Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed please - how much notice am I required to give my landlord?

Options
  • 24-07-2016 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭

I started renting a room in a house on July 9th.

It is a temporary situation - the landlord informed me before I moved in that the room will only be available for two months.

I pay my rent weekly.

The deposit was two weeks' rent worth.

I paid one week's rent plus deposit in full in cash on move in day. I was provided with a rent book where my landlord records my weekly rent payments. The rent book states that is a short term let.

My rent is paid in cash in person to the landlord every week.

No contract or lease was signed at all at any time. It's all been relatively informal. I give my landlord cash every week, and he gives me a room and the rent book.

How much notice do I have to give him if I want to move out?

I want to move out next week but I also want my full deposit back.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭Clampdown

talkto wrote: »
    I started renting a room in a house on July 9th.

It is a temporary situation - the landlord informed me before I moved in that the room will only be available for two months.

I pay my rent weekly.

The deposit was two weeks' rent worth.

I paid one week's rent plus deposit in full in cash on move in day. I was provided with a rent book where my landlord records my weekly rent payments. The rent book states that is a short term let.

My rent is paid in cash in person to the landlord every week.

No contract or lease was signed at all at any time. It's all been relatively informal. I give my landlord cash every week, and he gives me a room and the rent book.

How much notice do I have to give him if I want to move out?

I want to move out next week but I also want my full deposit back.

You don't have a legal requirement as there was no contract. One week notice should be fine for an informal arrangement. As long as you haven't damaged anything in the 3 weeks you are due your deposit back. If he gives any hassle with that, tell him you'll be sending the rent book in to Revenue as a lot of cash collecting/no lease giving landlords do that because they don't register the tenants and pay tax.

In general, unless you plan to move within 6 months it's much better to sign a lease, even a 6 month one. You have more proof of residence and it states your and your landlord's obligations clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭talkto

Clampdown wrote: »
    You don't have a legal requirement as there was no contract. One week notice should be fine for an informal arrangement. As long as you haven't damaged anything in the 3 weeks you are due your deposit back. If he gives any hassle with that, tell him you'll be sending the rent book in to Revenue as a lot of cash collecting/no lease giving landlords do that because they don't register the tenants and pay tax.

In general, unless you plan to move within 6 months it's much better to sign a lease, even a 6 month one. You have more proof of residence and it states your and your landlord's obligations clearly.

Are there any legal terms and conditions printed anywhere that confirm what you've said, that I could present to my landlord in case he disputes it?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,307 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Does your landlord live in the house?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

You don't have a legal requirement as there was no contract. .

What do you mean there was no contract. there was definitely a contract. The minimum notice period for a tenant is 28 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

4ensic15 wrote: »
    What do you mean there was no contract. there was definitely a contract. The minimum notice period for a tenant is 28 days.

We don't know if the landlord lives there so you can't definitively say that

• Advertisement

The house was advertised on Daft as "Not owner occupied."

The man who collects the rent from me, and deals with all issues regarding my rental, lives in the house. He is the previous owner of the house. He says his daughter now owns the house. It is she who is listed as the landlord. She lives in a building in the back garden.

athtrasna wrote: »
    We don't know if the landlord lives there so you can't definitively say that

Whether the landlord lives there or not, there is a contract. If the o/p is a tenant there is a 28 day notice period. If the o/p is a licensee then it is a question of construction if he can leave at all before the 2 months is up.

What do you mean there was no contract.

He means no contract or lease was signed.

Whether the landlord lives there or not, there is a contract. If the o/p is a tenant there is a 28 day notice period. If the o/p is a licensee then it is a question of construction if he can leave at all before the 2 months is up.

Even though I never expressly agreed to these terms?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

tell him you'll be sending the rent book in to Revenue as a lot of cash collecting/no lease giving landlords do that because they don't register the tenants and pay tax.

That's a load of rubbish.

OP does the landlord live in the house ?

• Advertisement

ted1 wrote: »
    That's a load of rubbish.

OP does the landlord live in the house ?

The house was advertised on Daft as "Not owner occupied."

The man who collects the rent from me, and deals with all issues regarding my rental, lives in the house. He is the previous owner of the house. He says his daughter now owns the house. It is she who is listed as the landlord. She lives in a building in the back garden.

Even though I never expressly agreed to these terms?

You agreed to a 2 month letting. You did not agree to any early termination condition. If you are not living with the owner it is 28 days. If that individual who acts as landlord is indeed the owner then you have a licence. Your chances of getting your deposit back will turn on how much he wants to keep the arrangement quiet. He may not want the taxman or his ex wife to know about it.

You agreed to a 2 month letting. You did not agree to any early termination condition. If you are not living with the owner it is 28 days. If that individual who acts as landlord is indeed the owner then you have a licence. Your chances of getting your deposit back will turn on how much he wants to keep the arrangement quiet. He may not want the taxman or his ex wife to know about it.

I didn't agree to anything. No contract or lease was signed.

I didn't even agree to anything verbally - I was told that the room was available for two months, but I never agreed to stay for the two months.

I didn't agree to anything. No contract or lease was signed.

Just because nothing was signed doesn't mean you didn't agree to anything or didn't make a contract. The vast majority of contracts do not involve signatures. You agreed that the maximum availability of the room would be two months. You agreed the rent. You pay the rent.

Did you read the OP's 1st post? it says no contract was signed.

28 days notice is required under the Residential Tenancies act for tenants under 6 months, but that act doesn't apply to short term or holiday lets. Considering the tenant was told he could only stay for 2 months why would he have to give 28 days notice? He would in that case be saying at the end of month 1, I'm moving out in another month, to which the landlord would reply. 'Yeah... I know.'

When you only are offering a 2 month tenancy, you can't be too put put by a tenant leaving early and if you wanted a guarantee of 2 months rent you would need to have them sign a 2 month lease and probably collect rent monthly to cover yourself. if the tenant has signed no contract stating they agree to stay a full 2 months and are paying rent weekly in cash, it will be looked upon as a week to week tenancy in a short term let. 28 days is not required.

OP you can google the Residential tenancies act yourself and download it. I suppose it would have been best to have asked the LL when you moved in 'I'm going to be looking for another place while I stay here, if I find one before 2 months is up, will it be all right if I move out early?'

But since you didn't, and plan to move anyway, might as well just ask him now. If he's sound it will be no problem. If not, how much was the deposit, a week's rent? If that's all it is and he tries to keep it, it's up to you what steps to take to get it back (won't be worth it probably).

If it only costs you one week of rent it will be a lot cheaper lesson than most renters have when they are foolish enough to rent without having the proper paperwork in place. Because if you do that you are usually dealing with a cowboy landlord who isn't paying tax and doesn't want to leave any paper trail which means the tenant might not be able to prove they lived there or paid their rent, and these types are often lax on getting repairs done, have no idea about tenant rights, landlord obligations etc., and to get Part 4 rights you need to be in the dwelling for 6 months at least and have proof of rent paid up to date.

Anyway at this point might as well just give him the week's notice and cross your fingers.

28 days notice is required under the Residential Tenancies act for tenants under 6 months, but that act doesn't apply to short term or holiday lets. Considering the tenant was told he could only stay for 2 months why would he have to give 28 days notice? He would in that case be saying at the end of month 1, I'm moving out in another month, to which the landlord would reply. 'Yeah... I know.'

When you only are offering a 2 month tenancy, you can't be too put put by a tenant leaving early and if you wanted a guarantee of 2 months rent you would need to have them sign a 2 month lease and probably collect rent monthly to cover yourself. if the tenant has signed no contract stating they agree to stay a full 2 months and are paying rent weekly in cash, it will be looked upon as a week to week tenancy in a short term let. 28 days is not required.

OP you can google the Residential tenancies act yourself and download it. I suppose it would have been best to have asked the LL when you moved in 'I'm going to be looking for another place while I stay here, if I find one before 2 months is up, will it be all right if I move out early?'

But since you didn't, and plan to move anyway, might as well just ask him now. If he's sound it will be no problem. If not, how much was the deposit, a week's rent? If that's all it is and he tries to keep it, it's up to you what steps to take to get it back (won't be worth it probably).

If it only costs you one week of rent it will be a lot cheaper lesson than most renters have when they are foolish enough to rent without having the proper paperwork in place. Because if you do that you are usually dealing with a cowboy landlord who isn't paying tax and doesn't want to leave any paper trail which means the tenant might not be able to prove they lived there or paid their rent, and these types are often lax on getting repairs done, have no idea about tenant rights, landlord obligations etc., and to get Part 4 rights you need to be in the dwelling for 6 months at least and have proof of rent paid up to date.

Anyway at this point might as well just give him the week's notice and cross your fingers.

Thanks for the response. The tenancy is indeed listed as a "short term let" on the rent book. I tried to search for rules regarding short term lets but couldn't find anything. Do you know if there are specific rules printed anywhere regarding short term lets?

Just because a contract wasn't signed doesn't mean there is no contract. A contract can be made in writing, verbally or by conduct or by a combination of any or all of those 3 methods.
    28 days notice is required under the Residential Tenancies act for tenants under 6 months, but that act doesn't apply to short term or holiday lets. Considering the tenant was told he could only stay for 2 months why would he have to give 28 days notice?
    The Residential Tenancies Act does not apply to holiday lets but it applies to every other letting. there is no minimum letting period below which the Act does not apply.
    just because he was told he could only stay for 2 months does not mean he has to move. He has not been given a valid notice of termination yet.

[/QUOTE]

Anyway the o/p is an ingrate.

Just because a contract wasn't signed doesn't mean there is no contract. A contract can be made in writing, verbally or by conduct or by a combination of any or all of those 3 methods.

None of these were done. You may go now.

Posters are reminded to report objectionable posts rather than retort on thread.

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

Just as an aside, there's no 'report' button on my version of the phone app...

• Advertisement

Just as an aside, there's no 'report' button on my version of the phone app...

It's the flag icon

If anyone else has any concrete info on this that they can back up with some legal print I'd appreciate it. What I really need more than opinions and second-hand info (which I do appreciate) is some legal print that expresses what the law is exactly in this situation, if such a thing exists. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,472 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

athtrasna wrote:
    It's the flag icon

Still not seeing it. Time to upgrade, perhaps.

If anyone else has any concrete info on this that they can back up with some legal print I'd appreciate it. What I really need is some legal print that expresses what the law is in this situation, if such a thing exists.

If you want legal advice, talk to a solicitor. Legal advice is not permitted on boards

If you want legal advice, talk to a solicitor. Legal advice is not permitted on boards

I don't want legal advice. I'm asking for the location of the terms and conditions regarding my situation.

I don't want legal advice. I'm asking for the location of the terms and conditions regarding my situation.

You can't because it's not written anywhere, you don't have a contract, that's where it would be.

You can't because it's not written anywhere, you don't have a contract, that's where it would be.

Thanks for your responses.

Some further information:

The property is not on the PTRB public register list.

The Residential Tenancies Act does not apply to holiday lets but it applies to every other letting. there is no minimum letting period below which the Act does not apply.
    just because he was told he could only stay for 2 months does not mean he has to move. He has not been given a valid notice of termination yet.

Anyway the o/p is an ingrate.[/quote]

Yeah because I'm sure a valid notice of termination was going to be written out from a landlord who doesn't bring contracts and collects in cash. In all likelihood the tenancy is not registered as that costs 90.00 and wouldn't be worth it for a 2 month tenant.

There is no such thing as verbal contracts when it comes to renting. They can't be proven. By that logic OP could claim he was told verbally the place was available for a year, it couldn't be proven otherwise, could it?

If you are adamant that the tenant in this case has to abide by the Res tenancy act then so does the landlord, meaning he can be fined up to 4,000 for not registering the tenancy (and I would bet my last dime it was never registered for a 2 month letting). In my experience, landlords who collect weekly in cash and not signed a lease have never expected more than a week's notice

There is no reason for OP not to get the deposit back <mod snip>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Some further information:

The property is not on the PTRB public register list.

The landlord (Daughter )who lives in a separate building probably thinks that you are a licencee and she can Clsim relief under the rent a room scheme, however as its not attached she would be wrong.

http://www.prtb.ie/media-research/publications/licensees-in-private-rented-accommodation

Advertisement