Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Black Sabbath. 'Best Metal Band Of All Time' : Loudwire

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rainman16

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Definitely. Without Sabbath there wouldn't be metal. I had the pleasure of seeing them live a few months ago. Pretty amazing..

Sabbath are definitely one of the great Heavy Metal bands. Did they start Heavy Metal? That depend if you consider Led Zepplin to be 'Metal' or how much farther you what to go back in music history to the origins of the heavier sound.

Are they the best? I don't know, I guess that's a matter of opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Rainman16 wrote: »
    I guess that's a matter of opinion.

Yep, that's it.

If this was a Kerrang TV poll, Fall Out Boy would be no. 1

Yep, that's it.

If this was a Kerrang TV poll, Fall Out Boy would be no. 1

I don't think even Fall out boy themselves would claim to be in anyway metal.
    I listened to some of their stuff like 8 years ago and it was pop/pop rock

I got nothing against them, honesty their music is not for me.

This is more my thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Best? They're definitely close, their first six albums are as good a run as anyone in metal. Most important? Almost certainly, in solidifying metal as a genre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,412 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

A major player for sure, as said that run of 6 solid albums over 5 years is unquestionable.

Priest experimented with their sound rather than sticking to a formula and managed to have a great album(s) every decade IMO since their incarnation for my picks...Stained Class(70's) Defenders(80's) Painkiller (90's) Angel of Retribution(2000's) & Redeemer of Souls(2010's) ...pretty solid I'd say.

For what it's worth dunno why Turbo gets a lot of stick bit of good stuff on there and far superior to Ram it down which followed IMO :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,076 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Will they ever fcuk off with these lists!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Will they ever fcuk off with these lists!

Lists like those are done pretty much to stir up debate and discussion, as they are all subjective. So it's worked! There is no right or wrong though, just opinions. But I couldn't really argue with any list that included Sabbath, Maiden, Metallica, Priest and Slayer... as they'd all be near the top of my list if I was to do one.

Okon wrote:
    Lists like those are done pretty much to stir up debate and discussion, as they are all subjective. So it's worked! There is no right or wrong though, just opinions. But I couldn't really argue with any list that included Sabbath, Maiden, Metallica, Priest and Slayer... as they'd all be near the top of my list if I was to do one.

I suspect they're created by marketers to err emm sell stuff!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I suspect they're created by marketers to err emm sell stuff!
    Clickbait is what it is ;)

I've gone through the list and really it doesn't tell us anything new.

I like these lists, Its a topic for discussion and I enjoy taking about music and sharing thoughts and opinions with others who share a common interest. I agree with Okon. As lists go this one is pretty solid, The top 5 are hard to argue against.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Given how quiet this place has been lately, any discussion is good =/

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Love this video.

any idea how the dublin sabbath gig is selling? im still too bitter to buy a ticket which i will eventually do!

any idea how the dublin sabbath gig is selling? im still too bitter to buy a ticket which i will eventually do!

Tickets are still available anyway. Show's not till Jan 20th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 256 ✭✭LunarSea

Rainman16 wrote: »
    Sabbath are definitely one of the great Heavy Metal bands. Did they start Heavy Metal? That depend if you consider Led Zepplin to be 'Metal' or how much farther you what to go back in music history to the origins of the heavier sound.

Are they the best? I don't know, I guess that's a matter of opinion.

Thing is, people will almost unanimously point to the first Sabbath record as year zero for heavy metal. Some people might say, "Led Zepp 1, Vincebus Eruptum (by Blue Cheer), blah blah blah", but at the same time a lot of folk wouldn't agree with it.

Whilst Sabbath certainly didn't invent metal outright (as it's such an obvious perversion of blues based hard rock and there's loads of proto-metal stuff), they were the first band to truly solidify everything into a complete package; the sound (whether by accident - namely Iommi downtuning his guitar because of his damaged fingers), the aesthetic, lyrical concepts, etc.

Heck, they even managed to invent the first sub-genre of it (doom) that is still as presented by them today, almost a half century later.

Advertisement