Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Trek: Discovery - Pre-release discussion [** NO SPOILERS **]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭Evade

I'm still holding out for a 2400s where are they now series with TNG/DS9/Voyager characters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

:eek::eek:

Comic Con Season 2 trailer:

And Rebecca Romjin as Number One

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Smertrius

star trek sega series is the exploration of the universe of space not war conquer and desctruction

i saw 4th episode its nothing but conquring the Klingons , star trek is an exploration of space not war desctruction

this is not star trek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Smertrius wrote: »
    this is not star trek

Neither [was|is] TNG or DS9 or Voy or Ent or most of the films.

It might not be your favourite Star Trek but it is Star Trek, for better or worse.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Neither [was|is] TNG or DS9 or Voy or Ent or most of the films.

It might not be your favourite Star Trek but it is Star Trek, for better or worse.

tng, tos and Voy were mostly exploration of space

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Inviere

On the surface yes, though the real exploration was of the human condition...something DS9 also aced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,245 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think what ''GoodShape'' above means is that when TNG came out a lot of the Original Series fans said that was not Star Trek that it was too different and so on. The same with DS9 and Voyager. It takes time for people to get used to new ideas and settings. Me I had no problem with DS9 or Voyager although DS9 did take a bit more getting used too for me and some of the family but I love it. TNG was the one that got me into Star Trek and to me it's the most Star Trek of them all. Its what we should aspire to be. I had no problem with Voyager but it could have been done better and maybe because of where they were a bit darker but not too dark.
    Discovery is different and there is a lot of things in it I did not like in the first season like the spore dive and all that mumba jumba magic bla stuff. Its supposed to be Star Trek about technology, science and the human condition not magic. I also am not made about the fact the klignots have a language very similar to Klingons. The Discovery does nothing for me either but some of the other Federation ships were not bad.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

ii never about magic
    AMKC wrote: »
    I think what ''GoodShape'' above means is that when TNG came out a lot of the Original Series fans said that was not Star Trek that it was too different and so on. The same with DS9 and Voyager. It takes time for people to get used to new ideas and settings. Me I had no problem with DS9 or Voyager although DS9 did take a bit more getting used too for me and some of the family but I love it. TNG was the one that got me into Star Trek and to me it's the most Star Trek of them all. Its what we should aspire to be. I had no problem with Voyager but it could have been done better and maybe because of where they were a bit darker but not too dark.
    Discovery is different and there is a lot of things in it I did not like in the first season like the spore dive and all that mumba jumba magic bla stuff. Its supposed to be Star Trek about technology, science and the human condition not magic. I also am not made about the fact the klignots have a language very similar to Klingons. The Discovery does nothing for me either but some of the other Federation ships were not bad.

1st season 90% is about war and destruction, its should 90% on exploration. too dark to be star trek, i never mention about magic

• Advertisement

1st season 90% is about war and destruction, its should 90% on exploration

So TNG 2.0? That didn't work out so well for Voyager, the format had become tired and spent. DS9 will age infinitely better than TNG and Voyager, because it's storytelling had matured and grown. Not to take away from TNG, but it had kinda done everything it needed to do by the end of Season 7.

Inviere wrote: »
    So TNG 2.0? That didn't work out so well for Voyager, the format had become tired and spent. DS9 will age infinitely better than TNG and Voyager, because it's storytelling had matured and grown. Not to take away from TNG, but it had kinda done everything it needed to do by the end of Season 7.
    To be fair Voyager came around right after TNG finished so STD as an exploration series wouldn't have the baggage of just having had seven years of Star Trek exploration fatigue.

STD does need a retool now that the Federation-Klingon War is over but if this new threat is another potentially Federation ending* threat that we know won't have any real lasting consequences and gets wrapped up in a season to make way for the next one, it will get old fast too.

*I suppose it's actually multiverse ending since they're still using the DASH drive.

please stop convince to watch this series of star trek its too dark to star trek

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

please stop convince to watch this series of star trek its too dark to star trek
    Ok. Bye.

In your own personal humble opinion, of course

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Dark?

DS9 was very dark at times and it was awesome.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Why are you reading and posting in a thread about it then?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So I guess we should stop talking about the show and just stare at each other then?

*glares at everyone else*

pixelburp wrote: »

There is the theory, of the Mobius?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,682 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

pixelburp wrote: »
    So I guess we should stop talking about the show and just stare at each other then?

*glares back and shakes fist*

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Dark?

DS9 was very dark at times and it was awesome.

"There are four lights!"

TNG had its moments. The Borg were originally quite terrifying as well until Voyager turned up.

CramCycle wrote: »
    The Borg were originally quite terrifying as well until Voyager turned up.

This is a common statement, but one I can't agree with. TNG, for all we owe it, began to de-fang the Borg with "I, Borg" (brilliant episode mind), long before Janeway took command of Voyager.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Even if it'd nuke continuity, I'm actually kinda warming to the idea of the Borg in Discovery: prosthetics, CGI and FX in general are so much more sophisticated than they were 20 years ago, coupled with Discovery's greater use of blood & violence, and you could have a truly horrific, terrifying return of the Borg. Looking at the TNG versions and they were kinda goofy with those 'kitchen sink' costumes.

edit: Oh wait, sorry, we're not meant to talk about Discovery

*continues staring*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

The thing that I always found stupid about the Borg was their whole "lets just ignore these intruders on our ship until we think they're a threat" policy. Sure, I guess the first once or twice it was plausible, but after that you'd think they might cop on to the fact that whenever they saw humans in their cube, it meant that there was gonna be trouble, so probably best to just assimilate them.

TNG, for all we owe it, began to de-fang the Borg with "I, Borg" (brilliant episode mind), long before Janeway took command of Voyager.

That was pretty self-contained stuff though. It might have been interesting to explore the impact that the events in I, Borg and Decent had on the collective as a whole, but we never really saw that. I don't think it was ever actually mentioned or referenced again?

It was definitely Voyager's "fault" for over-using the Borg, but also perhaps Star Trek: First Contact and introducing the idea of a singular Borg Queen, was really the beginning of the end for the Borg as an interesting unstoppable concept villain.

but also perhaps Star Trek: First Contact and introducing the idea of a singular Borg Queen, was really the beginning of the end for the Borg as an interesting unstoppable concept villain.

I still feel Hugh, showed us that the Borg were perhaps not the tunnel vision assimilating machine we had known and loved, but were, in fact, quite human underneath all the implants. For me, it's definitely where the downfall began. 'Descent' then took it to a new level, and gave us generic baddies in Borg costumes, complete with names and concern for fallen comrades. Obviously Voyager took things even further, but I still feel TNG began the downfall.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

That was pretty self-contained stuff though. It might have been interesting to explore the impact that the events in I, Borg and Decent had on the collective as a whole, but we never really saw that. I don't think it was ever actually mentioned or referenced again?

It was definitely Voyager's "fault" for over-using the Borg, but also perhaps Star Trek: First Contact and introducing the idea of a singular Borg Queen, was really the beginning of the end for the Borg as an interesting unstoppable concept villain.

True, the borg queen was a great enemy as a one off enemy, but in regards the borg, it kind of took away that unstoppable force idea. The Borg to me you could destroy 99% of them but leave a small cluster somewhere in the Universe and like a plague or virus, they would spread anew. No morals, no feelings, only the job. In my mind they were the perfect vision of communism, everyone has a say and everyone does their job. I always did wonder what they would do if they got everyone. Would they simply go into stasis or just simply continue but really doing nothing.

I still feel Hugh, showed us that the Borg were perhaps not the tunnel vision assimilating machine we had known and loved, but were, in fact, quite human underneath all the implants. For me, it's definitely where the downfall began.

True enough, but I still felt it took time and effort to 'unlock' Hugh's dormant human qualities. He was also, iirc, disconnected from the collective, which allowed him to grow as an individual for the first time in his life.

It was definitely the first clear departure from Best of Both Worlds' unstoppable killing machines, but it could have been (and I'd argue was) treated as a stand-alone incident with little baring on what came afterwards.

The Borg Queen, on the other hand, showed us that the 'collective' really does have an "I" after all. There was no coming back from that, unfortunately.
    'Descent' then took it to a new level, and gave us generic baddies in Borg costumes, complete with names and concern for fallen comrades.

Yeah, "baddies in Borg costumes" is exactly what those guys were. But as such, they had little to do with any Borg we saw before or since.

(and I'd argue was) treated as a stand-alone incident with little baring on what came afterwards.

Yeah, "baddies in Borg costumes" is exactly what those guys were. But as such, they had little to do with any Borg we saw before or since.

Both were/are singular examples, true...but what they did, was forever alter our perception of the Borg. We perhaps no longer saw them as unstoppable, they had flaws, they had weakness, there was hope...something that was previously non existent. The Borg Queen and Voyager kinda brought the shark to the jumps, but TNG, for me, started the Borg down this road.

• Advertisement

This is a common statement, but one I can't agree with. TNG, for all we owe it, began to de-fang the Borg with "I, Borg" (brilliant episode mind), long before Janeway took command of Voyager.
    I think I, Borg portrays the drones as sympathetic victims instead of the mass killers they were but if anything that makes the Borg as a collective more terrifying. My memories of terrifying Borg may entirely be related to watching the 10pm showing of TNG on Sky one since I was seven. Worf's holographic sparring program enemy was pretty scary back then too.

Advertisement