Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best/Worst places to live in Dublin City and County

Options
124»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 boat_builder

ongarboy wrote: »
    I do love Galway but bloody hell, it always seems to be raining everytime I visit there...and I'm originally from Kerry and well used to a soggy climate!

I was lucky enough to have a few days off last week during the mini heatwave and went to Donabate beach. I couldn't get over how beautiful the scenery was and how stunning Dublin Bay, Howth Head and Lambay island looked against the backdrop of the azure blue sky and sea. The tide was out and the beach was like a spotless never ending playground and I walked right to the estuary end where you almost felt you could paddle over to Malahide, it looked so near. I think I fell in love with Donabate that day. It has a train station that gets you into town in 25 minutes, a decent array of shops, restaurants and bars, a wonderful recreational amenity in Newbridge House and gardens and a lovely cliff walk to Portrane along with other beaches.

A lot of people have dismissed West Dublin in this thread but I think it has some really nice parts. I live in Ongar in Dubli 15 which is a planned village with all the facilities you require (retail, health, education, transport, recreational, parks, canal walks, sporting etc) and have decent train connections from Dunboyne and Maynooth to Docklands or Pearse, the country's largest shopping location - Blanchardstown, and lots of nice safe surrounding suburbs (Clonee, Clonsilla, Coolmine, Carpenterstown, Castleknock, Hansfield, Little Pace). You are on the city fringe so the countryside is literally a walk away (walk west along the Royal canal for 10 minutes from my house and you feel like you are in the middle of the country miles from anyone). Apart from Donabate, this is my favourite place.

I've no worse place but I worked in the IFSC for 15 years and I really think I would hate to live there as it comes across so soulless in the evenings and weekends. Yes you are central but it lacks the buzz of a centre.

inner city living is not something irish people traditionally like but with a lot of foreigners wanting to live close to FB , google etc and of course the financial services companies , it will become more popular , the IFSC is right beside really rough spots though

i live in dublin 8, love it here - it can be a bit rough around the edges but never a dull moment. never felt unsafe or anything.

would like to live near the sea though, somewhere relatively central to the city too which doesnt leave too many options. good thing about D8 is the rent is typically slightly less than other parts of the city but you have access to all of the same amenities

i no longer live in dublin but id happily live in inchicore

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hibernia93

I see that finglas seems to be the least popular area of choice, we'll parts of Finglas have now changed from Finglas East to Glasnevin North (This can be debated about what area it's actually In Cedarwood, Beneavin and the likes). Ignorance is a horrible trait to have some fantastic houses in Glasnevin and Finglas East 20 mins from Town plenty of good schools not to far from the area like Aidans and St Vincents. The Charlestown Shopping Centre now has a fantastic Cinema and is right beside the M50 it appears to me the majority here are going on hear say or they don't want to be associated with anyone beneath them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

There is no best place to live on Dublin. Theres only the least worst

What hole did you crawl out of?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Hibernia93 wrote: »
    it appears to me the majority here are going on hear say or they don't want to be associated with anyone beneath them.

Can't see where that statement came from. Have you read the thread?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Birneybau wrote: »
    What hole did you crawl out of?

Cork probably... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Hibernia93

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Can't see where that statement came from. Have you read the thread?

It comes from Finglas being named the worst by the majority?? who have probably never even set foot in the area. Good man

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It comes from Finglas being named the worst by the majority?? who have probably never even set foot in the area. Good man

Hardly the majority. Lets not get hysterical here.
    There is no question that there are bad parts of Finglas.
    How you know who has or hasn't been there is a mystery to me but you understand about newspapers and internet forums where people can find out stuff right?

I know lots about New York but I've never been there.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I live in Finglas near to Charlestown Shopping Centre. The area is grand and its got cheap rent due to the Finglas reputation which IMO is largely undeserved. Ive had no major hassle in 6 years here. I would agree with others that Finglas west near the Tolka River looks very rough and the giant speedbumps every 50 metres tell you that joyriding is a local pastime. It never effects me though where I am, Finglas is kind of funny like that in that the whole area is split down the middle by the four lane N2 which creates a kind of a buffer zone between the east and west of it.

Hopefully Im moving on from Finglas later this year and getting my own place but Id recommend it as a place to rent for a few years. Its close to town and the cost of rent here is typically lower than other areas of Dublin. If you choose the right area you wont have much trouble imo.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I live in Finglas near to Charlestown Shopping Centre. The area is grand and its got cheap rent due to the Finglas reputation which IMO is largely undeserved. Ive had no major hassle in 6 years here. I would agree with others that Finglas west near the Tolka River looks very rough and the giant speedbumps every 50 metres tell you that joyriding is a local pastime. It never effects me though where I am, Finglas is kind of funny like that in that the whole area is split down the middle by the four lane N2 which creates a kind of a buffer zone between the east and west of it.

Hopefully Im moving on from Finglas later this year and getting my own place but Id recommend it as a place to rent for a few years. Its close to town and the cost of rent here is typically lower than other areas of Dublin. If you choose the right area you wont have much trouble imo.

id well believe it , ive close relatives who have lived in clondalkin since the late seventies , lovely area , both retired public servants , tallaght is another area which id have no problem living in despite the silly stereotypes , granted there are certain areas which are undoubtabley undesirable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭mille100piedi

I love Rathborne in Ashtown. We live near the canal and we can eat trout that we fish at the river close to our home. I like the south and places by the seaside but they can be too crowded some times. I prefer to relax in the Phoneix Park, it is so big, it can't be too crowded. And the city center is only 15 minutes away by dart.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I see that finglas seems to be the least popular area of choice, we'll parts of Finglas have now changed from Finglas East to Glasnevin North (This can be debated about what area it's actually In Cedarwood, Beneavin and the likes). Ignorance is a horrible trait to have some fantastic houses in Glasnevin and Finglas East 20 mins from Town plenty of good schools not to far from the area like Aidans and St Vincents. The Charlestown Shopping Centre now has a fantastic Cinema and is right beside the M50 it appears to me the majority here are going on hear say or they don't want to be associated with anyone beneath them.

I work in Finglas, I wouldn't fancy finglas South and West, but they're not that bad. Around Charlestown and East is grand. In threads like this people convince themselves that if they set foot in finglas, they'd be stabbed and mugged.
    Having said that, if I won €100m in the euromillions, I wouldn't be buying in Finglas

• Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Cienciano wrote: »
    I work in Finglas, I wouldn't fancy finglas South and West, but they're not that bad. Around Charlestown and East is grand. In threads like this people convince themselves that if they set foot in finglas, they'd be stabbed and mugged.
    Having said that, if I won €100m in the euromillions, I wouldn't be buying in Finglas

Living in D8 between Dolphins Barn and The Coombe. No complaints....grand for walking into Dublin city centre and public transport is top notch for a rainy / drunken day.
    That said, €100m in the lottery and I'm looking at Caribbean islands....which probably come with their own local forums of grumps giving out about thunderstorms, scumbags, jellyfish, sunshine, sand getting in weird places, and rich Irish dipsticks pissing in the sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭Walter H Price

Cienciano wrote: »

the area down around Chalestown is alright to be fair and the apartments at the shopping centre are nice enough , used to work there , centres nice and its close to IKEA but there is still an awful rough element about the place once you go on past charlestown.

we were looking at it when looking at houses but just didnt fancy sending our kids to any of the schools near there really, definitly none in Finglas with the nearest being Vincents in Glasnevin probably. for simlar price or just slightly more swords is a way better option.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I like where I live now, but if money was no object, I'd like a place by the sea around Monkstown or Blackrock.

Advertisement