Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beretta A300 Thoughts and price

Options
  • 24-07-2016 10:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,

First time applicant soon but have been shooting for about 2 years based on using club guns

I love the club's A400 Xcel sporting semi auto. But my understanding is its around 2000 New which is out of my price range

Im looking at the A300 and want to know how that compares for sporting
    I really liked the the A400 lack of recoil , weight and easy to use

How much New and second hand have people seen the A300 going for.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭lanber man

bpb101 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

First time applicant soon but have been shooting for about 2 years based on using club guns

I love the club's A400 Xcel sporting semi auto. But my understanding is its around 2000 New which is out of my price range

Im looking at the A300 and want to know how that compares for sporting
    I really liked the the A400 lack of recoil , weight and easy to use

How much New and second hand have people seen the A300 going for.

Cheers.
    There's a lovely a400 in with Malcolm graham in Monaghan. 1300 if memory serves me right. Won't go wrong with that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

lanber man wrote:
    There's a lovely a400 in with Malcolm graham in Monaghan. 1300 if memory serves me right. Won't go wrong with that

Cheers. I presume thats second hand.
    I was hoping only to spend about only 550/600.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭turismo2142

I have an A400 explor unico. The A300 outlander (is very similar except it doesn't have a mag cut off (which I personally don't like as you have to unload the whole gun rather than just the chamber to make it safe. In hunting circles if you're out with most people they don't like semi autos when rough shooting. Getting over fences etc. with one chambered is a no no but unloading the mag tube everytime you do is a pain.

Other than that the kick off system (which the outlander doesn't have) is grand. Not all it's cracked up to be. Having the ability to shoot 3.5 supermagnum (the third big difference) is also pointless. So the only real difference is the cut off and finish (not even sure there's much difference in the finish).

You might be able to get one privately second hand for that money. Can't see a dealer doing it for that though.

You say club guns? I take it you're talking about clays? What is it you want the gun for? Given the fact that you mention the excel I assume you're talking about clays (couldn't stand the blue excel myself). The gun's a good all rounder. I use the A400 for a tiny bit of rough shooting, Ducks, pigeons and crows (and a few clays in Harbour House from time to time). Semis are really best for decoy shooting really. If that's not what you're going to do I'd say go for an O/U.

If it is clays you shoot and you're in a club can I ask if the more experienced club members are suggesting you get a semi-auto for clays? I'd be surprised by that.

You might be able to get some of the older A391 models for your budget. Very good guns I hear.

Good luck with the search.

I have an A400 explor unico. The A300 outlander (is very similar except it doesn't have a mag cut off (which I personally don't like as you have to unload the whole gun rather than just the chamber to make it safe. In hunting circles if you're out with most people they don't like semi autos when rough shooting. Getting over fences etc. with one chambered is a no no but unloading the mag tube everytime you do is a pain.

Other than that the kick off system (which the outlander doesn't have) is grand. Not all it's cracked up to be. Having the ability to shoot 3.5 supermagnum (the third big difference) is also pointless. So the only real difference is the cut off and finish (not even sure there's much difference in the finish).

You might be able to get one privately second hand for that money. Can't see a dealer doing it for that though.

You say club guns? I take it you're talking about clays? What is it you want the gun for? Given the fact that you mention the excel I assume you're talking about clays (couldn't stand the blue excel myself). The gun's a good all rounder. I use the A400 for a tiny bit of rough shooting, Ducks, pigeons and crows (and a few clays in Harbour House from time to time). Semis are really best for decoy shooting really. If that's not what you're going to do I'd say go for an O/U.

If it is clays you shoot and you're in a club can I ask if the more experienced club members are suggesting you get a semi-auto for clays? I'd be surprised by that.

You might be able to get some of the older A391 models for your budget. Very good guns I hear.

Good luck with the search.
    Yea, clay club semi auto
    I have no interest in hunting just sporting clays.
    Im just joining the club officially now, however i used to go out as technically a cooperate non member,(with college)
    No , there not recommending a semi for clays, however ive used several o/u and and the A400 both a good bit, and i really much preferred a Semi.
    I think the light weight combined with the low recoil suits me best

What i really like about the A400 is the 3 spring thing that absorbs the recoil. Compared to o/u ive fired, there is vertically no recoil(for me). This is what is really driving me to get one.

Cheers for the info

I understand. Believe me, the A400 recoils almost as much as an O/U, it's just that you don't feel it with the kick off. Gas operated Semis generally shoot softer than S/S O/U but it's more to do with the action than any faddish damper.

It's a nice gun though. And as for clays, the mag cut off isn't an issue so from your perspective the 300 v 400 difference is simply the kick off system. I suggest you try another semi or a non kick off equipped beretta and I think you'll find that they shoot softly enough too (and for less).

If you're really set on a kick off you might find some of the older Beretta extremas knocking around for not much above your budget. They're longer guns though if you compare receiver length.

• Advertisement

I understand. Believe me, the A400 recoils almost as much as an O/U, it's just that you don't feel it with the kick off. Gas operated Semis generally shoot softer than S/S O/U but it's more to do with the action than any faddish damper.

It's a nice gun though. And as for clays, the mag cut off isn't an issue so from your perspective the 300 v 400 difference is simply the kick off system. I suggest you try another semi or a non kick off equipped beretta and I think you'll find that they shoot softly enough too (and for less).

If you're really set on a kick off you might find some of the older Beretta extremas knocking around for not much above your budget. They're longer guns though if you compare receiver length.

Cheers for the info,
    My budget isent set in stone or anything, rather spend a bit more than buy Shíte, I just dont want to spend a fortune....
    Ill have a look at a few other semis that would be a good idea.

could you tell us though, how much would be reasonable price for both A300 and A400 second hand(i know its how much use and all but)

I paid €1,300 for my A400 second hand in November 2014. It was immaculate (apart from the recoil pad which was a bit worn but that's common).

You should be able to pick one up for less at this stage but I couldn't see it going for less than €1,150 and you'd need to buy direct from an owner as a dealer will always need his couple of hundred margin which is fair enough.

Not sure about the Outlander. They were going for €1,000 new so I suppose €650 to €700 wouldn't be unreasonable for one in good condition (they'll all be in good condition really as they gun was released in the last 5 years).

I paid €1,300 for my A400 second hand in November 2014. It was immaculate (apart from the recoil pad which was a bit worn but that's common).

You should be able to pick one up for less at this stage but I couldn't see it going for less than €1,150 and you'd need to buy direct from an owner as a dealer will always need his couple of hundred margin which is fair enough.

Not sure about the Outlander. They were going for €1,000 new so I suppose €650 to €700 wouldn't be unreasonable for one in good condition (they'll all be in good condition really as they gun was released in the last 5 years).

Super Turismo, Thanks for the info

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

You should not rule out a Beretta 391 you'd probably pick one up second hand for around 850.

I agree, totally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Brianmeath

I have a 300. Fantastic reliable gun. I have shoot all sorts of loads out of it with no problems. It's a black synthetic one which is ideal for field work. I have used it for clays but bought it as a vermin gun. Recoil is very soft even with big loads.
    I think I paid 650 for it second hand.
    I had a A400 before it and it was a disaster. Didn't like 28g stuff. The receiver chipped on it from ejecting shells. It was a nice looking gun tough.

i know website for firearms in ireland arent in anyway updated
    but thoughts on this 303
    http://www.sportsden.ie/guns/gun-showroom/shotguns/beretta-303-semi-auto-12g.html

Is there much differences in the different Beretta's 300's semis?

Cheers for the info lads. has definitely widened my search so far

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

bpb101 wrote:
    i know website for firearms in ireland arent in anyway updated but thoughts on this 303

303 is a good shotgun I know two people with them bought new. There is a very clean one in Malcolm Graham's in Monaghan.

went with a 300 in the end . €390
    decent condition. Now to play the waiting game

https://outdoorsports.ie/collections/guns/products/beretta-300-12g-semi-auto

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Nice one, congrats.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Nice one, congrats.

Nice and cheap. Well done

Advertisement