Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for advice on tax arrears

• 24-07-2016 8:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 332 ✭✭

Like the title says. My uncle bought my small van of me for working along with me. I kept it in my name and insured it. Now it's been off road for 5 weeks and no need for it now. Insurance cancelled and now I've arrears for these weeks it's been off road. I was looking at paying arrears online but couldn't find where to do this though someone mentioned if I change it to uncles ownership, hell now be liable for the tax. Is this true?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭we'llallhavetea

change of ownership in the tax office and it wipes any arrears, so your uncle would be paying for future tax only.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

mcneil wrote: »
    Like the title says. My uncle bought my small van of me for working along with me. I kept it in my name and insured it. Now it's been off road for 5 weeks and no need for it now. Insurance cancelled and now I've arrears for these weeks it's been off road. I was looking at paying arrears online but couldn't find where to do this though someone mentioned if I change it to uncles ownership, hell now be liable for the tax. Is this true?
    No he won't be liable for the tax!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

5 weeks arrears, like €30?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

You cant pay just the arrears, you have to buy at least 3 months tax too. The arrears get added on at the end when you go to buy new tax, there is no arrears section, if that's what you are looking for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 332 ✭✭mcneil

You cant pay just the arrears, you have to buy at least 3 months tax too. The arrears get added on at the end when you go to buy new tax, there is no arrears section, if that's what you are looking for.

But I don't want to tax it. I'm just looking to pay arrears and that's it. What if I change it over to his name, am I still liable for it?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 332 ✭✭mcneil

change of ownership in the tax office and it wipes any arrears, so your uncle would be paying for future tax only.

Does it have to be the tax office I change it or just send away log book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

But I don't want to tax it. I'm just looking to pay arrears and that's it. What if I change it over to his name, am I still liable for it?

You can't just pay the arrears on their own, as already stated by another poster arrears can only be paid when paying for your next tax disc.

So it's either:-
    • Tax it again for minimum 3 months + arrears (strictly speaking you are supposed to have valid insurance to do this also).
    • Or yes change ownership and no arrears.

Does it have to be the tax office I change it or just send away log book.

Yes you can just send the VRC to Shannon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 809 ✭✭✭amdaley28

No. When he goes to tax it he will be recognised as the new owner & he will pay his road tax from the date he bought it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Are neither of you going to be using it anymore and youre just going to sell it at some point? If that's the case then do nothing. No point adding another owner, plus having it in someone else's name when you're going to sell it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

amdaley28 wrote: »
    No. When he goes to tax it he will be recognised as the new owner & he will pay his road tax from the date he bought it.

He will pay road tax from the 1st of the month in which he bought it. If he was to buy it today he would be liable for tax for all of July.

• Advertisement
Advertisement