Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on Rent issue

Options
  • 24-07-2016 11:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭

I've been renting a house in Dublin for over 3 years. We originally rented the house in summer time, and when winter came around we discovered the heating didn't work, which the landlord refused to fix at any point since.

We've also had problems with rats in the last 12 months, and despite knowing where the hole they get in by is, the landlord still hasn't fixed it.

The rent is relatively cheap, we haven't had an increase since we moved in, so we've stuck it out as there isn't much else around. We're college students and will be finished college next May. 2 weeks ago, our landlord got in touch to ask if we intended staying on until then, we said we did and I have a text from him saying ''We are happy to roll on with the current arrangement until end May next if OK with you. Will be in touch re workman and plan to install central heating next spring.''

Last week, the landords wife who we've also dealt with in the past, got in touch looking for a €200 rent increase from 1st August. We tried to negotiate but she didn't budge. I asked her for our 90 days written notice of the rent increase, which she has not supplied yet but she said she'd have to apply a 'pro rata' increase if we're not paying any extra for 3 months.

My question is, does the text 2 weeks ago about rolling on with the current arrangement have standing as an agreement to keep the rent the same until May?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

omicron wrote: »
    I've been renting a house in Dublin for over 3 years. We originally rented the house in summer time, and when winter came around we discovered the heating didn't work, which the landlord refused to fix at any point since.

We've also had problems with rats in the last 12 months, and despite knowing where the hole they get in by is, the landlord still hasn't fixed it.

The rent is relatively cheap, we haven't had an increase since we moved in, so we've stuck it out as there isn't much else around. We're college students and will be finished college next May. 2 weeks ago, our landlord got in touch to ask if we intended staying on until then, we said we did and I have a text from him saying ''We are happy to roll on with the current arrangement until end May next if OK with you. Will be in touch re workman and plan to install central heating next spring.''

Last week, the landords wife who we've also dealt with in the past, got in touch looking for a €200 rent increase from 1st August. We tried to negotiate but she didn't budge. I asked her for our 90 days written notice of the rent increase, which she has not supplied yet but she said she'd have to apply a 'pro rata' increase if we're not paying any extra for 3 months.

My question is, does the text 2 weeks ago about rolling on with the current arrangement have standing as an agreement to keep the rent the same until May?

Any rent increases that you LL wants to implement must be in writing and give you 90 days notice otherwise it's null and void I would insist on the problem of the rats being sorted and also the central heating before next spring sure come October it will be cold again.
    I would think that the text message you received has some standing unless they send the letter with notice to raise the rent.
    Check with the PRTB on as to where you stand.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

To be brutally honest- I'd report the property to the Local Authority's environmental health officer- as unfit for human habitation- and look elsewhere........ I'd also lob a case to the Residential Tenancies Board- as lack of heating is unacceptable under the Act.

Normally if you're well aware of where a rodent is entering a property- you'd simply nip out to the local hardware store and buy a bag of steel wool, and stuff it in the hole- presto, problem solved.

No heating- and none for the last 3 years- is a biggie.

You've been lucky- in that we've had a mild few winters- what the hell would it be like if we had temperatures hitting minus 20 or lower- which we have had 4 years ago...........

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

So basically they are threatening you with a bigger rent increase unless you accept their first proposed increase sooner than the 90 days notice you are legally entitled to. And this is before they've fixed the heating and done anything about the rats.

Contact Threshold and the PRTB for advice ASAP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Angel2016

To be brutally honest- I'd report the property to the Local Authority's environmental health officer- as unfit for human habitation- and look elsewhere........ I'd also lob a case to the Residential Tenancies Board- as lack of heating is unacceptable under the Act.

Normally if you're well aware of where a rodent is entering a property- you'd simply nip out to the local hardware store and buy a bag of steel wool, and stuff it in the hole- presto, problem solved.

No heating- and none for the last 3 years- is a biggie.

You've been lucky- in that we've had a mild few winters- what the hell would it be like if we had temperatures hitting minus 20 or lower- which we have had 4 years ago...........

The council are actually checking up on private rented properties at the moment to fall in line with the government rules on standards of houses as I received a letter from SDCC wanting to come inspect the house I rent so I would agree report it to the council.

Advertisement