Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best/Worst places to live in Dublin City and County

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

woodseb wrote: »
    that'd be Howth, Dublin 13?

It was always Co Dublin when I was a teen. Have they extended D13 out that far?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Howth is a lovely spot to look out the windows from, but the traffic home and the crowds in the summers would kill me.

People might have a small trouser accident at the idea of living in the North Strand with (oh crikey) some council flats and houses (and some brown or Polish people!!), but the benefit of being able to walk home from town in fifteen minutes outweighs a great deal of irrational fears.

All my family were brought up in Raheny and the children ended up buying at different points more or less along the 31 bus route - all of which are grand places to live.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hibernia93

I didn't really get the vibe here that anybody was bragging about where they were born, more where they'd aspire to live.
    Lots of people who can afford to live in Blackrock/Dalkey come from working class roots and have done well for themselves.
    Remove chip from shoulder I'd advise.

No chip on my shoulder mate would have no reason to begrudge anyone being born into a certain background as I said it's only an accident and not their fault the parents maybe doctors or cleaners. Not necessarily bragging but stigmatising as I see it the words "best and worst" are used as the thread name no further words needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

i live in dublin 8, love it here - it can be a bit rough around the edges but never a dull moment. never felt unsafe or anything.

would like to live near the sea though, somewhere relatively central to the city too which doesnt leave too many options. good thing about D8 is the rent is typically slightly less than other parts of the city but you have access to all of the same amenities

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Hazydays123

i live in dublin 8, love it here - it can be a bit rough around the edges but never a dull moment. never felt unsafe or anything.

would like to live near the sea though, somewhere relatively central to the city too which doesnt leave too many options. good thing about D8 is the rent is typically slightly less than other parts of the city but you have access to all of the same amenities

D8 varies massively from some of the most expensive parts of Dublin (Portobello, etc) to some of the most densely council-flat populated areas of Dublin (Dolphin's barn, Rialto, Inchicore).
    You could get anything from a 1million property to a flat worth 100k.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Best: Howth

Worst: Finglas

My dream is to live in Howth. I love the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Strong Life in Dublin

Omackeral wrote: »
    I was challenging what people stereotypically say about North and Southside. But yeah I'm a definite snob, born and reared in Blanch, living in Drimnagh now (oh the affluence!!!) and both parents hail from luxurious Finglas. Pardon me, I need to top up my Dom Perignon...

Well forgive me, but I always seen Tallaght mentioned by people who have never lived there time and time again in these type of threads

• Registered Users Posts: 30,263 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Going more for general personal preferences - there are people for whom the below wouldn't be an issue.

I wouldn't want to live somewhere where I'm more than 15 minutes walk from a shop, a pub, or a public transport link to the city centre.
    I wouldn't want to live somewhere that gets over-run on a regular basis e.g. bordering Croke Park, or thinking of Howth in summer.
    I wouldn't want to live on the flight path of the main Dublin airport runway.
    I wouldn't want to live in the city centre.

So I'm thinking along the coastal DART route, as I do like to be beside the sea side...

If not by the sea, then just outside the canals on the southside has a certain charm with everything walkable on your doorstep e.g. Rathmines, Rathgar. On the northside, Drumcondra would tick that box if it wasn't for Croker.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Best: Kilbarrack

Worst: Dundrum, I hate Dundrum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

D8 appears to me to be the most diverse part of the city with regards income and nationality mix. Great vibe about the place. Especially around Thomas Street moving towards the city during the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭tastyt

Chapelizod is a lovely little spot close to town, youd almost forget it was there!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Worst: Dundrum, I hate Dundrum.

Same as. It is an awful souless place.

I am not sure where Kilbarrack is amymore. Everyone seems to be using Raheny in their address now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

I used to hate Dundrum with a passion but the village itself is actually quite nice. And if you're on that side, away from the Town Centre, you can avoid all the traffic etc, have the luas. A lot of really lovely stone cottages too

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Same as. It is an awful souless place.

I am not sure where Kilbarrack is amymore. Everyone seems to be using Raheny in their address now.

We were trying on South Sutton this week now we're North Clontarf. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,396 ✭✭✭DivingDuck

Well forgive me, but I always seen Tallaght mentioned by people who have never lived there time and time again in these type of threads
    Brian? wrote: »
    I grew up in Tallaght. I'll never live there again.

Plenty of people who grew up or lived there in later life didn't appreciate it, the same as with anywhere else.

Liking or disliking of a neighbourhood is as individual as romantic attraction. I've seen people sing the praises of places (both "posh" and "dodgy") that I'd avoid like the plague. It's a very subjective thing.

I do think you can know a place isn't for you without living there, though. Anywhere too rural or too built up would drive me crackers, which I know from living in moderately rural (too quiet) and moderately busy (too populated) suburbs.

My ideal place to live in Dublin would be anywhere along the south coast from Sandymount to Monkstown. Worst for me would be inner city, probably, or Dalkey. The roads in Dalkey would drive me insane, and there are just too many people in town for me to ever feel settled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

bad_doctor wrote: »
    most over rated city in ireland by a mile and with by far the worst climate of any city

Couldnt agree more. Friends of mine have mad craic there. Never saw whats so great about it(im from there).

Swords is or was pretty great. Avoid Ballyogan Wood(there isnt a wood there, probably because the scum burnt it down)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭willabur

been living in Chapelizod for 3 years now, would maybe move for Howth or out that direction but nowhere else

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭thomasj

The line doesn't come right down the middle though, it's sloped to give a broad southside advantage, to illustrate:

As another poster said, it's really more of an East-West divide, much like global geopolitics.

I'm not sure how I'd feel about living on bull island .

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I find it crazy that lots of people automatically rule out the north side or south side completely.
    For me it's not that hard. Pretty much all the expensive areas, they're generally the nicest. Something like this would do:
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/dalkey/coliemore-rd-dalkey-dublin-1102007/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

spurious wrote: »
    Anywhere in Raheny or any area bordering it.

Thank you! I bought a house this year in Raheny, well, I say Raheny but Edenmore ain't that bad. I still use Raheny Dart station and it's only a 30 min cycle to Grafton st. So I feel lucky to get somewhere near the coast on my own.

But if money weren't an issue...

Having lived beside Clontarf most of my life, it's nice and all, but it has no real centre, or any pubs I like, or any supermarkets (I always had an irrational hatred for Nolan's, perhaps it's the well-to-do ladies who lunch brigade who shop there) or any village of significance. Howth is lovely but I always felt a bit isolated, end of the line-ish out there.

I love Sandymount, and Dalkey village I spent a lot of time in over the years with relatives there, it's only gotten better with the gorgeous pubs and restaurants. Dalkey would be no 1 for me.

Worst? I hope I don't offend anyone but anywhere west of Finglas village or so, on both sides of the river.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭thomasj

Would I like to live in these areas ? Yes I'm sure it would be nice.

Would I take out a half a million mortgage and land myself in a mountain of debt just to live in these areas ? No

The whole snobbery thing in this city is one of the reasons alot of people landed themselves in debt and homeless. I'm more than happy to live in blanch, it has good amenities, I'm near the shopping centre but most importantly I'm not witj a mortgage that I know could have me out in the street at any moment . If (heaven forbid ) I lose my job etc

thomasj wrote: »

Would I take out a half a million mortgage and land myself in a mountain of debt just to live in these areas ? No

The whole snobbery thing in this city is one of the reasons alot of people landed themselves in debt and homeless. I'm more than happy to live in blanch, it has good amenities, I'm near the shopping centre but most importantly I'm not witj a mortgage that I know could have me out in the street at any moment . If (heaven forbid ) I lose my job etc

I LOVE Dublin property snobbery now. I was laughing all the way to the bank with what I got and where I got it because the pool of people willing to look out here was much smaller than much rougher areas in D8. (Note still not bad just not as nice).

Where I am a five minutes walk will adds hundreds of thousands on to the price of a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 elainep13

I have been renting in Ranelagh for ten years, I love it.

Looking to buy at the moment and looking at Dublin 12 Walkinstown going to be such a change from Ranelagh😭😭

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Cienciano wrote: »
    I find it crazy that lots of people automatically rule out the north side or south side completely.
    For me it's not that hard. Pretty much all the expensive areas, they're generally the nicest. Something like this would do:
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/dalkey/coliemore-rd-dalkey-dublin-1102007/
    Different world. Monetarily speaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

bad_doctor wrote: »
    most over rated city in ireland by a mile and with by far the worst climate of any city

I do love Galway but bloody hell, it always seems to be raining everytime I visit there...and I'm originally from Kerry and well used to a soggy climate!

I was lucky enough to have a few days off last week during the mini heatwave and went to Donabate beach. I couldn't get over how beautiful the scenery was and how stunning Dublin Bay, Howth Head and Lambay island looked against the backdrop of the azure blue sky and sea. The tide was out and the beach was like a spotless never ending playground and I walked right to the estuary end where you almost felt you could paddle over to Malahide, it looked so near. I think I fell in love with Donabate that day. It has a train station that gets you into town in 25 minutes, a decent array of shops, restaurants and bars, a wonderful recreational amenity in Newbridge House and gardens and a lovely cliff walk to Portrane along with other beaches.

A lot of people have dismissed West Dublin in this thread but I think it has some really nice parts. I live in Ongar in Dubli 15 which is a planned village with all the facilities you require (retail, health, education, transport, recreational, parks, canal walks, sporting etc) and have decent train connections from Dunboyne and Maynooth to Docklands or Pearse, the country's largest shopping location - Blanchardstown, and lots of nice safe surrounding suburbs (Clonee, Clonsilla, Coolmine, Carpenterstown, Castleknock, Hansfield, Little Pace). You are on the city fringe so the countryside is literally a walk away (walk west along the Royal canal for 10 minutes from my house and you feel like you are in the middle of the country miles from anyone). Apart from Donabate, this is my favourite place.

I've no worse place but I worked in the IFSC for 15 years and I really think I would hate to live there as it comes across so soulless in the evenings and weekends. Yes you are central but it lacks the buzz of a centre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Rathcoole is turning gotta lovely little village as well, still has that village feel as it is still cut off, full of young couples and is still relatively affordable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Utdfan20titles

There is no best place to live on Dublin. Theres only the least worst

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

There is no best place to live on Dublin. Theres only the least worst

You should move to that city your username suggests. Dublin sh*ts all over it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 boat_builder

id love rathmines if most of the the apartments were not overpriced hovels. still a great location though.

the thing about rathmines is that its old money , very few new developments , there is hardly ever anything for sale in it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hibernia93

thomasj wrote: »

Best post yet fair play to you this attitude of keeping up with the jones drove this country into the ground.

Advertisement