Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Discovery - Pre-release discussion [** NO SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

flaneur wrote: »
    like the really, really annoying Tilly person.

Oi, you leave that Tilly person out of this. Love Tilly :). Tilly for Captain (one day (she hopes))!

Great post otherwise ;-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Maybe she’s janeway’s great, great, great, great grandmother!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Goodshape wrote: »
    Oi, you leave that Tilly person out of this. Love Tilly :). Tilly for Captain (one day (she hopes))!

Great post otherwise ;-)

Yeah I don't get the Tilly hate. She's bubbly, enthusiastic, optimistic; practically a walking example of the Federation. I bet she even loves root beer! ;)

I only hope she doesn't exist as an excuse for the writers to 'punish' the utopian purity of the Federation. Lorca might be the ragged edge of it all, but to me it's clear Tilly is the emotional heart & arguably most at risk of scriptwriting sadism if that's ab avenue the writers intend taking...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

They'd want to be a little careful as they could end up accidentally making something that isn't Star Trek at all.

One of the things that's annoying me is the science is a lot more waffly magic than TNG where it looks like the script writers made an effort to make the tech at least vaguely based on science. The spore drive is very poorly explained and a bit too far fetched, even by sci fi standards.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Optimus Prime

My feeling is that she is going to be the catalyst for Michaels
    second mutiny
    , as a result of some action the captain takes she is going to get killed. They are setting her up as a red shirt! haha :pac:

Put a spoiler post around that just in case someone hasnt seen the first two eps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

They'd want to be a little careful as they could end up accidentally making something that isn't Star Trek at all.

One of the things that's annoying me is the science is a lot more waffly magic than TNG where it looks like the script writers made an effort to make the tech at least vaguely based on science. The spore drive is very poorly explained and a bit too far fetched, even by sci fi standards.

I know it's something to do with quantum entanglement and that's good enough for me. We've had 700 episodes of Geordi/O'Brien/Belanna/Trip rerouting things through the phase plasma inducers to create a feedback loop through the blah blah blah . I for one am glad that they aren't over explaining stuff(so far) because the above example of technobabble so prevelant in Trek since TNG is IMO as nonsensical, as "waffly magic" as you put it, as Stamets explanation of the Spore drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭De Bhál

I find the theme tune is very similar to the House Of Cards theme tune.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Ah now, that's a myth; just because the writers occasionally threw in a reference to a modern day scientist with their Heisenberg compensators et al, doesn't conflate Trek with so-called 'hard' science fiction. The technobabble was waffle of the highest order, and no doubt had anyone the time or inclination, probably frequent contradicted itself with the number of conflicting uses of plasma coils or phase couplers.

Maybe the fact the TNG 'science' was always inherently mechanical in its structure kept in the realms of believability - IIRC organic based technology was few and far between - but while the spore driver is a bit on the fantastical side, is no less fictitious than the nonsense passed off as 'science' in 80s/90s Trek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

pixelburp wrote: »
    Only if you're seeking a mob (though not sure what you mean by 'creating' boxes), but every other iteration of Trek sought representation through its casting, so why fret about this one? Absolutely nothing was made of Stamets and the doc being a couple in the script, so ... *shrug* I wouldn't worry about it too much :)

What I meant is that in the 1960s they were way ahead of their time. Russians ,African Americans and Asians. Putting gay characters seems a bit cliched now.In the real world about 10% of people are gay but in fictional lands it's about 20%. You can't have a fictional workplace without them while in real life it's quite normal. But I'm only making an observation. It ain't that important .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I find the theme tune is very similar to the House Of Cards theme tune.

Listen to the Fringe theme and then listen to it again, IMO, blatent rip off, although I can see why people would also think of HoC, I think Fringe is far closer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭De Bhál

CramCycle wrote: »
    Listen to the Fringe theme and then listen to it again, IMO, blatent rip off, although I can see why people would also think of HoC, I think Fringe is far closer.

Ok, yeah they're similar also.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

I'm a biologist. TNG and the like used to annoy me regularly. Discovery hasn't done so yet.

The mention of HGT and tardigrades was the closest thing to my field they've mentioned and it didn't break my suspension of disbelief.

I think they're doing far better than the days of turning the crew into random animals "because devolution".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

CramCycle wrote:

I miss fringe greatly...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Eh, the purpose of this thread obsolete?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,888 ✭✭✭AtomicHorror

Patww79 wrote: »

Reminded me most of The Night Manager.

Reminded me most of The Night Manager.

The introduction is bad. Title wise . I liked the song for enterprise as it captured that point in trek/human history and was something new. Music wise it's unremarkable pretty much like all post generation TV series music bar enterprise

The introduction is bad. Title wise . I liked the song for enterprise as it captured that point in trek/human history and was something new. Music wise it's unremarkable pretty much like all post generation TV series music bar enterprise
    Enterprise annoyed the hell outta me and many others. A better score, which would have stood the test of time better and yet achieve what you mention could not have been to great an ask. Not a fan of this intro either, as it isn't (to me) even close to a trek intro, but then neither was Enterprise. It is OK as a random TV show intro though, and still, IMO, better than Enterprise.

I got faith in the heart!

I got faith in the heart!

That line has now been stuck, on repeat, in my head since last night, thanks a lot :pac:

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote:
    That line has now been stuck, on repeat, in my head since last night, thanks a lot

Such a terrible terrible Intro.
    I reckon it's part of why I disliked the show that's how bad it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Slydice wrote:
    sounds promising

That was the episode that really sold me on trek. Moved from watch sometimes to highlight of the week as a young fella.

I think the music is a little lacking but the actual titles IMO are excellent; vibrant and curioisly alien - and more aesthetically interesting than generic cosmic vistas. Dunno who made them but they do ape the style of Elastic''s work, which is very 'in' at the moment.

As for enterprises own? Oof. Each to their own n all, but that theme tune felt like a soft rock eurovision reject; schmaltzy and horribly dated. I don't think it alone doomed enterprise, but as first impressions go it was a constant reminder that the engine was already stalling at this point.

what time does the new episode go live is it midnight here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

jcd5971 wrote: »
    what time does the new episode go live is it midnight here?

I've not seen any of the episodes until the following evening. I think they come in around 07:00 or 08:00 in the morning.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Star Trek Discoverey renewed for Season 2!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭hal9550

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Star Trek Discoverey renewed for Season 2!!!

BOOOOM!!!!!!!!!!!

Peace and long life!!!! (Although enjoying war just as much it seems!!!:pac:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭brainfreeze

Slydice wrote: »

Possibly my most hated Star Trek episode. Simply because it's quoted so much, and by design, incredibly repetitive.

That and the one with Picard playing a flute in the turbo-shafts.

Advertisement