Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Costs of timber frame versus block for a 12m x 5m shed

Options
  • 24-07-2016 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭

I have worked out the approx lumber costs for a timber frame 3 walled (one side open) shed with a mono pitch roof - like a lean to but not leaning on anything. The middle section is fully enclosed. The footprint is 12m x 5m. See attachment.

Without the cost of sheeting the roof it would be approx €3k, mainly 4x2 for framing and shiplap cladding. I favour timber because I can build it myself. I'm no chippy and would never do work for anyone else but I'd tackle this. However I suspect it might be cheaper to use block. Could anyone help with this?

Would a four inch block wall be cheaper? I would have to pay someone to build, plus materials obviously whereas with timber frame I might get away with a bit of local labour for a day to put the frames together.

I don't expect someone to price this accurately on the basis of the information here, but an opinion as to the relative cost of timber frame versus the blockwork option would be helpful.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

You also need foundations and piers on the block wall.
    You will also need foundations for the T/F to be fixed to.
    How are you dealing with wind load in the T/F design: you also need to consider X bracing while its under construction, the shiplap may be enough at the finish but might be better to brace it internally with some sheeting.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

I was planning on a 100mm slab regardless of construction type. So assuming that all things are equal at ground level will it cost more above ground to build timber frame or block?

Although not shown in the drawing the timber shed at one end will be clad hit and miss to allow air through. The office and car port will be racked internally with OSB. I wouldn't be known for under-engineering when it comes to timber framing. When I build something it stays built. Now that I think of it, if it is block construction I will need to find some way of ventilating the wood shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

100 slab may not take a block wall
    you can vent block wall with breeze block as in the link
    http://wa-kei.com/files/3113/2316/4605/breezeblock1_main.jpg

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement