Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Marvel's Black Panther (2018)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,912 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

That was excellent I must say.

Like most Marvel films it has flaws but overall a really enjoyable film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,930 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Yeah really enjoyed it

The main story was quite good and amazing how this culture was hidden from all the other MCU story's (well except for CA Civil War)

Really hyped for Infinity war now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Saw it earlier. Impressive film visually, actually decent storyline.

Villains not so great. MARVEL problem in general though. Real good way of telling the lore of the Black Panther and Wakanda.

2 after film scenes for those hanging on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Just back from it aswell, Loved it , great film which touches nicely on some real world problems but still staying firmly in comic book movie territory , I loved the villain , Great performances all around too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That was great! 3D is decent but you can live without it.

Note, there are two post credit scenes! Both important!

- Great action
    - Solid story. So much storylines in one!
    - Top baddie!
    -
    Dem emotions though

OH MAN! THE INFINITY WARS TRAILER IN IMAX
    ... like... it made the Pacific Rim 2 trailer which followed look amateurish :eek:

love triangle between Bucky Barnes and Black Panthers sister??? They seem to be getting on really well
    obv Thanos knows about wankanda and attacks there in infinity war. Why would Captain America go there ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

A little underwhelming after Thor and Spiderman tbh.

Feels like a strange place for an origin story as well in the greater marvel timeline. I think this film would have been better served coming out after Civil War or somewhere further back but definitely not as the lead in for Infinity War.
    Very surprised by how little it actually ties in with Infinity War. Not that the main film had to tie in but the credit scenes, at least one should have been about what's coming in a few weeks.

I thought for sure the closing shot of the after credits would have been Thanos arriving at earth or something... Anything.

Anyway, the fight scene was pretty poor for the challenge between T'Challa and Killmonger.

The close up, quick shots, million cuts per second fight scene does my head in. I'm sure both of the actors are capable of much better as well.

Unfortunately it's pretty prevalent in the MCU and I'm worried we'll be seeing more of it in IF. Just properly choreograph and show the god damn fight.

Anyway the film itself is pretty decent. Standard stuff from Marvel at this stage and some clever ideas with vibranium weapons and technology. It's well acted and I enjoyed the story it told overall.

I think most people will probably enjoy it enough but I can't see this being a standout when looking back over the MCU in a few of years time.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    obv Thanos knows about wankanda and attacks there in infinity war. Why would Captain America go there ??
    He went there after civil war. Nemo killed BPs Dad and Cap needed somewhere to go
    Here's the
    Civil War
    post credits scene which
    showed them there
    : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymz_7OypC2Y

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Getting really good reviews, but I'll be cautious, I feel every film reviewer will give it a glowing review otherwise he'll be smeared as a racist and their career in the film industry will be done - can't blame them.

I'll see for myself.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Getting really good reviews, but I'll be cautious, I feel every film reviewer will give it a glowing review otherwise he'll be smeared as a racist and their career in the film industry will be done - can't blame them.

I'll see for myself.

The key to getting away with criticising the film without being called racist is not to say anything racist in the review. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

A little underwhelming after Thor and Spiderman tbh.

Feels like a strange place for an origin story as well in the greater marvel timeline. I think this film would have been better served coming out after Civil War or somewhere further back but definitely not as the lead in for Infinity War.
    Very surprised by how little it actually ties in with Infinity War. Not that the main film had to tie in but the credit scenes, at least one should have been about what's coming in a few weeks.

I thought for sure the closing shot of the after credits would have been Thanos arriving at earth or something... Anything.

I agree
    I am assuming they have the Soul Gem there in the middle of the Vibranium rock and that's why they bury them in the ground and talk to their anscesters They probably don't know they have it.
    Some clever ideas with vibranium weapons and technology. It's well acted and I enjoyed the story it told overall.

Looking at Tonys suit in the Infinity Wars trailer, something caught my eye. Instead of it being the Bleeding Edge Armour
    In the film where the Wakandans say they will share their technology, I am wondering if its a Mix of Tonys Suit and the technology used to put the suit on the Black Panther.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The key to getting away with criticising the film without being called racist is not to say anything racist in the review. :p

Not really, I would love if it still worked that way but we are living in a hyperbolic world right now where identity politics are at the forefront of the entertainment industry, Ed Power who already gave the film a score that was not perfect has already been labeled a Racist by many and his review does not contain any racist sentiment what so ever.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Not really, I would love if it still worked that way but we are living in a hyperbolic world right now where identity politics are at the forefront of the entertainment industry, Ed Power who already gave the film a score that was not perfect has already been labeled a Racist by many and his review does not contain any racist sentiment what so ever.

Nah no one worth listening to or talking about would call that review racist. Just file them along with the nut jobs on the other end who think every blockbuster is sjw propaganda. No rational people actually hold these views.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

I liked it, it was very enjoyable. Compared to Spidey and Civil War though, I wasn’t nearly as thrilled by it. Saying that I am a sucker for Spider-Man in almost any context. But it’s a good film for sure. I’m glad as Marvel often does, the MCU world building is mostly confined to the post credits stuff too.

Tefral wrote: »

I agree
    I am assuming they have the Soul Gem there in the middle of the Vibranium rock and that's why they bury them in the ground and talk to their anscesters They probably don't know they have it.
    Looking at Tonys suit in the Infinity Wars trailer, something caught my eye. Instead of it being the Bleeding Edge Armour
    In the film where the Wakandans say they will share their technology, I am wondering if its a Mix of Tonys Suit and the technology used to put the suit on the Black Panther.

I never noticed. Would make sense though.
    With them sharing their tech then obviously Tony would be first in line to get his hands on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I liked this but I didn't love it as much as I wanted to. The first half is great with some really fun action and ideas however as soon as Killmonger really comes into play I felt it all went a little flat (especially coming straight after Thor Ragnarok). I'll go into more detail when people have seen it and the spoiler ban is lifted.

I kept going I know her face I know her face I know her but without the dreadlocks it took a while to see it was Michonne.

Slydice wrote: »
    He went there after civil war. Nemo killed BPs Dad and Cap needed somewhere to go
    Here's the
    Civil War
    post credits scene which
    showed them there
    : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymz_7OypC2Y

So what timeline is black panther set

How come cap doesn't make an appearance on the movie if hes supposably there ??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

PTH2009 wrote: »
    So what timeline is black panther set

How come cap doesn't make an appearance on the movie if hes supposably there ??

No
    Cap is off with the other exiled avengers still doing Avengers stuff separately from Stark and Rhodey etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

A typically balanced review by Stuckmann

• Advertisement

No
    Cap is off with the other exiled avengers still doing Avengers stuff separately from Stark and Rhodey etc

Ah with All the different timelines are confusing. At least when infinity war comes out there all in the one timeline

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,294 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Really enjoyed it. The majority of the cast were excellent especially Michael B Jordan, Letitia Wright and Boseman himself. It starts slow but picked up a lot as it went on. I even think it's better than some of the other solo efforts recently, particularly Doctor Strange and Ant-Man, though not as good as Thor Ragnarok.

My biggest complaint is
    the ending at the basketball court is weak as hell. The mid-credits scene at the UN would have been a far better ending for the film. They could have even transitioned from the kid asking T'Challa who he was to him being announced at the UN and walking towards the stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Really enjoyed Andy Serkis in this, he was fantastic in every scene he was in.

Overall a good film and one of the better stand alone marvel movies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,947 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I'll see for myself.

Agree with the reviewer comment.
    I went to see it yestreday with my son and my youngest brother(14 and 17).
    Its a visually impressive movie, the story, the pacing and the threat were all fairly cookie cutter imo.
    There was nothing great about this movie and in the wake of Ragnorak it was a regression in quality.
    The 2 young folk are of the opinion that it was very weak and rated it on a par with Ironman 3 as their least liked MCU movie.

I really do feel that the movie is getting inflated reviews as a result of fear.
    Nobody wants to be the first to stick their head above the parapet and be the one to point out the emperor's new clothes.
    It struck me as the MCU movie Spike Lee would make if let loose in the MCU but ordered to keep it family friendly, but that is me speaking from the position of a priviliged white male ;)

The lack of threat from the villains in the MCU is an understandable result of catering to family friendly fare.
    That said Serkis really played up his role and I do love a baddy with a south african accent!
    The best MCU villains to date IMO have been KingPin and Kilgrave, as they TV shows have a freer hand to explore darker themes.
    I'd hope that with Marvel subsuming the X-Men and fantastic 4 rights that a look at the success of Deadpool and Logan will give an appetite for a little more risk when the current phases finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Thought it was great. One of my favourite Marvel standalones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I’d give it a solid 6.5/10. I went on my own so was able to relax and enjoyed it for the most part. Loved Serkis as the hammy villain.

I actually like our hero’s really drab talking style. It oozes calm and confidence and is different from your cardboard cutout fun hero’s we can get from other Marvel hero’s. When the villain clarified his plans, I was like “does he not realize the avengers might intervene?”, but then I just quickly let it go and reminded myself that the avengers don’t care about perilous situations facing their friends or earth standalone hero movies ! :)

Movie was beautiful and while it took me a while to get into it I sort of liked the tribal music throughout.

Not sure my children would enjoy it as much as Thor because it certainly wasn’t as much fun. But then again, Thor was the most fun of all the marvel movies.

In terms of people mentioning ant man and Dr Strange, I think I prob enjoyed this a bit more because it did at least feel different , if not having a generic plot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Decent watch, in no way memorable and in no way anywhere near the top tier Marvel films.

And actually
    made the black panther himself weak throughout, he got his ass spanked in the no powers combat, and redeemed himself by only reacquiring his super powers and having consistent help throughout the final battle to win. Which kinda just makes him look like an unworthy king.

And also, in the interrogation room shoot out scene, he's in full bulletproof body armour, why is he staying behind cover for the majority of the sequence
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LGadd14

Walking out of Black Panther, I had two questions:
    1) Despite being a fan of the MCU, why can't all of their movies be like that?
    2) Can I watch that again right now?
    This is easily one of the best comic-book movies we've had in a long time, because instead of trying to appease the audience with an abundance of action scenes, cheap jokes and unnecessary tie-ins to other movies, 'Black Panther' focuses on fleshing out its characters, introducing us to a world we haven't seen before, and exploring fascinating ideas.
    It also helps that a big part of the central protagonist's arc was shaped by events in 'Captain America: Civil War', preventing this movie from having to do more heavy-lifting and affording it the opportunity to become familiar with those who surround him, such as Lupita Nyong'o's endearing Nakia and Letitia Wright's incredibly charming and funny Shuri, who has the potential to become one of the MCU's most beloved characters.
    Michael B. Jordan's antagonist Erik ''Killmonger'' Stevens makes for a superb antagonist. Rather than planning on destroying the planet or gaining total power, Stevens is driven by feelings of isolation and neglect. His anger is completely understandable, but he goes about resolving it in the wrong manner. He also challenges T'Challa on both a physical and an intellectual level, forcing him to re-evaluate his beliefs and decisions.
    As a blockbuster it delivers in all the areas you would expect: the action is slick and pulsating, with director Ryan Coogler emulating a memorable one-take fight sequence in his previous film 'Creed' with a similarly shot scene here. It's also the best-looking Marvel film by a country mile, with Rachel Morrison's breathtaking cinematography playing a key role in making Wakanda such an absorbing setting. However, the ideas addressed in 'Black Panther' elevate it to a level above most superhero films. The characters face the issue of being protective of their home, or being loyal to an entire diaspora. They also have to reflect on the mistakes of past generations, and how to correct them in the society they inhabit. It's so refreshing to see a big studio film like this feel very personal.
    If this doesn't end up being the best comic-book movie of 2018, we're in for one hell of a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

That was really good, I am not in a hurry to see it again as the story was very simple so I dont think I will get anything from watching it again but it was a really enjoyable film, except for some dodgy cgi here and there the over all look of the film was top notch. I was worried about the film being too political/preachy but it was fine, I mean there are a few throw away lines but given the subject matter it is understandable. Recommended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

I kept going I know her face I know her face I know her but without the dreadlocks it took a while to see it was Michonne.

THANK-you. That was driving me feckin' nuts watching it earlier today. Kept saying to my OH that "I know her face from something else".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Did anyone else feel the "acting"in this was atrocious?
    Like no one goes to these marvel films for a acting master class as the movie set pieces generally at the centre point of marvel spectacles but the level of acting in this seemed hugely below par, like entry-level -acting to a point where I found it hugely distracting throughout

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭den87

Thought it was very good up until the ending which I thought was a bit of a mess and very thrown together. Thought Michael B. Jordan was great.

It felt like something completely different and fresh to start with but those last 20 mins kind of went with the same system they use to wrap up most Marvel films.

All in all good fun, great in parts but as one poster said no desire to watch again any time soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I thought it was good but not great. Nothing like Thor Ragnarok of course, but better than Ant Man and Dr Strange from the more recent standalone films. I think the biggest thing that hurt it is we know most of them are alive in Infinity War cos of trailers and casting news there, so the finale didn't have as much impact.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I thought it was pretty good. When you get over the implausibility of the Wakanda situation and the super-genius looking like she's nineteen years old, it benefitted from being character driven and having an intense, believable, non-CGI villain (who was cooler than the hero, according to my kids).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,156 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Up there with one of my favourite stand alone MCU movies. Being greedy I'd have liked more of a tie in but we'll be get plenty of that over the next few movies.

Did they explain that the power of the black panther was both
    passed down automatically to the next in line on the death of the former as well as to whoever drank the flower? I thought civil war pointed to the former with BP definitely stated the latter. Hard to reconcile the two, unless T'Challa took a quick trip home during Civil War.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Did they explain that the power of the black panther was both
    passed down automatically to the next in line on the death of the former as well as to whoever drank the flower? I thought civil war pointed to the former with BP definitely stated the latter. Hard to reconcile the two, unless T'Challa took a quick trip home during Civil War.

I had assumed that T'Challa had been acting as the Black Panther before CW given his father's age and therefore already drunken of the plant.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I had assumed that T'Challa had been acting as the Black Panther before CW given his father's age and therefore already drunken of the plant.

That makes a lot of sense. Probably have a sub-in role at a certain stage but had to follow his fathers orders until his death. Couldn't see the father we saw at the UN quite fitting into the costume like he did back in the day.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    That makes a lot of sense. Probably have a sub-in role at a certain stage but had to follow his fathers orders until his death. Couldn't see the father we saw at the UN quite fitting into the costume like he did back in the day.

No, and on that note (sort of) does anybody else find it weird that
    Klau hadn't aged in 20 years?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw it tonight and thought it was terrible. Had been looking forward to this movie since I saw the initial reactions after the premier a few weeks back. But alas they fooled me again, those glowing reviews. The acting was attrocious, especially from the lead guy playing black panther and michael B jordan. The film as a whole had a serious pacing problem, like it just kept falling flat. The dialogue was embarrassing and the story weak. I went a few friends and everyone thought it was one of the worst films they'd seen in a while(even worse than 50 shades freed). Boring and uninspired, dont believe the hype.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,553 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Thought it was good overall, but hated like 80% of the stuff coming out of Killmongers mouth
    including his last line.

The practical black panther suit stuff was fine but a lot of the CGI there looked off (
    the falling fight
    . They had a lot to do with their 200m budget but so did Thor, and except for a few scene (especially that weird super mario jump in the first fight) it looked better for a lot less.

Going to have to re watch Homecoming to see how that didn't annoy me as much, but unlike Thor or Black panther that didn't have to build a city and could do a lot more with practical effects leaving more of the budget for the character CGI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,153 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I generally enjoy the Marvel films for what they are: Good popcorn blockbusters - Entertaining fun but no more really. Thor: Ragnarock of course was the most fun and I found Iron Man 3 and Captain America 2 & 3 most interesting. This was the same. First I'll get the negatives out:
    • Thought Martin Freeman was pointless in it and his accent is terrible.
    • Could have lightened up just a wee bit. There are funny bits and it's not "Logan" but could have done with just one or two lighter moments.

Liked
    • First up. Never thought it was "worthy". For all the hype about it being an important "black" superhero film it never felt that way. I know you always have people saying things like "Oh I never noticed their colour" and up until now that always rang false to me. But I just thought this genuinely was a fun and exciting film and it wasn't just a fun and exciting "black" film. It's motives were a bit more interesting than most but it's still a popcorn movie (and mothing wrong with that)
    • I thought the cast (Apart from Freeman) was superb. Especially the women.
    • Car chase was totally OTT and great fun.
    • As stated above, I thought the villian's motive was interesting and he was probably my favourite villain after Robert Redford for this reason.
    • Good that you need not know anything about the comics or the other movies.
    • Loved the mid credit sequence. Tell me that wasn't written post Trump.

So: TLDR: Great fun. Entertaining. Not "Worthy"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Genuinely good film. Bit of a drag in the middle section and the fighting suffered from the usual problems of impossibly powerful and practically invincible super-people fights, but everything else was definitely a sharp cut above the usual Marvel output.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Varik wrote: »
    Thought it was good overall, but hated like 80% of the stuff coming out of Killmongers mouth
    including his last line.

+1 on this, I thought he was really really terrible tbh. Aside from that quite a different and enjoyable film. I really do like the African culture, music and art woven into the film, with the tech particularly. The lab for example seemed so much more alive than a generic US avengers or CIA lab with the tribal painted surfaces.

I also thought it was
    a bit of a waste to just kill off Klau, he's a great character and could have done with being around for some future films

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Was decent. Only decent. Suffers from the same problem that a lot of super heroes suffer from in that the 3rd act just goes off a cliff. You dont HAVE to have a giant mess of a battle or ships blowing each other up. A bit of subtlety is fine every now and then.

Excellent villain. This guy had reasons and proper motives for everything he did. He wasn't just some crazy moustache twirling guy who wanted to rule the world. He had grievances....legit ones tbh. Yeah, okay he was a murderer but everyone in the movie is when it comes down to it. It keeps the list of good villains going. Zemo, The Vulture and now the Killmonger are much stronger than most of the Marvel Villains we've seen so far. So it gets points there.

But I agree with Cookie Monster regarding Klau. Serkis was so good that I feel they have missed a good opportunity there.

Not a patch on Thor 3 or Civil War which were both excellent. Some of the love its getting is a little confusing to me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,633 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Klau was the biggest disappointment, needed to see much more of him.
    Otherwise the film was nicely paced, given it had to do all the exposition of an origin story, which is what it is.
    It didn't grab me the way Guardians or Antman did, nor was it as entertaining as good as Winter Soldier or Ragnarok.
    But it was easily streets ahead of IM3, Ultron and the first two Thor films.
    Spiderman got away with a lot of the exposition baggage by just being Spiderman, so we all know his story, and it slotted into the existing MCU so less explanation again.
    Black Panther had to begin from base principles and this hampered its ability to tell a bigger story but then it used it to it's advantage, doing some good character development.
    What was impressive too was the development of the films characters from the source material, which could be considered culturally insensitive.

Damn! You know.. watching Thanos crew going toe to toe with the Wakandans in the Infinity War trailer

AFTER seeing the level at which the Wakandans are operating at :eek:

It's heading for the 5th largest opening in US box office history.

Kirby wrote: »
    It keeps the list of good villains going. Zemo, The Vulture and now the Killmonger are much stronger than most of the Marvel Villains we've seen so far. So it gets points there.

Zemo? Interesting, I didn't think people thought he was good. Found him little more than a prop to move between scenes myself.

I'm trying to think back now to what exactly happens to him at the end of CW. He's locked up I think? It was such a non-event I can't really be sure.

I did really like both Vulture and Killmonger though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement