Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best/Worst places to live in Dublin City and County

Options
  • 24-07-2016 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭

What do you believe to be the best and worst places to live in County Dublin as a whole? For me my favourite places would be in North County Dublin along the coast. If I won the Lotto or the Euromillions one of the first things I'd do is buy a nice house in Howth.
    Places I would avoid like the plague however would be Finglas, Ballymun or anywhere in West Dublin. Also Swords because there's way too many people from work living out there.

I'm hoping to buy a place soon in the next couple of years so I'd love to read people's opinions on this :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭Sir Osis of Liver.

Tipperary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

I prefer Dalkey, I think it's a bit more upmarket than Howth and on the plus side it's nowhere near the north side.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Having lived both North-side (Santry) and South-side (Cherrywood) I'd pick the North-side every day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,384 ✭✭✭corner of hells

What do you believe to be the best and worst places to live in County Dublin as a whole? For me my favourite places would be in North County Dublin along the coast. If I won the Lotto or the Euromillions one of the first things I'd do is buy a nice house in Howth.
    Places I would avoid like the plague however would be Finglas, Ballymun or anywhere in West Dublin. Also Swords because there's way too many people from work living out there.

I'm hoping to buy a place soon in the next couple of years so I'd love to read people's opinions on this :)

Hows the view from your ivory tower this morning ?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Dublin forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Duff wrote: »
    Having lived both North-side (Santry) and South-side (Cherrywood) I'd pick the North-side every day of the week.

2 places hardly indicative of either North of South side. Miles from anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

Birneybau wrote: »
    2 places hardly indicative of either North of South side. Miles from anywhere.

Whoops, thought the OP said "County Dublin as a whole".

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Northside vs Southside doesn't really mean anything anymore. Northside, the supposed skanger side has Castleknock, Portmarnock and Clontarf whereas Southside has such 'posh' places like Ballyfermot, Tallaght and Crumlin.

The real divide, if there is one, is West and East I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,605 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Best: Donaghmede (where I am.... it is a lovely area)
    Worst: Rathmines (God... the roads are so small, even smaller than Fairview's)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Malahide :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,933 ✭✭✭smurgen

Clontarf.hated the idea of moving to dublin as a cork man but made a home away from home in clontarf.dollymount strand is the business ,never have to go into the city centre and easy access to the airport and m50. Wouldn't live anywhere else in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Best: The Liberties

Worst: North Circular Road, becoming worse the closer you get to Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Omackeral wrote: »
    Northside vs Southside doesn't really mean anything anymore. Northside, the supposed skanger side has Castleknock, Portmarnock and Clontarf whereas Southside has such 'posh' places like Ballyfermot, Tallaght and Crumlin.

The real divide, if there is one, is West and East I think.
    The real divide isn't geographical, it's simply rich and poor, relatively speaking. Always was, always will be.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Omackeral wrote: »

It never did really. It was more a slagging thing like the Dubs and culchies until some people decided it was an actual thing.
    The place you mention have been there for decades at this stage.
    A more realistic wealth divide is East and West but I could pluck holes in that one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Rothmans

Drumcondra, phibsboro, ranelagh , rathmines, Rialto , portobello (most of the south inner city tbh) donnybrook, blackrock, clonskeagh, dundrum, goatstown would all appeal to me. Areas I would find unappealing would be West Dublin in general, ballymun, ballyfermot, finglas.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    It never did really. It was more a slagging thing like the Dubs and culchies until some people decided it was an actual thing.
    The place you mention have been there for decades at this stage.
    A more realistic wealth divide is East and West but I could pluck holes in that one too.

That's true. But I was always of the opinion that south county Dublin (anywhere in south Dublin without a post code, basically) was regarded as the posh area, rather than all parts of Dublin south if the Liffey.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Rothmans wrote: »
    That's true. But I was always of the opinion that south county Dublin (anywhere in south Dublin without a post code, basically) was regarded as the posh area, rather than all parts of Dublin south if the Liffey.

Maybe but Donnybrook, Rathfarnham, Terenure etc would be considered nice and have postcodes. Equally Howth on the Northside wouldn't have a postcode but is considered nice.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Maybe but Donnybrook, Rathfarnham, Terenure etc would be considered nice and have postcodes. Equally Howth on the Northside wouldn't have a postcode but is considered nice.

Oh yes I agree. There are of course very nice area in the south city and north county. But the point I was trying to make is that south county Dublin, as a whole would probably be regarded as a very well to do/posh area. Of course there are holes in this theory too, given that there are some areas like sallynoggin etc which don't necessarily live up to this stereotype. D4 of course is another example of an area typically regarded as being very posh.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Worst: Dolphins Barn
    Best: Howth or Dalkey. Both are very secluded and have nice but busy villages. Good transport too.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Tipperary Fairy

Tipperary.

It's a long way, ya know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'm a northsider (/eastsider) living on the southside (/westside).

I have identity issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 bad_doctor

if i could live anywhere in dublin , id probably live in sandymount but there are plenty of nice places

malahide
    blackrock

a modest area i like is stoneybatter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

Not another Dubs V Jackeens thread!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

bad_doctor wrote: »
    if i could live anywhere in dublin , id probably live in sandymount but there are plenty of nice places

malahide
    blackrock

a modest area i like is stoneybatter

Can hardly call it modest these days of gentrification. It's got a lot going for it. Proximity to town, the park, Luas coming, Grangegorman campus, massively beardy demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Galway is nicer.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Galway is nicer.

That's great. But this thread is about Dublin.

Can hardly call it modest these days of gentrification. It's got a lot going for it. Proximity to town, the park, Luas coming, Grangegorman campus, massively beardy demographic.

well its still cheaper to buy a house in stoneybatter than it is in the likes of beaumont which is a complete snorefest and with no proper transport links to town , modest is not an insult in my book

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

Mod: Moved from After Hours to Dublin City forum. Please read the Dublin City charter.

Ficheall wrote: »
    Galway is nicer.

most over rated city in ireland by a mile and with by far the worst climate of any city

• Advertisement

As another poster said, it's really more of an East-West divide, much like global geopolitics.

The line doesn't come right down the middle though, it's sloped to give a broad southside advantage, to illustrate:

https://s32.postimg.org/b1yxjjw9h/tadhgpaint.png

Advertisement