Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Applications :)

Options
  • 24-07-2016 4:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi I'm starting leaving cert year this September and so I'm doing some research on the computer applications course (and other computer sci courses) as I think it's what I'd like to do post-lc. Just have a few questions,

1. I have read tons of threads about CA being one of the best computer sci courses (if not the best) so I'm wondering why the points are consistently lower than other courses, i.e. 400 compared to Trinity's 490? Is it that there are more places available?

2. I need to buy a new laptop anyway so would a macbook be the way to go or else a windows laptop such as a lenovo thinkpad? Is there any major drawbacks in the course if working of a macbook?

3. To get a good job out of college is continuous independent programming necessary aside from the course itself?

4. What language is best to begin learning before entering the course?

Sorry this post is so long but best to get all the answers then a handful! I'd seriously appreciate any replies at all from someone in this or a similar course! :)

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 31 Verified rep DCU Student Help

Hi Steph,

Give us a direct email on studenthelp@dcu.ie, we can give you some specific staff/students to contact which can help you out with your questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Paddez

1. Don't let this fool you, it's mostly due to large class sizes, reducing the supply/demand ratio. DCU is consistently ranked quite high in eyes of Employers

2. No drawbacks to having a Macbook - it has a fully functional terminal shell. IMO it has an edge on a Windows machine.

3. Almost certainly.

4. Any really - but a good ground in Java would give you a decent boost.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 1steph

thanks a million that was really helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 1steph

Sorry I just have one more question, roughly how many girls are in a class of CA? It may seem like a petty question but if I was one of only a very small handful of girls it would be quite off-putting.

Advertisement