Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mixed use tyre

Options
  • 24-07-2016 2:39pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Picked up a gash and blowout on my rear marathon supreme last week, and even though the temporary road-side boot got my home, it looks like this tyre is now for the bin, even though I could put a more sturdy boot in place. Even though its less than a year old, this is the third puncture I've had on this tyre in the last couple of months and I've lost confidence in it.

392545.JPG

So looking for recommendations for an alternative. Something that rolls reasonably well on tarmac (70%) and gravel / poor surfaces (30%) in all weathers and is robust. Short term replacement will be a Schwalbe Comp CX, but looking to see what the best options out there are. Won't be racing, more about comfort and reliability over long days. Currently looking at Compass Bon Jon, Challenge Strada Bianca or maybe just anoter Marathon Supreme. Any other recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

I've heard great things about the Compass tyres.

One of my favorite mixed use tyre was the Panaracer Pasela's - I managed everything from gravel to mud, sand and grass on them. Rarely a puncture and very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

I put Vittoria Randoneurs on my CDF and hated them for their sluggishness but they're on a wider rim now on Wifenbike II and roll really well.

On the cheaper side I had good old 28mm Rubinos on my Frankentourer and they were great hammering along N roads or juddering over the towpath to Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Vittoria Voyager Hypers. I replaced my Marathon supremes with these. I've had the odd puncture on the road but I've been very happy with them. They roll well, are very comfy and fast. I haven't really tried them offroad but I've every confidence (until I try them that is...).

PS. I rode Paris Brest Paris on them and did around 10,000k km on them...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

I've heard great things about the Compass tyres.

Me too, bought them (Bon Jon Pass), and I'm quite disappointed.

They are light, fast, look super cool with tan sidewalls, but they cut really easily (compared to GP4000SII !), wear quickly (1000km and the thread on the rear is almost gone) and their grip in the wet is quite bad... :/
    Vittoria Voyager Hypers

The slippiest tyre (in the wet) I ever had. Wet manhole covers are a suicide mission on them... Otherwise fast, hard wearing and generally nice.

On the tourer I'm currently running Continental CX Speed (folding) and they're just fine so far. Very grippy and surprisingly fast considering the file thread and small knobblies on sides.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Thanks for all the replies. A bit more googling on the Compass tyres also showed pretty mixed reviews. Bike24 doing a good price on supremes at the moment, so picked one up on the basis of the devil you know (and keeping matching tyres while only having to buy one!). Out of interest, do you guys doing long range solo spins bring a spare tyre? I used to in the past but got out of the habit, and reckon I was quite lucky for the patch to hold on this occasion.

• Advertisement

I have a spare permanently mounted behind the seatpost. I may have deployed it once.

Other audax riders would carry one tyre and two tubes. When the first tube punctures because you couldn't find the thorn/glass, you fit the second tube and the spare tyre and worry about finding the glass later...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Alek wrote: »
    Me too, bought them (Bon Jon Pass), and I'm quite disappointed.

They are light, fast, look super cool with tan sidewalls, but they cut really easily (compared to GP4000SII !), wear quickly (1000km and the thread on the rear is almost gone) and their grip in the wet is quite bad... :/

The slippiest tyre (in the wet) I ever had. Wet manhole covers are a suicide mission on them... Otherwise fast, hard wearing and generally nice.

On the tourer I'm currently running Continental CX Speed (folding) and they're just fine so far. Very grippy and surprisingly fast considering the file thread and small knobblies on sides.

Alek got the inspiration for the CX speed (along with the inspiration for his erotic poetry) from me as they're the stock tyres on 2014 Croix de F/As they're all the virtues he mentioned including rolling well on Tarmac.

My one caveat would be that they do not corner well. Not a problem for Alek on his fully loaded trundle wagon but might hold you back a bit if you're after nippy descending

Alek got the inspiration for the CX speed (along with the inspiration for his erotic poetry) from me as they're the stock tyres on 2014 Croix de F/As they're all the virtues he mentioned including rolling well on Tarmac.

My one caveat would be that they do not corner well. Not a problem for Alek on his fully loaded trundle wagon but might hold you back a bit if you're after nippy descending

Have a Schwalve CX comp pumped hard on the back while waiting for the new tyre, also seems nippy enough but less than grippy coming down from Foxes through Kilternan last night. More hail Marys than erotic poetry ;)

Why pump hard? I don't exceed 55psi with tyres of this girth (for the road, offroad I usually go 45 and 35 for CX racing) and I cant say a bad word about the speed or grip ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Tried a pair of Schwalbe Durano Plus recently and I'm pretty pleased with them. 8k on them now without incident. They are a little on the 'dead' side but I'm prepared to have that for peace of mind on long solo rides.
    smacl wrote: »
    ... Out of interest, do you guys doing long range solo spins bring a spare tyre?....
    I sometimes do especially if I've planned it in advance.
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    ...When the first tube punctures because you couldn't find the thorn/glass, you fit the second tube and the spare tyre and worry about finding the glass later...
    Presumably the original tyre would have to be fold-able?

• Advertisement

Why pump hard? I don't exceed 55psi with tyres of this girth (for the road, offroad I usually go 45 and 35 for CX racing) and I cant say a bad word about the speed or grip ;-)

Could be the issue so, currently 65psi, will drop to 50psi and see how I get on.

Sorry, just checked my pump, when loaded I pump the rear at 4bar = 60psi. Try 55 and you'll be surprised how cushy they become, to the point you start checking your Garmin more often as road vibrations are so damped you don't feel the speed :)

Presumably the original tyre would have to be fold-able?

Preferably yes but you can twist a wire bead into three loops which makes the tyre small enough to cable-tie to the frame or carrier.

Sorry, just checked my pump, when loaded I pump the rear at 4bar = 60psi. Try 55 and you'll be surprised how cushy they become, to the point you start checking your Garmin more often as road vibrations are so damped you don't feel the speed :)

Went out again this evening with the tyre at 55 and it behaved far better cornering on a damp descent, no issues at 65kph coming from Foxes to Kilternan.

Advertisement