Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adare House or Park House Hotel?

Options
  • 24-07-2016 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

The wife and I are planning a week long return trip to Galway City this winter and want to stay close to the Shop Street area. We usually stay at the ParkHouse Hotel but considering a change. Anyone familiar with the Adare GuestHouse in Galway? Food? Service?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Afaik, it's good.

Have a look at The Herons Rest Boutique Bed & Breakfast too.
    It's on Long Walk so on the most recognised address in Galway

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

Park house and adare guesthouse are two very different places, one is a four star hotel in the heart of the city which is very well run and the other is a guest house a little walk away(I've no experience of adare house so can't comment on the experience), the only reason I would move between the two is if there is a big price difference

• Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ya - do you want a hotel (with an on-site bar, and likely other facilities) or a BnB?

AFAIK both are good at being what they are, but the only thing they have in common is beds and breakfasts. Even then, I'd expect a hotel to offer a better breakfast range than a guest-house ever would.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭mdo

Having stayed at the Park House during our 2008/2009 visits, we agree the Park House is an outstanding 4 star hotel with an excellent breakfast and on-site bar. We prefer visiting during February when the room rates and crowds are low and plan to stay at least 14 days. Considering how little time we spent in our room on our last visits, and how much time was spent in the pubs and sightseeing, a 50 euro per day savings would allow us to extend our trip by 10 additional days. Since this could be our last trip to your beautiful country, the real question is would you give up a few luxuries to be able to extend the stay by 10 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

That makes sense.

The room is really just somewhere to sleep if you're an active couple.
    Adare House should be just fine for you then.

If you're staying two weeks you might even want to get your own home, check airbnb
    https://www.airbnb.com/s/Galway--Ireland?type=bnb

Oh, and welcome back to Galway :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,952 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

mdo wrote: »
    the real question is would you give up a few luxuries to be able to extend the stay by 10 days?

Yes, in a heartbeat.

When I travel, I usually stay in hostels for just that reason.

Advertisement