Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a semi-detached property with a derelict property attached

Options
  • 23-07-2016 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭

I am renting and living in a semi-detached cottage for six years and the owner has offered to give me first refusal to buy it as he wants to sell. The other half of the building has been unoccupied since the owner next door died about ten years ago. She died without leaving a will. None of her distant relatives are bothered to take ownership of the now almost derelict property and no one has been able to trace them. The freehold of the property is still owned by Iarnrod Eirann although the 999 year lease was owned by the woman who died.

My side of the building and the other side of the building have large tracts of land attached and there is no fence separating the two properties so I sometimes enjoy use of the land next door and I have access to the building as there is an entrance through my attic into the property. I also kept a horse on the other side of the land for some time.

If I went ahead and purchased my side of the building would it be difficult to obtain adverse possession of the next door property?

If I could not get possession of the property, would having such a house next door in a derelict state cause me any problems in the future?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I would take legal advice on the adverse possession issue, sounds more complicated than other cases given the leasehold situation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Nomis21

Sure I would get legal advice, but I'm just putting it out there to see how people would feel about having a derelict property attached to their property with uncertain ownership...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Okay half remembered but IIRC getting adverse possession of leasehold land is nigh on impossible. Falling back on the fact that it's local authority land simpliciter then it's a 30 year period that you are required to maintain adverse possession before you can bar the council from exercising their rights.

Edit: I forgot to add as said above take proper legal advice.

Advertisement