Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking annual leave instead of sick leave?

Options
  • 24-07-2016 12:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am wondering what people’s opinions are on using annual leave instead of sick leave for a hospital procedure? I have one coming up which I will require a full day of work off for. I am just less than a year in my current organisation and unfortunately have had a few bouts of sickness since joining (9 days total with 3 uncertified and rest certified). I have not had any comments on my sick leave yet as my performance has not been affected and there have been no issues - however, I still find myself a bit stressed over the sick leave I have accumulated as I feel it is a lot. I am currently applying for internal vacancies (not promotions, just transfers) and am worried about it affecting my chances. I can’t do anything about the sick leave already accumulated so for this upcoming procedure I’m thinking of just using annual leave. Is this a good or bad idea? It would save me more stress over my number of sick days but I’m not sure if I could get into trouble for not using sick leave? Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

For a planned procedure it's no bother. Just book the leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

You will never get queried on what you are using annual leave for in an official capacity. If you feel comfortable booking leave for this, then go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

As above.

Also, some places will not allow sick leave for booked procedures, because you cannot know in advance that you are not fit for work - they only let you apply for sick leave retrospectively once you have the doctor's cert saying you weren't fit to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Using annual leave for planned procedure is the normal and correct approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Using annual leave for planned procedure is the normal and correct approach.

I've never come across that, sick leave for any surgery or medical /dental appointments in any place I've worked.

Also if you get sick on your annual leave get a sick note and you can reclassify as stock leave and save your annual leave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

FrStone wrote: »
    I've never come across that, sick leave for any surgery or medical /dental appointments in any place I've worked.

Also if you get sick on your annual leave get a sick note and you can reclassify as stock leave and save your annual leave.

To be clear I was referring to planned procedures, meaning elective, maintenance, or preventative procedures. Then it would be normal to use anual leave to cover these, in particular if you are concerned about the impact to your attendance record. There are situations where absences other than anual leave can impact promotion opportunities and even result in termination, so there are valid reasons for some folks to use annual leave in this way.

In most companies if the planned procedure results in you being unfit for work due to a recovery time, that time must be taken as sick leave once the cert is produced. But is is normal to apply for the day of the procedure as annual leave in advance, if only as a means of planning and informing your employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

To be clear I was referring to planned procedures, meaning elective, maintenance, or preventative procedures. Then it would be normal to use anual leave to cover these, in particular if you are concerned about the impact to your attendance record. There are situations where absences other than anual leave can impact promotion opportunities and even result in termination, so there are valid reasons for some folks to use annual leave in this way.

In most companies if the planned procedure results in you being unfit for work due to a recovery time, that time must be taken as sick leave once the cert is produced. But is is normal to apply for the day of the procedure as annual leave in advance, if only as a means of planning and informing your employer.

Oh I've never seen anything like that. Then again I've only worked in places with comprehensive sick leave. I'd just tell them, I'm having surgery in a months time, I'll be off sick for the week. It just feels like a waste of annual leave is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

I would agree with taking annual leave for this. If you need to take more than the original planned 1 day due to complications (hopefully doesn't happen) then I would put that as sick leave.

I used to work for a company with a pretty good sick leave policy but when I was getting a cyst removed, I took the half day from annual leave as it was something I elected to have done. Wasn't needed by any stretch. Same with any doctor/dental appointments which were just normal check up ones. Although for those I just worked up the extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Also, some places will not allow sick leave for booked procedures, because you cannot know in advance that you are not fit for work ...

How about a scenario where an employee is scheduled to have, say, a hip replacement, where it would be known for certain in advance that work would not be possible for a certain period, e.g. say 6 weeks?

I don't work in Ireland myself, but I would have assumed that this could be covered as sick leave in advance so to the speak, i.e. you inform your employer in advance that you will be out of work for 6 weeks on sick leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Only once you actually have the hip replacement.

Schedules, schmedules. Operations get postponed all the time.

Sick leave gets agreed to once you actually have a doctors certificate saying "X cannot work now and for the next N weeks" - not in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

skallywag wrote: »
    How about a scenario where an employee is scheduled to have, say, a hip replacement, where it would be known for certain in advance that work would not be possible for a certain period, e.g. say 6 weeks?

I don't work in Ireland myself, but I would have assumed that this could be covered as sick leave in advance so to the speak, i.e. you inform your employer in advance that you will be out of work for 6 weeks on sick leave.

Ah something like that would be covered all right by the sick leave as you're not just going to decide to have a random hip replacement.

I think the other posters are more referring to elective procedures where there's no medical necessity to having them but that you've elected for them for your own reasons. Generally these don't have much down time for recovery. You wouldn't expect an employer to give sick leave if you decided to have a boob job for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

The Irish company I worked for also didn't allow you to "plan" sick leave. I had to get a biopsy requiring the day off work and I had to take annual leave. I had my 4 wisdom teeth out earlier this year, requiring 3 days out and I asked my German colleagues if I needed to book leave or what the done thing was. They looked at me like I had two heads and said of course that's sick leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate the various insights and recommendations. I've decided to take annual leave. I have plenty and using one day isn't going to be the end of the world. The procedure is an investigative one but does require a general anaesethic so I'll certainly be unable to work that day but hopefully okay to go back to work the next day.

I'm in public sector so not sure if that affects some of the discussions above about standard company policies etc. - I'm going to use the annual leave regardless as it's what I feel comfortable doing but it's been interesting to see the different policies out there!

Advertisement