Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

22 hornet

• 24-07-2016 2:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭

Is the ammo for the 22 hornet outrageously expensive,i know the is a big difference between that and a 223 etc.
    Where is the cheapest place to get them from

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Average prices, for Hornady, seem to be around €25 to €30 per 25, and €52 for 50. 223 ammo goes from €7.50 to €29 per box of 20.

So depending on what you use they are about the same to run with the 223 slightly cheaper if you use the cheaper stuff.

As to where to get them, some of the online dealers sell them. Outdoor sports, Gunstore, Duffys (Galway), McCullough sports, Patrick Carley, Sportsden, etc.

Under this post is a link to the list of online dealers. Check a few of them out, and most deliver.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 294 ✭✭Bad_alibi

Cass can I ask what are you getting in .223 for €7.50.

Atlantic sports in Carlow. Cheaper if you buy in bulk.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Is that the Russian steel case stuff, the name escapes me does it begin with B

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    Is that the Russian steel case stuff,
    Yup.
    the name escapes me does it begin with B
    It's TulAmmo.

You're thinking of Barnaul. Same type of steel case stuff, but the TulAmmo is 62gr so works better for me than the 55gr Barnaul stuff. You can get Barnaul in 62gr too, but i've yet to see anyone stock anything other than the 55gr stuff

• Advertisement

That's exactly what I was thinking about, Griffin & Hawe have the Barnaul tried them before think there about €11 a box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

mike2015 wrote:
    Is the ammo for the 22 hornet outrageously expensive,i know the is a big difference between that and a 223 etc. Where is the cheapest place to get them from

Depends.... I shoot a hornet for foxes I don't punch paper, and so happy to put a box through at €25 for hornady.

S and B I've seen at €17 for 20. I got a box of privi pratsin 50 for €40. However I prefer the HP and the last box of remingtons I got I paid €45 for 50...I really have no gra for a 223.....and if I ever change it would be a 204.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭mike2015

Depends.... I shoot a hornet for foxes I don't punch paper, and so happy to put a box through at €25 for hornady.

S and B I've seen at €17 for 20. I got a box of privi pratsin 50 for €40. However I prefer the HP and the last box of remingtons I got I paid €45 for 50...I really have no gra for a 223.....and if I ever change it would be a 204.

Thanks for the replies lads,same as yourself cavan shooter a gra towards the hornet even though everyone says the 223 all the way.

mike2015 wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies lads,same as yourself cavan shooter a gra towards the hornet even though everyone says the 223 all the way.

Friend has a CZ hornet I've the .223 and having shot both its .223 all the way for me. The friend is in the process of looking for a .223 himself.
    Spoke to a dealer a while back and he said he wouldn't take in a hornet if he got it for nothing. Bare that in mind as they don't have a great resale value but on the flip side you should be able to pick them up cheap as chips.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

mike2015 wrote: »

I'm not going to even try and argue but over lamp distances at night up my country where a 200 yard shot is a long way and most ditches are within that you cant knock it?

Also what centre fire rifle can you use without a moderator without it becoming a light switch??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 62 ✭✭mike2015

Bad_alibi wrote: »
    Friend has a CZ hornet I've the .223 and having shot both its .223 all the way for me. The friend is in the process of looking for a .223 himself.
    Spoke to a dealer a while back and he said he wouldn't take in a hornet if he got it for nothing. Bare that in mind as they don't have a great resale value but on the flip side you should be able to pick them up cheap as chips.

They take for nothing alright
    Not to sure about that, cheap as chips.I rang a dealer today and he asked me €500 for a CZ hornet

They'll give you nothing for trading, but ask full whack when buying. I see it with all calibers/makes or rifles. They offer you pennies and when you ask them to get you one for that money they say it's not possible.

Anyway that aside.

The 223 beats the Hornet in a number of ways. Ammo availability (choice), price of ammo, distance it'll shoot, resale value, etc. It's not saying the Hornet is not a good rifle, hell it was the first centrefire i owned and i loved it. A CZ from Griffin & Hawe some 20+ years ago. It's just that there is better out there for the same kind of money.

Advertisement