Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what age

Options
  • 24-07-2016 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

What age is good for my son to learn the guitar? he is of small build.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I'd say around 10-12 years of age , give or take.
    At this age I remember being interested in guitar enough to take it seriously rather than seeing it as a toy.Starting young has its benefits as you can quickly learn the chord shapes and the muscle memory kicks in early making it much easier later on.

This of course is just my opinion, based on my own experience. I didn't feel like I started to get good until years of a lot of practice.
    Also I started off on a beat up classical guitar. Nylon strings were much easier on my fingers at the time and made practicing more bearable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 38 The Codemaster

Yeah around 10 is good for guitar.

I started teaching my daughter piano at 5. We have a guitar lying around for her to mess with & get a feel for, but won't force it on her - her fingers can't really move that way yet. Piano is a good starter.

Advertisement