Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2016 Tour de France, Stage 21: Chantilly → Paris (113km)

Options
124»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

MPFGLB wrote: »

Even Nicolas Roche is training like a mad man. obviously smarting from not being in the Tour team

Not sure if Roche was ever in Tour plans but it was clear that there was a change in his programe ahead of the Giro. I assumed his reward for that was leading in Spain. Clearly not going to happen if Froome is riding it. Pity

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

Maybe they'll give him free rein to do what he wants? Like EQS gave Alaphillipe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,502 ✭✭✭spock.

outfox wrote:
    Maybe they'll give him free rein to do what he wants? Like EQS gave Alaphillipe?

Sky don't give free reins I'm afraid. He'll be another part of the Sky train.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Incredible footage there at the end of itv4's highlights coverage.

A couple with their bikes up on the ledge of a high peak with a huge chess board between them!
    All seen from the helicopter.

The scenery alone makes the tour watchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

godtabh wrote: »
    Not sure if Roche was ever in Tour plans but it was clear that there was a change in his programe ahead of the Giro. I assumed his reward for that was leading in Spain. Clearly not going to happen if Froome is riding it. Pity

Did Froome say he was doing the Vuelta for sure? Doubt Roche would have been leading regardless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

godtabh wrote: »

He was down to ride the Tour but when Koning got injured , Intxausti got sick and Henao got banned, first Nieve was switched and then Nico

The long climbs suited Nieve and he rode very well and got on the Tour team....deserved..Then with Landa available having dropped out of the Giro and Heano in top form and available and Roche not riding a good Giro he was left out of the Tour...think it came as a shock

But hey every cloud and he will be in great form for the Vuelta which he usually does well in and was hoping for leadership...

Obviously with Frome that may not be an option but who knows how things work out ..Froome has not confirmed yet and Froome does not always do well in this race (even though he seems invincible now..he does have the Tour in his legs) so SKY may give freedom to a few riders like last year ...Konig is also looking for it I'd say

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Did Froome say he was doing the Vuelta for sure? Doubt Roche would have been leading regardless

Not from a reliable source (mentioned on here) but I think Nico would have been a protected rider
    MPFGLB wrote: »
    He was down to ride the Tour but when Koning got injured , Intxausti got sick and Henao got banned, first Nieve was switched and then Nico

The long climbs suited Nieve and he rode very well and got on the Tour team....deserved..Then with Landa available having dropped out of the Giro and Heano in top form and available and Roche not riding a good Giro he was left out of the Tour...think it came as a shock

But hey every cloud and he will be in great form for the Vuelta which he usually does well in and was hoping for leadership...

Obviously with Frome that may not be an option but who knows how things work out ..Froome has not confirmed yet and Froome does not always do well in this race (even though he seems invincible now..he does have the Tour in his legs) so SKY may give freedom to a few riders like last year ...Konig is also looking for it I'd say

When Roche was confirmed for the Giro I heard rumours of him riding the nationals. When I heard that I knew he had no chance for the Tour so I dont think it was a surprise to Nico.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

The last day is processional as far as Paris and all the papers announce the GC winner based on Saturdays finish (e.g. Sunday times has Froomes as winner). Am I correct in saying that it is only tradition that dictates that the GC contenders call it quits on the last day and that there is nothing in the race rules to this effect ?

Or put another way if Froomes lead was only 2 seconds over the second place rider would it be processional or race on for GC ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

It is tradition, but in truth there would be very little way any of the GC candidates would be able to take time on the leader on such a flat day. If there was only 2 seconds in it, the sprint would be a complete mess as GC teams tried to create gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭smurphy29

I wouldn't be so concerned about Froome riding the Vuelta as there is simply no way he will have the same level he had in the Tour. No doubt he'll come into it talking about doing a Tour-Vuelta double but in all likelihood he will do well to make the top 5. I wouldn't be surprised if Sky had a proper Plan B in the race to allow for this; maybe Landa, Poels, Thomas or - just maybe, but a long shot - Nico Roche will be given protected status in the first week until they see how the chips fall. But the reality is Sky don't really care all that much about the Vuelta or the Giro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

I'd say Froome wouldn't be riding the Vuelta unless he genuinely thought he could win it, & I certainly wouldn't rule him out. However I thought the PP odds of 4/1 on Contador as third favourite behind Quintana & Froome were surprisingly generous enough to be worth a punt or even a euro or two.
    Given his Giro performance I thought Kruijswijk at 22/1 worth something small also, not that I've a clue if he's seriously targeting it or not.

Advertisement