Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vernon mount on fire!

Options
  • 24-07-2016 11:18pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Look out your Windows, one of Corks true architectural & historical buildings is on fire.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

BryanF wrote: »
    Look out your Windows, one of Corks true architectural & historical buildings is on fire.

Disgrace that the building was left fall into such disrepair,Now all gone.
    I hope heads roll for this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,911 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Magnificent building. I used to bmx down the motor cross hills as a young fella 25-30 years ago. I was in the building a few times, always got the feeling of grandeur when inside it. An absolute shame it was left go so bad. They fixed most of the roof 10-15 years ago but too little too late.

Really hope they catch the little shíts that started it. It will probably open the way for a hotel or something on the grounds at some stage of the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Hope they catch the fcukers who did it.

And to those in government who let it sit there for years, falling into disrepair, and doing absolutely nothing with it, this is much their fault as it is the little scumbags who set it alight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Was walking down the south Douglas road around half 8 and realized for the first time what that impressive house on the hill by the South Ring was. Had never noticed it before. An hour later you could tell where it was from anywhere in the city...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

Just heard it on the radio, what a shame... And tots agree :) a shame they left it go to rubble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,292 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Politicians out in force today lamenting the loss. Pity they weren't so interested in the place for the last few decades as it went to ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Some significant ceiling paintings and architectural features lost. What a shame

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭flo8s967qjh0nd

Very sad to see this. The owners need to be held responsible here. Some thug may have lit the fire but the owners have neglected it for decades.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

AFAIA the owners have wanted to do something for ages but objections, mainly from people in the area stalled things.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,033 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

roundymac wrote: »
    AFAIA the owners have wanted to do something for ages but objections, mainly from people in the area stalled things.

I don't believe that failure to achieve planning permission for a development absolves an owner of a listed building of major architectural importance of all responsibility for said building.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

I don't believe that failure to achieve planning permission for a development absolves an owner of a listed building of major architectural importance of all responsibility for said building.

They live abroad... Afaik they for permission to convert it a hotel, denied.
    They applied to develop the rest of the site into housing so they could fund the restoration, denied.

I mean ffs.

Have you ever had any experience dealing with the council on a Protected or listed building? It's like bashing your head on a 'protected' wall. All the strangling or beurocracy, none of the supports. The preservation grants wouldn't even floor a room, let alone the rest of it.

Look at the home of george Boole in the city. The father of computing, in cork! It fecking collapsed before anything was done with it. That big house in tivoli, what's happening there? Drumcora lodge in blackrock... Another derelict one. Ballintemple house (lovetts?).

Our built heritage and history, pfft. Gone.

Made my blood boil hearing councillors moaning and wringing their hands earlier. The council are the roadblock!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,911 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

CB19Kevo wrote: »
    Disgrace that the building was left fall into such disrepair,Now all gone.
    I hope heads roll for this.

Whose head exactly?

Even if the little b*stards who set the fire were caught all they will get is a slap on the wrist.

As for the politicians, they will hand-wring now and it'll all be forgotten about come election time because we as a people don't care enough about our heritage.
    When it boils down to it all we do is hand-wring ourselves and spin the "won't someone do something" line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭boardsuser1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Bulldoze it.

It's wrecked already. Make it safe at least.

pwurple wrote: »
    Bulldoze it.

It's wrecked already. Make it safe at least.

Developers to move on site soon afterwards probably!

Is the structure completely fcuked?

I've never been up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Developers to move on site soon afterwards probably!

Is the structure completely fcuked?

I've never been up there.

We drove in on Saturday evening ,it's really gutted.A few walls standing but the inside is completely gone,it's a shell.We had great times in there years ago and genuinely were upset to see it is now.

Colser wrote: »
    We drove in on Saturday evening ,it's really gutted.A few walls standing but the inside is completely gone,it's a shell.We had great times in there years ago and genuinely were upset to see it is now.

Would it warrant demolition?

Only when the fire occurred did I know it existed.

What was in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭Colser

Would it warrant demolition?

Only when the fire occurred did I know it existed.

What was in there?

I would have thought that they would restore it incorporating the remaining walls but I'm not an expert.

Years ago there used to be a bar in there when they held events up there,I never went upstairs but it really was a beautiful building,such a shame about the fire but something should have been done with it down through the years tbh.

I used to go up there with my BMX bike well over 30 years ago and cycle down parts of the motor x course. The building was really beautiful. I was in it, and the bar, but even then it needed a lot of work. From what I see from the pics it should be knocked. There would be a possibility of keeping about 30 -40 % of the main facade and building around it but much easier to knock it completely.
    I hate when planners prevent work on buildings because they were listed. What normally happens is the buildings are left to fall into rack and ruin until young fellas do enough damage to ruin it completely. Surely someone wanting to do some work should be encouraged rather than to put as many obstacles in the way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    I used to go up there with my BMX bike well over 30 years ago and cycle down parts of the motor x course. The building was really beautiful. I was in it, and the bar, but even then it needed a lot of work. From what I see from the pics it should be knocked. There would be a possibility of keeping about 30 -40 % of the main facade and building around it but much easier to knock it completely.
    I hate when planners prevent work on buildings because they were listed. What normally happens is the buildings are left to fall into rack and ruin until young fellas do enough damage to ruin it completely. Surely someone wanting to do some work should be encouraged rather than to put as many obstacles in the way.

What was actually proposed, and why was it shot down?
    According to the owners there was "outside intervention" to the planning process

http://amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/vernon-mount-owner-gutted-at-loss-but-believes-property-can-be-saved-412525.html

What was actually proposed, and why was it shot down?
    According to the owners there was "outside intervention" to the planning process

http://amp.irishexaminer.com/ireland/vernon-mount-owner-gutted-at-loss-but-believes-property-can-be-saved-412525.html

What kind though is what i'd be interested in knowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

What kind though is what i'd be interested in knowing.

Taisce might have Ixnayed it?

ShamoBuc wrote: »

The Poles rebuilt Warsaw's Old Town exactly as it was before it was destroyed but the Irish can't rebuild one lousy house.

The Poles rebuilt Warsaw's Old Town exactly as it was before it was destroyed but the Irish can't rebuild one lousy house.

It's amazing what money can do.

***I didn't mention bribes***

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

I'm sure we could if we wanted but it it worth the money to rebuild one isoloted house really? It is a completely different thing to rebuilding a town which HAS to be done. Apples and oranges really.

But sure it sounds good to say it as it pointlessly knocks Ireland again.

Ludo wrote: »

But sure it sounds good to say it as it pointlessly knocks Ireland again.

Ireland needs to be called out, it's a great country but we've made the countryside, towns and cities ugly and bland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Ireland needs to be called out, it's a great country but we've made the countryside, towns and cities ugly and bland.

Tis boring at this point. Bad driving is an Irish only thing, bad planning is Irish only, homelessness is Irish only, welfare spongers Irish only,bad transport, health service...yadda yadda yadda. Only in Ireland...yeah right.

Ludo wrote: »
    Tis boring at this point. Bad driving is an Irish only thing, bad planning is Irish only, homelessness is Irish only, welfare spongers Irish only,bad transport, health service...yadda yadda yadda. Only in Ireland...yeah right.

Ah, you're more of a 'shur it'll be grand/keep the recovery going' type.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Called out?
    Ugly and bland in your eyes doesn't equate to everyone else's eyes.

Advertisement