Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Robert Millar...

Options
  • 24-07-2016 8:03pm

...as a matter of curiosity, was he seen as particularly close to Kelly and Roche?

Was reading about him cycling beside Roche to protect him during the Giro in 87 when the Visentini row saw Roche attacked by spectators. And a year later he helped Kelly through the mountain stages in the Vuelta, again despite not being in the same team.

Seems like an interesting figure. Not given to fawning over the media anyway.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

In search of robert millar by richard moores a good read on the man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

There weren't a lot of English-speaking riders in the late 80s, they stuck together. Phil Anderson was also close to both Irish lads (Roche just posted a pic of himself and Anderson in Paris today)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

.....Seems like an interesting figure. Not given to fawning over the media anyway.
    He didn't seem to have a great personality or be particularly 'likeable' but perhaps that's because we only saw him via the media.

He certainly seems to be an enigmatic character, but as you say maybe that was a crude media representation. Think he entered the Nissan Tour here a few times. Must read that book mentioned by neris.

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

He wrote the foreword to Kelly's biography "Hunger", so I'd say they get on well enough!

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is he any relation to david millar?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

neris wrote: »
    In search of robert millar by richard moores a good read on the man

I have a copy if anyone wants to collect in Kilkenny.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

There was a documentary made about him in the mid 1980's called "The High Life". It's available on You Tube but is broken up into many parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfvQoAZIlHk&list=PLEDE3F86772852C0F

is he any relation to david millar?

None.

Miller - English (Hong Kong)
    Millar - Scottish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭happytramp

When Roche's 1987 Giro team turned on him and attacked him Millar was one of a couple of riders who, even though on a different team, rode with him and protected him.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,619 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

TheBlaaMan wrote: »
    None.

Miller - English (Hong Kong)
    Millar - Scottish
    they are both spelt millar though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Aren't they both Scottish.

• Registered Users Posts: 658 ✭✭✭Fr D Maugire

Robert Millar is no relation to David Millar.

Millar was always considered eccentric and weird, I think it was Kelly who said that one day Millar would chat away with you, the next day he would just ignore you. They just took him for what he was, weird, but he was not very popular with the non anglos pros. Phil Liggett hated him as he wasn't media friendly at all.

Millar did help Roche in Giro 87 and also Kelly in Vuleta 88. He was an anti-hero really.

I always found his writing and views funny, very dark humour. He got to edit an edition of Cycle Sport dedicated to himself after he retired in the 90s. It was very scathing of some people but it was very funny.

The Richard Moore book is very good and does get into detail on his eccentricities. Bloody good cyclist though.

Raam wrote: »
    David's family moved around due to his father's job. His father was based in Scotland during David's early years.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

David's family moved around due to his father's job. His father was based in Scotland during David's early years.

So Scottish then ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Roche, Millar and Anderson were all on Peugeut together. 1981-83. They may have spent some time together at ACBB as amateurs. That Peugeot team was awesome in its day. I think its regarded as the most successful team of all time ( Prob prior to SKY!)
    Ligget did not mind Millar too much - he did give a lot of UK interest in the Mountain stages. Can't be that bad for Ligget to have some local interest to comment on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

A quick big of googling & David Millar is everywhere it seems described as Scottish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    That Peugeot team was awesome in its day. I think its regarded as the most successful team of all time ( Prob prior to SKY!).

There was great rivalry between the Peugeot and Renault teams in the late 70s and early 80s. Renult was dominant then winning 6 Tours with Hinault and Fignon.

I'm currently reading "In Search of Robert Millar" - would very much recommend it.

Raam wrote: »

Seems so, I stand corrected..........

It's just he's such a.......... Brit.......(I mean English Brit, before I'm corrected again....)

Advertisement