Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2 car scenario

Options
  • 24-07-2016 6:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Have a large saloon car with tow hitch but looking to get a small 1.2 litre car to teach juniors to drive in and to get their tests.

As the value of my 10 year old car makes it a non-viable trade in, it is worth more to me to leave it on the drive so that when i want to I can switch the insurance off the 1.2 litre onto it, especially if I need to tow the trailer.

How viable is this? Can it be done weekly or what restrictions or issues will I face.

What other options could I take or do you advise biting the bullet and trading it in altogether?

Insurance costs are such that having juniors as named drivers is the only feasible route.

Thanks in advance for any views on this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Fiskar wrote: »
    Have a large saloon car with tow hitch but looking to get a small 1.2 litre car to teach juniors to drive in and to get their tests.

As the value of my 10 year old car makes it a non-viable trade in, it is worth more to me to leave it on the drive so that when i want to I can switch the insurance off the 1.2 litre onto it, especially if I need to tow the trailer.

How viable is this? Can it be done weekly or what restrictions or issues will I face.

What other options could I take or do you advise biting the bullet and trading it in altogether?

Insurance costs are such that having juniors as named drivers is the only feasible route.

Thanks in advance for any views on this.

Temporary substitutions onto vehicles you own are a no go outside of extenuating circumstances, as in the insurer will have previous records of you owning one car, doing a permanent substitution onto the new one then looking to transfer the insurance back to the old one. It will raise eyebrows unnecessarily.

Best option for when you need to cover the old car for towing a trailer is to add it on as a temporary additional vehicle to the new cars policy, you will be charged a small fee depending on the length of transfer and it means cover will be maintained on the newer car as well as the older one and its 100% above board.

I'd suggest getting quotes to add on the kids to the older car before going ahead and buying a smaller engine one though.

Unless the existing one is a total pig of a thing then there may not be that much difference in premium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Cheers Saul, yeah the more I look into it the more I think adding the kids onto the existing car would be the way to go. That or try and get a scrapage on a 1.2 in the new year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Fiskar wrote: »
    Cheers Saul, yeah the more I look into it the more I think adding the kids onto the existing car would be the way to go. That or try and get a scrapage on a 1.2 in the new year.

Would you really want to let learner drivers behind the wheel of a brand new car?!?

:pac:

Sure price it anyway and see what comes back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

Would you really want to let learner drivers behind the wheel of a brand new car?!?

:pac:

Sure price it anyway and see what comes back.

Repairs probably cheaper than my car!

Advertisement