Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gasoil how long in system

• 24-07-2016 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭

By mistake I put gasoil into my car earlier today. Should only have been a few litres so not too bad.

The question I have is how long do you think it will stay in the system for, or how many times will I need to refill the tank before I go through a customs checkpoint without worrying if I am going to have my car seized...

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,210 ✭✭✭mikeecho

By mistake I put gasoil into my car earlier today. Should only have been a few litres so not too bad.

The question I have is how long do you think it will stay in the system for, or how many times will I need to refill the tank before I go through a customs checkpoint without worrying if I am going to have my car seized...

Thanks
    Run it almost dry, pop in 5 or 10 litres, and keep repeating lots of times.

The dye in green diesel will stain the tank and filter, could take a long time to clean it out.

Green diesel also has a lower cetane number (45) where regular diesel is 51, so your engine won't run as quiet with green.

Even a small amount of green will show up in a large amount of regular road diesel.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

mikeecho wrote: »
    Run it almost dry, pop in 5 or 10 litres, and keep repeating lots of times.

The dye in green diesel will stain the tank and filter, could take a long time to clean it out.

Green diesel also has a lower gets me number (45) where regular diesel is 51, so your engine won't run as quiet with green.

Even a small amount of green will show up in a large amount of regular road diesel.

Curious, what is a gets me number?

Curious, what is a gets me number?

Auto correct... cetane

I'll amend the post
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Don't forget to change the fuel filter a few times. If you've access to a ramp you could drain the tank to get the last few litres that the pump won't get.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

it should be unnoticable after the second or third fill,

no need to change the filter, the dye doesn't stain anything

• Advertisement

orm0nd wrote: »

I think that someone posted on boards a good while back about a fuel transporter was accidentally filled with green, and that they were no longer able to use those compartments for road diesel due to the die staining the tank.

I could be wrong, but that was my understanding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

orm0nd wrote: »

There will still be trace amounts mixed with the fuel for a good while if the tank isn't drained. The customs only need a reaction to fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd say when low fuel light comes on do additional 30 miles, then fill to top, repeat, should be gone by the time that empties and you refill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

I'd say when low fuel light comes on do additional 30 miles, then fill to top, repeat, should be gone by the time that empties and you refill.

It might be a good idea to carry a jerrycan with 5 litres of diesel too :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭adr_sullivan

shietpilot wrote: »
    It might be a good idea to carry a jerrycan with 5 litres of diesel too :rolleyes:

just have to make sure that i put the correct diesel in the jerrycan.

thanks for the advice folks, i am going to run it to near empty then a small bit of diesel, then repeat a time or two and just carry on.

chances of meeting customs are kind of low so will just carry on as normal.

thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,253 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Del2005 wrote: »
    There will still be trace amounts mixed with the fuel for a good while if the tank isn't drained. The customs only need a reaction to fine.

it will pass a visuable road side inspection after 2 fills possibly even after 1,

unless the customs send a sample for analysis (which they are obliged to give a split sample to the driver of the the vehicle) it would be very highly unlikely that it would be detected

(just on a side note we haven't been dipped in 2016 yet, maybe they're concentrating on different areas,)

Advertisement