (Elite Women's Road Race)
    Raced on the same circuit in Paris, the women will do 13 laps, starting at 13:15. Live video from 13:45. Finish at around 15:10. Schedule might change slightly prior to the start.
    [align=center]Race infoStartlist[/align]

Route:
    CARTE.jpg

Profile:
    t6dj8kY.jpg

Mountain passes & hills:
    Km 32.5 - Côte de l'Ermitage 0.9 kilometre-long climb at 7% - category 4

Final Kilometres:
    [align=center]7h5EzGF.png

qQukHJj.jpg

8 complete laps of the circuit above will be ridden.[/align]

Preview:
    This year’s course may include a few novelties but there is nothing new on the final day of the race. Three years ago it was rumoured that ASO were planning to end the race on the top of Alpe d’Huez but those ideas were never turned into reality. As usual, the race will come to an end with a largely ceremonial stage to Paris where the sprinters will get the chance to battle it out on the Champs-Élysées in the most prestigious stage for a fast finisher.

Overnight the riders will have travelled from the Alps to the southwestern suburbs of Paris for the final day of racing that follows a very traditional format. The stage usually starts a bit south of the capital and then makes a small loop in the area – often with one or two small categorized climbs to finalize the battle for the KOM jersey – before the riders head towards the city centre. Here they do a number of laps of the famous circuit on the Champs-Élysées, very often ending with a big bunch sprint.

This year’s stage starts in Chantilly north of Paris and as usual the distance is rather short, even shorter than usual. At just 113km, the route makes a small loop in an easterly direction before it turns around and heads south towards the city centre. In the suburbs, they will reach the top of the final categorized climb of the race, the category 4 Cote de l’Hermitage (900m, 7%) after 32.5km of racing. Otherwise the terrain is almost completely flat as the riders continue towards the centre of Paris.

In this year’s unusually short stage, the riders will reach the finishing city circuit after just 57km of racing and 1.5km further up the road, they will cross the line for the first time. The stage ends with 9 laps of the 6.85km circuit that brings them up and down the famous avenue which is one lap less than last year. [8 laps by my count. ed.] One of the novelties for the 2013 edition that was introduced to mark the 100th edition, was the fact that the riders went all the way around the Arc de Triomphe instead of doing a 180-degree turn in front of it. This adjustment to the circuit was maintained in 2014 and 2015 and will again be in place in 2016 but the stage won’t finish late in the evening as it did three years ago. It will still finish later than usual though as the arrival is scheduled around 19.15 local time, just like in the past two years.

The Champs-Elysées is cobbled and not flat as it ramps slightly upwards when one goes through the finish. The intermediate sprint will be contested at the highest point of the avenue on the third lap when 39.5km still remain. The final sprint is well-known by all the riders and pretty technical as there are two 90-degree turns just before the flamme rouge. Inside the final kilometre, two sweeping turns lead onto the short 400m finishing straight that is slightly uphill on a 9m wide road.

The stage will of course pan out as it usually does, with the first part raced at a leisurely pace while the riders take the time to congratulate each other, take a sip from a champagne glass and pose for the photographers. The racing gets serious when they approach the finishing circuit, with the team of the race leader set to gradually pick up the pace before the first passage of the finish line. From then, it will be full-on racing which will in all likelihood come down to a bunch sprint that may even determine the winner of the points classification. For the second year in a row, we will have a shorter ceremonial part and more laps on the circuit which should give a bit more racing than usual but the scenario is likely to be the same. A small group will get clear on the circuit but in this kind of short stage they won’t get much of an advantage. The sprint teams will keep things firmly under control. As the final stage of the 2015 Giro showed, surprises are possible even in the final stage of a grand tour but the circuit in Paris is less suited to attackers.

Last year André Greipel confirmed his status by taking his fourth stage win ahead of Bryan Coquard. In 2014, Marcel Kittel took his second consecutive win on the famous avenue when he narrowly held off Alexander Kristoff in a close sprint. One year earlier he had broken Mark Cavendish’s winning streak in a fantastic battle against the Brit and André Greipel. Before then, Cavendish had won the stage four years in a row from 2009 to 2012. Before the Brit started to dominate the stage, Gert Steegmans, Daniele Bennati and Thor Hushovd won bunch sprints while the sprinters were last foiled in 2005 when Alexandre Vinokourov took a hugely surprising victory with a late attack.

Current (approx. final) General Classification standings:
    qlnHIxQ.png

Current (approx. final) Points Competition standings:
    L3fL73X.png

Current (approx. final) Mountains Competition standings:
    uxBVgEc.png

Current (approx. final) Youth Competition standings:
    JOjjP4C.png

Current (approx. final) Team Competition standings:
    nR2vHk4.png

Withdrawals Stage 20:
    None

All Withdrawals:
    DENNIS (BMC) ARCHBOLD (BOA) BRESCHEL, LANGEVELD (CDT) BOŽIČ, NAVARRO (COF) CAVENDISH, RENSHAW (DDD) TULIK (DEN) LADAGNOUS, PINEAU, PINOT (FDJ) FRANK (IAM) MØRKØV, VAN DEN BROECK (KAT) DEBUSSCHERE (LTS) HERRADA, G. IZAGIRRE (MOV) GERRANS (OBE) DUMOULIN (TGA) CONTADOR (TNK) CANCELLARA, THEUNS (TFS)
    175 of 198 riders remain in the race.

Given it is the final stage, a stage Cav made his own over the years, for me his renaissance is one of the stories of the Tour. Sagan as well his work to win the Green jersey has been monumental, and after a few lean years in terms of stage wins he got his just deserts this year.

← Stage 20 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Thank you to everyone who set up a stage thread. It really enhances everyone's enjoyment of letour.

See you all for the Vuelta

• Registered Users Posts: 2,243 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Cav dropping out without being forced to has taken the shine away for today's stage. It somehow devalues it for me. He more than likely would have won it.

I hope a break away gets it today :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭omri

Could Yates still go on attack for the 3rd place or is that it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Have a look at backstage pass stage 20, one of our own makes an appearance eating a sausage roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Fair play to Froome and team Sky. A commanding performance and so far ahead of their rivals.

IMO, Froome has shown this year, more so than others, what an incredible champion he is and more than capable of dealing with whatever the tour throws at him. It is not his, or Sky's fault, that the others teams lack the skill and or ability to challenge them.

We are witnessing a truly great team and champion.

Edit, sorry I left out the part to say thank you to all those you dealt with the daily threads, Greatly added to the tour and very informative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

From cyclingnews.com:

The 2016 Tour de France peloton has made history with 175 riders to arrive in Paris and set a new record for the most finishers in a single year after 198 riders started in Mont-Saint-Michel. The previous record was 170 riders in the 2010 Tour de France while 169 riders made it to Paris in 2013.

The race also set a new record with no abandons in the first seven stages of the race with Katusha's Michael Morkov the first rider to call it quits as injuries got the better of the Katusha rider on stage eight.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 CameraBag

Going to watch La Course too. I haven't seen a women's race before (new enough to this craic!)... Who should I be shouting for?

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Cav dropping out without being forced to has taken the shine away for today's stage. It somehow devalues it for me. He more than likely would have won it.

I hope a break away gets it today :)

Why did he drop out?

Has the break ever got away on last day?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

shutup wrote: »
    Why did he drop out?

Cav. dropped out to prepare for the Olympics. It was decided, that the last few stages in the Alps would not be the best preparation for Rio. He would certainly have suffered a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

The most boring your de France that I can remember. I wish I was back in 89.

• Advertisement

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Cav. dropped out to prepare for the Olympics. It was decided, that the last few stages in the Alps would not be the best preparation for Rio. He would certainly have suffered a lot.

Ah ok thanks for info.
    Pretty disappointing attitude. "The unofficial sprinters world championship" should be worth hanging around for.
    Plus gives him an edge in Olympics against the sprinters who braved the climbs. I hope he does not medal.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Ah ok thanks for info.
    Pretty disappointing attitude. "The unofficial sprinters world championship" should be worth hanging around for.
    Plus gives him an edge in Olympics against the sprinters who braved the climbs. I hope he does not medal.

What a ****ty attitude. Plus he is riding the track

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Burial.

Why did he drop out?

Vino pulling the ultimate Vino move in 2005.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭BowSideChamp

Why did he drop out?

Vinokourov won on a break a few years ago. Also didn't Simeoni attack Lance in the yellow jersey during the procession ride to Paris as pay back to what Lance did to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

CameraBag wrote: »
    Going to watch La Course too. I haven't seen a women's race before (new enough to this craic!)... Who should I be shouting for?

Has to be Lizzie Armitstead the future mother of an Irish cycling champion.

godtabh wrote: »
    What a ****ty attitude. Plus he is riding the track

Me or Cav?
    What's wrong with wanting a top sprinter to hang around for the biggest sprinting stage in word cycling?
    Thanks for the info that he's going for the track. Just googled it. I had no idea what omnium was or that he was doing it.

Burial. wrote: »
    Vino pulling the ultimate Vino move in 2005.

That was before my interest in cycling I'm afraid. I did see him win gold in London though. Wish I had seen more of his career

• Registered Users Posts: 15,660 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

That was before my interest in cycling I'm afraid. I did see him win gold in London though. Wish I had seen more of his career

You really don't!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Ah ok thanks for info.

Fortunately for Cavendish, the actual world championship is one for the sprinters this year so I don't think he will he too disappointed. I can see both sides of the argument but it was always the plan to pack it in before then end I'd say.

• Advertisement

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Fortunately for Cavendish, the actual world championship is one for the sprinters this year so I don't think he will he too disappointed. I can see both sides of the argument but it was always the plan to pack it in before then end I'd say.

They certainly speculated on it in the very early stages of the tour during commentary on ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

quintana and froome having a chat, nows the time for quintana to attack while froomes half way through a sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

neris wrote: »
    quintana and froome having a chat, nows the time for quintana to attack while froomes half way through a sentence

Froome is no Sean Kelly ...who sometimes loses himself in a sentence and has to keep rambling until he finds himself again...usually by injecting a phrase like "I say to myself" to get back on track

are sky the only team to finish with all their riders?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,862 ✭✭✭kksaints

Froome bringing a round in.

froome handing out the bottles from the car to his team mates ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

neris wrote: »
    are sky the only team to finish with all their riders?

Nope.

Astana, AG2R, LottoNL-Jumbo, Lampre-Merida, Etixx-Quick Step, Fortuneo-Vital Concept.

ProCyclingStats keep the start list updated.

Froomes on the lash

• Advertisement

sean kelly understatement of the year "alcohol does have an effect"

Advertisement