Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Car Clutch

• 24-07-2016 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭

We bought a new car last sept had to have clutch replaced due to defective fly wheel in May 16 now it's smelling again Repairs were cover first time this time garage saying its in my husband head the smell its def not and its due to his driving he was told by machanic.

We don't know what to do should we cut our losses and change cars or fight if clutch is gone again

Husband been driving 25 yrs

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Fight your case, if it was only fitted a few months ago then either they cheaped out and fitted a used clutch or it wasn't fitted properly.

Bring the car back and tell them that if they don't fix it you will bring it elsewhere, get it repaired properly and take a case to the small claims court against them for the full cost of the replacement clutch & flywheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Fight your case, if it was only fitted a few months ago then either they cheaped out and fitted a used clutch or it wasn't fitted properly.

I can't see even the worst garage being foolish enough to fit a used clutch kit. It'd be like cheaping out by fitting used brake pads, you couldn't expect it to work.

Make, model, type of driving aswell as mileage covered would help give some clarity to this.

I'm getting the impression maybe your first diesel and lots of town driving?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

2 clutches in 6k? Either your husband is doing burnout sat every light or there is something up. Keep at the garage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

We bought a new car last sept had to have clutch replaced due to defective fly wheel in May 16 now it's smelling again Repairs were cover first time this time garage saying its in my husband head the smell its def not and its due to his driving he was told by machanic.

We don't know what to do should we cut our losses and change cars or fight if clutch is gone again

Husband been driving 25 yrs

That caught my attention.

What do you mean by "smelling again"?
    You say clutch was replaced due to defective fly wheel? So if "smelling again" what was smelling beforehand?
    As I can't imagine any reason for defective flywheel to be smelling...

Also since I stared driving, I went through few clutch failures (both release bearing/pressure plate or disc/plate wear, but never experienced any smelling.

Could you explain what smelling is it, you mentioned?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,544 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

CiniO wrote: »
    That caught my attention.

What do you mean by "smelling again"?
    You say clutch was replaced due to defective fly wheel? So if "smelling again" what was smelling beforehand?
    As I can't imagine any reason for defective flywheel to be smelling...

Also since I stared driving, I went through few clutch failures (both release bearing/pressure plate or disc/plate wear, but never experienced any smelling.

Could you explain what smelling is it, you mentioned?

Smelling as in clutch burning id assume.
    Someone driving with foot on clutch possibly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Bring the car back and tell them that if they don't fix it you will bring it elsewhere, get it repaired properly and take a case to the small claims court against them for the full cost of the replacement clutch & flywheel.

Fitting a used clutch is like putting your dirty underwear on after taking a shower:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Annabananna

The clutch starting smelling the first time at 6km they could find nothing wrong it again started smelling at 16km they replaced a pipe of some sort next at 20km they tell us the flywheel is defective and clutch is worn due to this this was second week in may 16 now we are at 6km on new clutch smelling has started again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

The Renault Megane of the 2006 era had clutch issues with the flywheel warping. This would manifest as the car juddering during take off no matter how smooth you tried to take off.

My folks had the issue within a year of owning, despite driving hundreds of thousands of miles each over the years in various cars of various ages - including three Renault's prior. Never once had a clutch go.

Like you Renault initially blamed it on driving style until pushed and eventually admitted a flywheel fault. What was most annoying was they kept replacing it with the same defective part so every year it would go back for a new clutch under warranty.

Once warranty was out they flogged the Renault on and have not owned, nor ever will own in the future, another Renault group car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I wonder if it is actually in his head, he could be smelling an artic braking nearby and assuming it's his clutch.

Is the clutch actually slipping? It would have to be for there being a burning smell from it. Test it by watching the rpm whilst trying to pull off with the handbrke on. If the clutch is slipping the rpm will rise, if not it will likely stall

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Annabananna

No it's not in his head I smell it kids smell it our neighbours smelt it when we bought them to mass clutch is not slipping yet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

can't be smelling if it's not slipping. Perhaps it's your brakes?

Advertisement