Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public Places in Dublin

Options
  • 24-07-2016 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭

Hey there, just wondering if there's any places in Dublin for people to hold small public events in. Let's say anywhere from 10 - 25 people? I know most people would say book a pub, etc, but just trying to see if there is any public places that I just haven't thought of. Obviously you'd use a community center for these types of places the further out from city centre you'd get, but that's further out. Nowhere actually in Dublin City for it, that I'm aware of.

Just curious as I was talking to a friend earlier, and in regards to running any kind of free entry, etc event, the only venue we could think of in Dublin City would be a pub. The closer to central Dublin the better, obviously.

Thought of the possibility of running a gathering in say, Stephen's Green, or Merrion Square but, that's highly dependent on weather, and it being Ireland, isn't feasible in my opinion. You'd also need a good bit of luck with it not raining anytime the day before or on the day, so the ground wouldn't be wet, as there wouldn't be enough seating either so people'd be on the ground, which is pretty bad for an event to begin with, imo.

But yeah, nowhere other than a pub springs to mind. Any suggestions? Not even running an event anytime soon, but would like to do so in the future and I know not everyone likes to drink or have every event in a pub. :)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

School classrooms can be hired quite cheaply. You might have to provide cover if it is to be truly 'open'.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Hmm. Maybe, but I couldn't think of any school classrooms around the O Connel/Trinity area other than in Trinity itself, and I'm not sure if they rent out rooms to non students for public use. :/ Not a bad suggestion though, I'll look into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

Been to a few events (table quizzes etc.) over the years in the teachers club around parnell sq. http://www.clubnamuinteoiri.com/booking.php

No idea if they charge for all types of bookings but i assume they do. Might be no harm giving them a shout though and see how expensive it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,203 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Linoud wrote:
    Hmm. Maybe, but I couldn't think of any school classrooms around the O Connel/Trinity area other than in Trinity itself, and I'm not sure if they rent out rooms to non students for public use. :/ Not a bad suggestion though, I'll look into it!

There are a number of schools in the city centre area. You haven't said exactly what it is for, but depending on that, I know most of the ETB schools open in the evenings during term time for night classes and rooms are rented.

Try Larkin Community College on Cathal Brugha Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

In general the kind of events I've run in the past were gaming/board gaming events in college. Just gatherings of people looking to use a location without alcohol for some casual gaming or to promote the launch of newer games/boardgames. Was thinking of doing it again outside of college now, since I've since moved on from that college years ago.

For example something involving 3DS would be easy to run since there'd be no massive equipment such as TVs, etc to sort out, and the other kind of event would just need tables, etc for any tabletop/card gaming events.

Mostly this is just a curious thing of where would be viable to run such events other than pubs, since once you get to city centre there's no community centres that I know of that you can rent.

• Advertisement

CBS Westland Row is another city centre school might rent rooms.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Some of the churches around town will have parish centers - westland row, claraden st etc. Also the peoples college or teachers club in parnell square. The council have some rooms in the civic offices and inner city projects around the liberties or north inner city will also provide rooms. If you email some local Councillors they will usually have all sorts of info on community spaces that are available for free.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

There is the Carmelite COmmunity Centre on Aungier Street or Greenside House on Cuffe Street would both be fairly central.

You could also try some coffee shops; I've seen a few Meetup.com meetings listed for Costa on Nassau Street for example so I'm guessing you can reserve a few tables there (the basement is fairly spacious) or maybe the downstairs area in Accents on Stephen Street.

Advertisement