Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westside running track

Options
  • 24-07-2016 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭

Can anyone tell me the length of the westside running track? I tried to google it but found nothing exact

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Can anyone tell me the length of the westside running track? I tried to google it but found nothing exact

Arent all tracks 400meters?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭empacher

yeah standard tracks are 400m, but this is ireland, they probably built the track to be 385m for some obscure reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Would 400m be measured on Lane 1 or Lane 6 which I presume is longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

flazio wrote: »
    Would 400m be measured on Lane 1 or Lane 6 which I presume is longer.

lane 1

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

Not necessarily, i used to compete on a 200m track in Nenagh and used to love running on it

I won several gold All-Ireland medals for the 200m sprints in my youth :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

pure.conya wrote: »
    Not necessarily, i used to compete on a 200m track in Nenagh and used to love running on it

I won several gold All-Ireland medals for the 200m sprints in my youth :)
    Was that indoors or outdoors?

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Alcoheda

• Registered Users Posts: 5,230 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I am not sure if there are fewer than the standard eight lanes on it or if there is some kind of slant on it which means I think that it can't be used competitively eg Connacht Schools competitions and so on. Could be wrong mind you.

It looks big enough to be a standard 400 m track. Each straight being 100m and each arc being 100m.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

endagibson wrote: »

Indoors ! A far cry from Athlone ..

pureconya would you consider a comeback ? Winning juvenile gold is no mean feat! ...Plenty of senior and masters events on around the country ..

Not marked for competition at present and would have to be certified also not sure if it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

youngrun wrote: »
    I didn't think so, but I didn't want to assume, especially since a 200m track is a common length for indoor.

But you're right, an All-Ireland medal is an All-Ireland medal. No mean feat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

bobbyss wrote: »
    I am not sure if there are fewer than the standard eight lanes on it or if there is some kind of slant on it which means I think that it can't be used competitively eg Connacht Schools competitions and so on. Could be wrong mind you.

It looks big enough to be a standard 400 m track. Each straight being 100m and each arc being 100m.

This is the problem with the track in Westside - it has a slope :confused:
    Whoever the contracters were should be made correct the issue. The track surface should never have been laid until it was levelled correctly.
    Funnily enough, the pitch in the middle of the track was levelled but they didn't think it might make sense to level the track itself.

Also of note is the fact that there's no path that leads to the track itself, you have to cross the grass to get onto it. That's fine in the summer months, but you could be walking through mud in the winter.

So overall, it's fine to a do some casual training, but it's not actually fit for any competitive races.

endagibson wrote: »

Indoors

https://eagleac.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/18jan2015a.jpg

youngrun wrote: »

pureconya would you consider a comeback ? Winning juvenile gold is no mean feat! ...Plenty of senior and masters events on around the country ..

Not marked for competition at present and would have to be certified also not sure if it is

I'd love to, 200m sprints was my favourite, could get to top speed very quick and keep it going for 150m+ but alas years of smoking has slowed me right down. I'm more into the cycling now a days but with a lot of discipline and regular training anything is possible i suppose :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

pure.conya wrote: »
    I'd love to, 200m sprints was my favourite, could get to top speed very quick and keep it going for 150m+ but alas years of smoking has slowed me right down. I'm more into the cycling now a days but with a lot of discipline and regular training anything is possible i suppose :)
    You should give it a go if you had the interest again , the local club here g c h has a sprints section for adults now and a good coach

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭RovinPirate

thanks for all the help everyone

Advertisement