Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food intolerance help

• 24-07-2016 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all
    I recently done a food intolerance test and the results showed I was intolerant to eggs and milk and also barley and wheat. It showed gluten was ok.
    I was wondering if anyone knows whether it would be worth doing a second test or if I should take these results as gospel.

If anyone is in the Same position as me I'd love any advice they have.

Thanks

Niki

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Where were these tests done and by an person with what qualifications??

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nikistephen

Thanks for the reply.

They were done in Boots, they do it through Fitzwilliams Foodtest.

Would you be sceptical of these kind of tests yourself ?

Niki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 1878_

Id be sceptical. I got tests done that said the exact same. I still eat eggs and bread and fine.

I just got it done at a time when I really didn't know any better to be honest.

Also, these tests always seem to show up the same things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,600 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd have no faith in that style of testing and definitely wouldn't be making changes to my diet based on them.

Get an appointment with a Dietitian and talk to a professional. Otherwise you may as well eat your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Hi all
    I recently done a food intolerance test and the results showed I was intolerant to eggs and milk and also barley and wheat. It showed gluten was ok.
    I was wondering if anyone knows whether it would be worth doing a second test or if I should take these results as gospel.

If anyone is in the Same position as me I'd love any advice they have.

Thanks

Niki

The best advice I can give you is as follows:
      If you are NOT symptomatic of a food intolerance (symptoms generally being diarrhea, severe bloating, vomiting, pain, vomiting, malaise, low vitamin and mineral levels eg. anaemic or B12 deficient)... Do nothing. They're basically farcical tests and I've never heard of anyone taking one and not being given a rake of foods to avoid..
      If you ARE symptomatic, go see a dietitian about an exclusion diet. If you can't afford that, you can try eliminating one thing at a time and seeing if it makes a difference. If it was me, I'd eliminate milk first because it's quite a common intolerance. So.. Replace milk on cereal with rice milk (not soya milk.. that stuff's awful for you), and just avoid the rest of dairy products. Give it a fortnight, see if it makes a difference.
      If it does, reintroduce small amounts until you determine where your tolerance level lies - even people who are severely lactose intolerant (for example) can eat things like hard cheese. -If there's no difference, resume normal operations with that food and move on to the next food to be tested

If you do decide to exclude anything, you'll need to figure out what nutrients you get from it and how you'll replace them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭cactusgal

Turtle_ wrote: »
    The best advice I can give you is as follows:
      If you are NOT symptomatic of a food intolerance (symptoms generally being diarrhea, severe bloating, vomiting, pain, vomiting, malaise, low vitamin and mineral levels eg. anaemic or B12 deficient)... Do nothing. They're basically farcical tests and I've never heard of anyone taking one and not being given a rake of foods to avoid..
      If you ARE symptomatic, go see a dietitian about an exclusion diet. If you can't afford that, you can try eliminating one thing at a time and seeing if it makes a difference. If it was me, I'd eliminate milk first because it's quite a common intolerance. So.. Replace milk on cereal with rice milk (not soya milk.. that stuff's awful for you), and just avoid the rest of dairy products. Give it a fortnight, see if it makes a difference.
      If it does, reintroduce small amounts until you determine where your tolerance level lies - even people who are severely lactose intolerant (for example) can eat things like hard cheese. -If there's no difference, resume normal operations with that food and move on to the next food to be tested

If you do decide to exclude anything, you'll need to figure out what nutrients you get from it and how you'll replace them.

Why is soya milk awful for you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

cactusgal wrote: »
    Why is soya milk awful for you?

Unfermented soya products screw with hormone levels and interfere with nutrient absorption. Why drink soya milk when you could have rice milk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Nikistephen

Thanks for all the replies. I'm going to take the results to the gp and to a qualified nutritionist see what they say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

Turtle_ wrote: »
    . Why drink soya milk when you could have rice milk?

is because it tastes like watery bum to immature an answer? :P

Advertisement