Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog Doesn't want to get his nails cut, what to do?

• 24-07-2016 10:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭

We have a Basset Hound who is petrified of getting his nails cut and won't let you do it.It's almost impossible to cut them.

We've had to have him sedated the last few times to get it done but to be honest I don't want to have to do it to him as the last time he was sedated he wasn't himself for a couple of days and I'd prefer not to be doing it over and over again for the rest of his life.

Do people have any solutions for this

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Walking doesn't work on its own for many dogs to keep the nails down. It certainly won't get most dogs' nails short if they're already long... And Bassets have nails like tree trunks.
    It's a very common problem op, and I'd hope the vet didn't use the usual pre-op sedation that many use because it's not appropriate for addressing problems that involve fear (eg fear of fireworks, nail trimming, grooming). Fine as a pre-anaesthesia sedative, but not as a "behavioural" sedative, if you see what I mean... It knocks their bodies out, but not their brains, so whilst they lie there unable to move, they're fully aware of what's going on around them. So you can imagine that using this particular sedative to groom or trim nails generally makes the problem worse.
    It'll be a slow, gradual process to address the issue, first just showing him the nail trimmers, and treating him ad nauseum. Then you move the trimmers gradually closer to his feet, praising and treating him. Then touching the trimmer off his feet.... Praise and treat. Then touching it off his toes... Praise and treat. Then opening it around his nail.. Praise and treat... You get the idea!
    Have you heard of clicker training? It's perfect for just this sort of training. Here's a video of the wonderful Sophia Yin, sadly no longer with us, clicker training a very peed off little dog to have his nails trimmed... Not that most people will achieve results as quickly as she does... But you get the idea I hope!
    https://youtu.be/WWZUcLfHXLE

You'll need to do a bit of background work first to teach your dog what the clicker means, and use powerfully rewarding treats that you know he adores... Bassets tend not to be shy about loving their grub :o
    The clicker marks a precise moment in time to the dog to tell him "see what you were doing the moment you heard the click? That's what you're getting this delicious treat for". You can also use your voice, but you need to use the same sound/word each time, such as "Yessss!" at the precise moment you want to tell your dog he's done brilliantly :)
    Does this make sense?
    You could also work with a really good and sympathetic groomer on this, especially if you're not happy to do the actual cutting (and let's face it...you cannot afford to make a mistake with this dog... I assume his fear stems from having been "quicked" before).
    Another possibility is to do all of the above training, but get rid of the nail trimmers altogether and use an electric file instead. Tk123 here uses one... Over to her for how she finds it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 454 ✭✭liquoriceall

Must be a basset thing! My basset hates trimming his nails! I really only do his dew claws, I'm probably a bit mean but I get someone to hold him down and I just do it and treat him afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

testicles wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

Doesn't work.

The other 2 dogs,Springer Spaniel Cross and Bullmastiff have no nail issues and we've never needed to cut them once.Their nails are really small and thin whereas as alluded to earlier the bassets nails are huge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

DBB wrote: »
    Another possibility is to do all of the above training, but get rid of the nail trimmers altogether and use an electric file instead. Tk123 here uses one... Over to her for how she finds it! :D

Yeah I have a cordless Dremel and Bailey is much happier having his nails filed with that than using a clippers! The pinching of the clippers can hurt them - he cried the other day when I cut one of his nails and I was nowhere near the quick. If I'm using the clippers I'm lucky to get one or two nails trimmed a day before he tells me to FO but he's a divil because he doesn't complain when he gets them trimmed at the vets lol!!:rolleyes: With the Dremel I can usually do all the nails in one go. You only hold it on each nail for a few seconds or they get hot so you get it done quickly enough and you don't have to worry about cutting the quick etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement