Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rob Halford & Babymetal - Painkiller/ Breaking The Law

• 23-07-2016 11:56pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

What do we think of this one lads. Judas Priest's Rob Halford, Yes "The Metal God" last week performed classic Priest songs, 'Painkiller' & 'Breaking The Law' with Babymetal at the Alternative press music awards.

What do Priest fans on boards think about this?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,371 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Priest fans? Or integrity fans...?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

endacl wrote: »

Real Priest fans man. British Steel, Screaming for Vengeance, Fans from the early 80's make your voice heard

endacl wrote: »

In terms of integrity, I'm a fan of Halfords and I don't think he loses any integrity by performing with these kids, What he gains from it? I'm not sure, maybe exposure of his music to a younger audience. What do they gain? I guess their 'metal cred' is increased by performing with a legend of heavy metal like Rob Halford.

Here's how fans reacted on facebook. some of the top comments on Judas Priest page.

Donnie Louise Ferguson
    Y'all don't have to like them... I don't either. Rob is a nice guy who wants to help support these young girls while they deal with **** from dickheads like all of you. Just chill and move on. Not your problem.

Todd Cannon
    If Rob Halford, THE Metal God himself, saw fit to share the stage with BabyMetal, he should not be questioned. So all the haters can **** off and go back to failing at Rock Band 4, LOL!

Rebecca Yazza
    This is great for the next generation of metal heads. Especially young girls! Babymetal is great!

Vrej Gazeryan Wtf
    I love Judas priest but god damn man baby metal is ****ing as lame as it gets

Kyle Gulish
    Not really a big fan of Babymetal (only really like one song by them), but goddamn guys, there's no need to hate on them. They're bringing something to the genre that's pretty ambitious: mixing J-pop vocals with heavy metal, something that's not common...See More

Mystie Vyxin Green
    Crazy how musicians are out there supporting each other and all people do is criticize. I love Judas Priest and what I see in this cover is a younger generation showing their appreciation for classic metal.

Holly Wood Hayden
    Baby metal is pure ****.

Ryan Taylor
    Never actually listened to Babymetal until a few minutes ago and...good f**king god, are they bad. I'm sorry, but metal and autotune do NOT mix.

Jay Gardner
    Rob, if you have to give some of the young 'uns some spotlight, how about you give it to the ones that could actually use it? like an undergrounder that's making some waves or something?

Erik Hazlett
    It was interesting. Rob Halford showing love to an up and coming band like them. He truly is a Metal GOD! be funny to see them open for Judas Priest after this.

Linus Eldblom
    Judas Priest = Awsome !
    BABYMETAL = Awsome !

But together.....not so much...
    Their styles are to different to be combined, which probably make all this respectless haters hate.

If you don't like Judas Priest, learn to respect the gods. They are the inspiration to many metal/rock bands all around the world. Many metal/rock band you listen to probably have them as their gods.

If you don't like BABYMETAL, it's time to leave the stone age. Metal will allways stand tall, which means that there will allways be some new kind of metal coming out.

All I want you to know is that it didn't sound good in my ears, but I still respect them for doing a fun thing together.

Don't be boring and strict, have fun !

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭finooola

It's just Rob Halford being sound. I can't understand why anyone would get their knickers in a twist over it. Judas Priest are my favourite band.

• Advertisement

finooola wrote: »
    It's just Rob Halford being sound. I can't understand why anyone would get their knickers in a twist over it. Judas Priest are my favourite band.

I think you said it best mate. Halford is just supporting these kids who, despite what the twisted knicker crew might say, Have brought something different to metal. whether they are your cup of tea of is a matter of opinion.

I think its going too far to suggest Halford has somehow jeopardised his integrity or the integrity of heavy metal by performing with babymetal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Exactly it's Rob being sound the same guy who's band brought a small band at the time Pantera on tour to Europe.

Although I personally think video in question is bad karaoke not to mention the guitar props :D , nothing to ridicule the fella over

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Yeah not really impressed by the video itself :pac:

Anyone (If there is anyone) who is bothered by him performing with Babymetal needs to chill out though.

Reality is, Rob Halford can do whatever the fúck he wants ;)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

GLaDOS wrote: »

^ This! ^

Spot on. :)

Exactly it's Rob being sound the same guy who's band brought a small band at the time Pantera on tour to Europe.

Although I personally think video in question is bad karaoke not to mention the guitar props :D , nothing to ridicule the fella over

Not sure I want to get too into the Babymetal debate but here but I do think their Lead singer is very talented, and their musicians can't be faulted either.
    I agree that the two other girls mining on guitars was a bit ridiculous. but I guess they had to find some use for them on stage. It says allot about their roll in this band. I don't think they do much, other than dance around and look pretty.

I didn't hate the video. Is it bad karaoke? I thought it was alright. I love these two songs, although I never expected them to performed like this :D The collaboration is bizarre but fair play to Halford for doing it all the same.

• Advertisement

GLaDOS wrote: »
    Yeah not really impressed by the video itself :pac:

Anyone (If there is anyone) who is bothered by him performing with Babymetal needs to chill out though.

I actually think Halford deserves praise rather than ridicule. I say fair play to him for giving a boost to new metal. He obviously likes babymetal and supports what they are bringing to metal, so he can do whatever the fúck he wants ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

I must be getting old, as I'd never heard of BabyMetal until I read this thread! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Okon wrote: »
    I must be getting old, as I'd never heard of BabyMetal under I read this thread! :)

I still wish I'd never heard of them.

I think they're alright. I can't hate on a group of young kids having success in metal and bringing something new to the genre. They're doing well, fair play to them.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

Frankly it just strikes me as a fad, and they'll go away eventually.

Decent musicians, terrible vocals.

Angron wrote: »
    Frankly it just strikes me as a fad, and they'll go away eventually.

Decent musicians, terrible vocals.

I don't know about that anymore man. I'd have said the same thing myself a couple years ago, But It's hard to call them a fad anymore. Eventually could be a long way off yet. They're not showing much sign of them slowing down anytime soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

I quite like Babymetal in small doses. Their fanbase however, not so much.

Links234 wrote: »
    I quite like Babymetal in small doses. Their fanbase however, not so much.

I wouldn't consider myself a fan either, I like some of their stuff. Most of all I admire their balls for taking on metal, combining it with Japanese pop and making it a success.

I never expected them to get to where they are today. fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I just think it's weird that I'm pretty sure they said they aren't and never were into metal. I admire the honesty, but I find it hard to enjoy that kinda money making scheme, although if they make their money and people are happy to pay for it, so be it. I think the songs themselves are God Awful.

I will say this, though; nobody owns metal. If someone wants to do a Suffocation tribute album on panpipes, then no amount of crying about it is gonna stop it.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I just think it's weird that I'm pretty sure they said they aren't and never were into metal.
    Honestly I wouldn't have expected the girls to have been metalheads, pre-babymetal, weren't they like 12 years when they started? Even so I'd find it hard to believe they're not absolutely loving it now
    I admire the honesty, but I find it hard to enjoy that kinda money making scheme, although if they make their money and people are happy to pay for it, so be it.
    Yeah I think every band has money making motives, after all they are professionals, This is what they do for a living. The only thing that would concern me slightly on that subject would be, I hope these kids aren't being exploited by some fat kunt in a office, taking all the money they're generating.
    I think the songs themselves are God Awful.
    I will say this, though; nobody owns metal. If someone wants to do a Suffocation tribute album on panpipes, then no amount of crying about it is gonna stop it.

As for their music, again with all music it's a matter of opinion. One man's trash its another man's treasure, They have a growing fan base who love what they do. And another group of people who think its the greatest load of sh1te they've ever heard. Personally I think they're alright. fair dues to them, if it's true they're bringing a new generation onto metal, listening to Priest, Sabbath etc, Then they can only be good or metal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,948 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Watched it, heard her sing 'PainKirrer' then couldn't watch it anymore without breaking me shoite laughing

Ok, got to the end, does anybody actually believe those guitars are plugged in?

scudzilla wrote: »
    Watched it, heard her sing 'PainKirrer' then couldn't watch it anymore without breaking me shoite laughing

Ok, got to the end, does anybody actually believe those guitars are plugged in?

:D Haha, you made me raugh this morning man, The Japanese do have trouber with the aul 'L' sounds, Not coor to make fun i guess. Fair pray to her for rearning Engrish. It's not easy.

Nah i'd say those guitars the two girls have are props man, form what I've seen of Babymetal the other girls in the band do fck all other tn dance around the stage and look cute. The guys in the back are the real musicians.

Please don't start poking fun at the Japanese pronunciation of words. It's not on.

Angron wrote: »
    Please don't start poking fun at the Japanese pronunciation of words. It's not on.

In hindsight I should not have engaged Scudzilla in this joke. It was low hanging fruit and I'm mad at myself for indulging. It's not my character at all, I do have respect for Japanese culture, and I didn't meant to be offensive. :(

This is probably my favourite babymetal song. Its called 'Syncopation'. Worth a listen.

http://dai.ly/x4bchqa

Advertisement