Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science without leaving certificate.

• 24-07-2016 8:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 457 ✭✭

Hi,

I dropped out of school after junior cert but studied art as a mature student a few years back. I'm now interested in studying science but realistically would I just be drowning in the deep end from the start? I consider myself a fast learner but would have an extremely basic grasp of science and maths due to never being interested when I was younger. Has anyone made a similar leap that has any advice? Would doing a plc course first be a better option?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Hi,

I dropped out of school after junior cert but studied art as a mature student a few years back. I'm now interested in studying science but realistically would I just be drowning in the deep end from the start? I consider myself a fast learner but would have an extremely basic grasp of science and maths due to never being interested when I was younger. Has anyone made a similar leap that has any advice? Would doing a plc course first be a better option?

Thanks.

I suggest possibly do a level 5/6 course in a college/fas centre. In National Learning Network where I'm in doing a level 5 course, there's no maths module in it although you can get support in it if you like. I'm not sure about PLC colleges as they react different subjects. I would recommend checking the course you wanna do

• Registered Users Posts: 25 satyrios

You could also get yourself up to speed on math (and to some degree, science) by checking out (free) online courses at Coursera/edX/MIT online/etc. which you could do in your free time while pursuing something else, but also give you an idea whether you'd have the appetite for a full degree's worth. (The free courses I've seen run the gamut from secondary level up to postgrad level, so you could start where you feel comfortable and work your way up.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

You could look into access courses too. I know the UCD Access to Science & Engineering course won't hold a lack of a LC against you - you'd do Maths, Biology, Chem and Physics on a part time basis, and if you meet the requirements for the year (which they'll do their best to ensure), you're guaranteed access to the fulltime undergraduate Science or Engineering program in UCD the following year. Think it also grants entry to computer science, ag science or forestry as well.

Advertisement