Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotel Cancellation

Options
  • 24-07-2016 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭

A group of three couples booked 1 night accomodation in a hotel back in April for a midweek stay in August.
    We used a third party booking website, along the lines of trivago, etc.
    We chose the option of pay upon arrival.

About 3 weeks later, the hotel directly made contact and asked for a 40% deposit on the booking as we were a group of 3 (six people total). We were under the impression this deposit was for in the event that we didn't show up on the day without cancelling.

Unfortunately the birthday party we were due to be attending was cancelled. Myself and 1 other couple have opted not to go, but the one remaining couple will be attending and have not cancelled their room.

We cancelled the rooms two weeks ago, almost a month in advance but the hotel won't return the deposits. I wouldn't mind but the deposit is such a significant portion of the room cost it doesn't seem fair.

We also booked through a 3rd party website which never requested or mentioned anything about party policies or deposits or anything of the sort. We had chosen the pay on arrival option, which said we just needed to give 48hours cancellation notice not to be charged. I think it's particularly relevant that it was due to be a midweek stay.

Not going to lose sleep over it but wondering if it's something I should push with the hotel, legally can they keep the money? We even asked could the deposits be transferred onto the one remaining room booking but the hotel wouldn't budge.

Any advice welcomed, not sure where I stand on this and would like more info before contacting the hotel again. Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Hotel booking sites like Trivago offer a reduced, non refundable option when booking and a higher cost option which allows you to cancel up to 24 hrs before arrival. You may have opted for the lower price, no cancellation option.

If you read through the T&c's on the website, you will probably find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The OP had chosen to pay on arrival, with a 48 HR notice window.

The additional deposit was taken separately by the hotel, so nothing to do with the booking website. Did the hotel outline any T&Cs when they took the extra deposit from you? If they didn't, I'd argue that point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭2RockMountain

WhiteRoses wrote: »
    About 3 weeks later, the hotel directly made contact and asked for a 40% deposit on the booking as we were a group of 3 (six people total). We were under the impression this deposit was for in the event that we didn't show up on the day without cancelling.
    The key issue is down to the purpose of the deposit. How did you 'the impression' of the purpose of the deposit? Was there any discussion around the purpose of the deposit with the hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

I booked a hotel through one of those sites recently too. I am sure that l noticed in the t&c's that the hotel reserved the rights to ask for a percentage of the cost of the room in advance despite having also chosen the pay on arrival option. If l can find the exact wording of the clause l will post it up.

Cannot find that text anywhere, but l am sure that l read it. Don't think Im doting.....:$

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

from booking.com

Prepayment

• 100 percent of the first night may be charged anytime after booking.

ssmith6287 wrote:
    100 percent of the first night may be charged anytime after booking.

ssmith6287 wrote:
    from booking.com

ssmith6287 wrote:
    Prepayment

That's what l saw. I just couldn't see it when l went back looking for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

These site word things cleverly such as "no booking fee" or "€1 booking fee" or "no payment until arrival".

But you are still agreeing to the terms and conditions of the place you are booking - always read the cancellation terms of each place, these terms are seperate to any "booking deposit offer" that sites lure you in with.

Very possibly a site may have "€1 deposit & pay balance on arrival" - that simplay aids yoyur cashflow but does not preclude you from the cancellation terms, many of which will be minimum one night or in some case on special rates, full fee would apply and they would just take it off the card - deep in the terms you will find they can do it.

Bascially you got sucked in by booking .com to think that the small or nil deposit sufficed if you cancelled. Unfortunately that doesn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

booking.com don't charge you, the hotel charges you. booking.com gets paid by the hotel after you stay. if you don't stay then booking.com don't get paid. Theyre not lying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

Booking.com offer you what the hotel offers them, and that varies. You might be offered a free cancellation option right up to 24 hours before the date booked, or cancellation with part-payment, or no cancellation rights at all. You will sometimes find more than one option when booking, something like a room for €80 with "free cancellation" or €70 with no right to cancel.

You enter difficult contractual territory if, after booking through an online service, you then make another arrangement with the hotel directly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

I've some sympathy for the hotel here - they obviously saw a group booking as a substantial risk of being left with empty rooms at short notice, which is exactly what ended up happening.

Unfortunately for the OP, the time to object to the 40% deposit was when the hotel called up to request it. Deposits in general are non-refundable.
    WhiteRoses wrote: »

If you had just not shown up without cancelling, you'd have been charged 100%, not 40.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I booked last year for a hotel in Paris with booking.com with the flexibility to cancel up until the day before. I cancelled about 2 months in advance, and the hotel still charged my CC after the intended weekend. Got onto booking.com and they sorted it out within 24 hours. Only issue I ever had with booking.com that I can think of.

Advertisement