Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

will property pillars like daft suffer

Options
  • 24-07-2016 9:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭

Daft is a pillar of Irish Society the place to go when looking to buy, sell and rent and has dominated for a long time.

It obviously has reached a certain size and certain burn rate in regards to how big it has gotten.

Currently Dublin City has only 1500 homes for rent, will this effect the future cashflow of daft and smaller operators ?

The lack of supply and churn must be hitting other industry's as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭belfe

First of all, daft is used for renting, sharing and buying, so a shortage in rents is only a part of their bussiness.

Apart of it, I think that this situation is positive for them. In the last two months, I´ve been looking for an apartment/house (I just found it and rented it last week), and I´ve been using daft in daily basis. I guess that it could be hundreds of people in my situation. The 1500 homes that you see will be rented tomorrow, literally, and other 1500 will be on rent in two days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Will the lack of supply affect websites like DAFT?
    I honestly don't think so.
    DAFT has reinvented itself many times- and indeed existed in a non-monetised form for a considerable length of time- before they figured what the market would bear.

I suspect advertising on some of the less salubrious sites- of which there are at least 2 or 3 in use nationally (I'm not going to name them)- will falter and migrate over to the likes of Daft and Myhome.ie

As for revenues falling- yes- they probably will- however, I suspect we'll find additional services being accessed via the most high profile sites- so they become value added propositions for buyers and sellers (or indeed, renters and landlords). So- Google banner adds- might be replaced with more appropriate localised advertisements- perhaps featuring the various professions, the various trades- and perhaps offering innovative services which aren't currently on the Irish market.

I'd suggest there is also a big space for the likes of the Residential Tenancies Board- to get close with DAFT- possibly some of the smaller organisations like Threshold too- to bring related services under the one online umbrella (or at least convenient for users).

Websites like DAFT have been good at innovating- and most probably will continue to do so- I don't see them floundering imminently........

Advertisement