Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best/Worst places to live in Dublin City and County

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

bad_doctor wrote: »
    well its still cheaper to buy a house in stoneybatter than it is in the likes of beaumont which is a complete snorefest and with no proper transport links to town , modest is not an insult in my book

Modest I took to mean reasonably priced. It's not, in my book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13 bad_doctor

Modest I took to mean reasonably priced. It's not, in my book.

it is reasonably priced , plenty of 800 sqr foot two up two downs can be bought for around 275 k

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Anywhere in Raheny or any area bordering it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hazydays123

Rothmans wrote: »
    Drumcondra, phibsboro, ranelagh , rathmines, Rialto , portobello (most of the south inner city tbh) donnybrook, blackrock, clonskeagh, dundrum, goatstown would all appeal to me. Areas I would find unappealing would be West Dublin in general, ballymun, ballyfermot, finglas.

Couldn't agree with you on Rialto. Live near it and used to work in it. The streets are full of litter (not to mention dog faeces), you're never more than a few feet away from very rundown council flats. There's a general air of dilapidation about the place and I certainly wouldn't feel safe there.
    Walked through the area on a sunny day last week and lost count of all the pyjama clad locals drinking cans on the side of the street, yelling at each other/their feral kids.
    It's a pity because it's a great central area with lots of amenities. I don't see it becoming in any way gentrified for a long time.
    Even if you could get over all the above, where would you send your kids to school, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I love Griffith avenue!! It's so beautiful and leafy! The jewel of the north side.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    A more realistic wealth divide is East and West but I could pluck holes in that one too.
    It's probably more broadly true on the south side, there are little pockets of nice and not-so-nice but there is a general theme of the east side being nicer. I don't think there's much of a pattern on the north side though.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

On topic I moved to Stoneybatter last year and I absolutely love it. In terms of bang for your buck there are few better places. Great mix of people, lots of amenities and very good night life.

I’m reading a book of oral histories from residents of the area published in 1989. Very interesting stuff. Makes me a little sad at times to see some of things that have been lost but that’s life I guess. The old sense of community I think has faded although the place is still streets ahead of anywhere else I’ve lived. I hang out with a bunch of my neighbours and there’s a regular enough group of people who’ll be outside their front doors chatting away whenever the weather’s decent. Generally the place is probably better preserved than any other part of Dublin and it still retains much of its ‘urban village’ feeling. My gaff in particular is deathly quiet and secluded, you’d never know you’re a 10/15 minute walk from O’Connell Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

As another poster said, it's really more of an East-West divide, much like global geopolitics.

The line doesn't come right down the middle though, it's sloped to give a broad southside advantage, to illustrate:

https://s32.postimg.org/b1yxjjw9h/tadhgpaint.png

If only I had seen this earlier I wouldn't have bought a house in the bad part of town. Tis very close,maybe we can do a land swap.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

As another poster said, it's really more of an East-West divide, much like global geopolitics.

The line doesn't come right down the middle though, it's sloped to give a broad southside advantage, to illustrate:

https://s32.postimg.org/b1yxjjw9h/tadhgpaint.png

I think that line goes right through the house I'm renting :pac:

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I've always wanted to live on the Strawberry beds. The countryside that's about 15 minutes from town. There's a slight chance I can afford it some day. Anywhere else along the south Dart line would do nicely. Plus Malahide and Howth.

I grew up in Tallaght. I'll never live there again.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

If I was to move back to Dublin I would move to Stoneybatter. I grew up there and I love the spot. The worst spot is Castlecurragh in Mulhuddart. Jesus I still have nightmares about living there :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Best place in all of Dublin?

Lambay Island, without doubt. Not many people can lay claim to a whole island just off Dublin city. On the mainland, Coliemore Road in Dalkey is in a class of its own. Go down this Streetview. Just look at this view which Vincent Browne had from his back garden. I never thought there was that much money in journalism! I wouldn't be too pushed about the rest of Dalkey, or even the other side of Coliemore Road! For the nicest house (i.e. sea views) on the market in the past few years it's between that house and this house in Sandycove.

Sorrento Terrace is gorgeous as is all the road along the coast from Dalkey to Killiney. Sandymount along the sea is lovely. Howth is my favourite village in all Dublin; it beats Chapelizod because it's beside the sea and unlike Dún Laoghaire and its street nomenclature it has kept its Irish village feel to it. Balscadden road coming up from Howth overlooking Ireland's Eye and Lambay Island is up there with Vico Road. The rest of Killiney and the southside is meh. Shrewsbury, Ailesbury, Cross Avenue, Temple Road and all the rest are ridiculously overrated. Waltham Terrace (the old part) in Blackrock is my favourite inland road in Dublin as it's like going back to the 1830s full of quaint cottages. Likewise with Prospect Square at the old entrance to Glasnevin Cemetery where Dublin's greatest pub, The Gravediggers, is. Both are very peaceful, quaint places.

I also like the walk from Portrane to Donabate, and the pier in Rush, and Skerries has the best community feel in Dublin to it. I'd love to buy that tiny isolated cottage on the Sutton side of the Howth-Sutton cliff walk (the one right next to the path), easily the nicest coastal walk in Dublin if not Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

North County all Day LOng

Clontarf , Malahide , Portmarock , Howth and Sutton all lovely spots Castlenock is also a nice area, much prefer the Northside to the Southside.

Even Swords is a good town lots to do in the place and some nice estates

Wouldn't go near Clondalkin , Coolock , Finglas , Tallaght , Ballyfermot , Ballymun or Blanchardstown or any of those types of areas with allot of council / social and affordable housing , working Class and immigrant areas.

The south side is just way over priced for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Wouldn't go near Clondalkin , Coolock , Finglas , Tallaght , Ballyfermot , Ballymun or Blanchardstown or any of those types of areas with allot of council / social and affordable housing , working Class and immigrant areas.

I'm a working class immigrant, but I live in Drumcondra. You've gotta watch out for people like us, we're everywhere!

cactusgal wrote: »
    I'm a working class immigrant, but I live in Drumcondra. You've gotta watch out for people like us, we're everywhere!

Nothing personal just don't wanna live in that kinda area :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

A house in Dun Laoighre by the People's Park and the Pier

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Nothing personal just don't wanna live in that kinda area :P

I wouldn't want to have a neighbor who didn't want me around bc I wasn't born in Ireland. In this increasingly globalised world ... good luck on your continued quest of avoiding immigrants.

cactusgal wrote: »
    I wouldn't want to have a neighbor who didn't want me around bc I wasn't born in Ireland. In this increasingly globalised world ... good luck on your continued quest of avoiding immigrants.

Thank You , it's going well so far mostly middle class Irish neighbors so far, fingers crossed it continues when we buy our first house next year .

I've very little interest in being a global citizen or any of that nonsense, thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It's probably more broadly true on the south side, there are little pockets of nice and not-so-nice but there is a general theme of the east side being nicer. I don't think there's much of a pattern on the north side though.

Howth, Sutton, Clontarf, Raheny, Portmarnack, Malahide would be the ones I was thinking of. All desireable places to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭woodseb

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Maybe but Donnybrook, Rathfarnham, Terenure etc would be considered nice and have postcodes. Equally Howth on the Northside wouldn't have a postcode but is considered nice.

that'd be Howth, Dublin 13?

• Advertisement

woodseb wrote: »

Does anyone even send post anymore ??? like Irishtown is in D4 so the old postcodes are kind of a thing of the past now no

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Omackeral wrote: »
    Northside vs Southside doesn't really mean anything anymore. Northside, the supposed skanger side has Castleknock, Portmarnock and Clontarf whereas Southside has such 'posh' places like Ballyfermot, Tallaght and Crumlin.

The real divide, if there is one, is West and East I think.

You sound like a snob, tallaght is actually fine. I have lived here for almost a year and never had any trouble. Tallaght covers a huge area, and 95% of Tallaght is fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

working Class and immigrant areas.
    You sound like a snob,
    Mod: Less of the above. Please familiarise yourselves with the charter. Tx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

woodseb wrote: »
    Either D13 or County works and even the Howth Post Office don't know. Most, if not all, street name plates in Howth and some in eastern Sutton don't have the 13 displayed on them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

There's some great value in Finglas East. The west part...yeah, there are some pockets of criminal activity and some neighbours you mightnt like to have, for sure, but along the east side there's some lovely houses at keen prices. My dad grew up on McKee road and its matured very nicely in recent years.

Same as Kilbarrack, btw..to a lesser extent. Ex-corporation houses for 260 000 and under..a few mins from the coast and 10km from the city center.

These are the places I'd be looking to buy in. The very same ex-corporation ( and I do mean the very same ) in Dalkey/ Dundrum/ Sallynoggin will cost an extra 150000, 200000. Perception is a funny thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭triple nipple

Thank You , it's going well so far mostly middle class Irish neighbors so far, fingers crossed it continues when we buy our first house next year .

Wow, perhaps you'd be more comfortable in England with the other wasps.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hibernia93

I hate these threads it's just another way for people to categorise and make themselves fell better. For anyone snobby or up themselves to say "I'm better because I was born in Dalkey or Blackrock or another affluent area with your fake Dublin accent which didn't even exist up until the late 80's I'd ask you to remember that it's only an accident that you happened to be born into a certain family or wealth nothing from your own hard work or craft just accept this it could be gone in a flash I'm sure some during the economic crash experienced this. If I could choose to live somewhere I probably would pick somewhere like Bayside near some lovely views but I wouldn't have to put up the likes of some of the narrow minded posters here :).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Best: Donaghmede (where I am.... it is a lovely area)
    Worst: Rathmines (God... the roads are so small, even smaller than Fairview's)

id love rathmines if most of the the apartments were not overpriced hovels. still a great location though.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

You sound like a snob, tallaght is actually fine. I have lived here for almost a year and never had any trouble. Tallaght covers a huge area, and 95% of Tallaght is fine.

I was challenging what people stereotypically say about North and Southside. But yeah I'm a definite snob, born and reared in Blanch, living in Drimnagh now (oh the affluence!!!) and both parents hail from luxurious Finglas. Pardon me, I need to top up my Dom Perignon...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hazydays123

Hibernia93 wrote: »
    I hate these threads it's just another way for people to categorise and make themselves fell better. For anyone snobby or up themselves to say "I'm better because I was born in Dalkey or Blackrock or another affluent area with your fake Dublin accent which didn't even exist up until the late 80's I'd ask you to remember that it's only an accident that you happened to be born into a certain family or wealth nothing from your own hard work or craft just accept this it could be gone in a flash I'm sure some during the economic crash experienced this. If I could choose to live somewhere I probably would pick somewhere like Bayside near some lovely views but I wouldn't have to put up the likes of some of the narrow minded posters here :).

I didn't really get the vibe here that anybody was bragging about where they were born, more where they'd aspire to live.
    Lots of people who can afford to live in Blackrock/Dalkey come from working class roots and have done well for themselves.
    Remove chip from shoulder I'd advise.

Advertisement