Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai i40 airbag failure

• 25-07-2016 2:40am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭

so i was in a rta at about 50 to 60 kph with a bmw .

I was stopped and he was doing the 50 to 60

two passengers in a hyundai i40 and the airbags never went off ,

the car kept running till i turned it off and electrical system stayed operating as usual .

minor injuries stiffness and soreness wrist sore from impact holding the wheel

anyone any idea why the airbags never went off ???

from what i can se online anything over 14 mph they should have

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

You need to activate several crash sensors at a time to activate the air bags. The impact probably wasn't strong enough to warrant airbag deployment and the fact that you don't have any face injuries shows that.

In a crash you are meant to release the steering wheel because it will hurt otherwise.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

even in a front end crash ? the whole passenger side half of the car got hit ,

If id seen him coming i could have left go but i had assumed that the red light would deter him still mabey next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

There's needs to be about a foot of crush damage to the front of the car for them to go off.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

hmmm ya i think there was at least that as we got shunted off the road ,

think i ll get it looked into

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

There are instances when the bags won't go off if the sensors deem it unsafe to use them too. They aren't designed to go off in every type of accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

Maybe the bmw had slowed down to about 40km/h before impact?

You were already stopped. So this would be the same as a head on collision with both cars travelling at 20 km/h, which is 12 mph and below the 14 mph threshold mentioned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,081 ✭✭✭kirving

The car almost certainly will log all the acceleration, wheel speed, suspension travel, crash, pressure sensor, etc. data in order to exonerate Hyundai (or whatever manufacturer) in case of an accident. If you are really concerned you could demand to have it analysed by them.

Until the point that it can be deemed a failure by data, I think it’s disingenuous to refer to it as such, particularly given the light injuries suffered.

Airbags are an absolute last resort and the car wont set them off unless it really has to, since the initial impact could cause the car to be pushed into the path of oncoming traffic, where the airbags might really be needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭shietpilot

Airbags are an absolute last resort and the car wont set them off unless it really has to, since the initial impact could cause the car to be pushed into the path of oncoming traffic, where the airbags might really be needed.

Also, it's possible for them to do more harm than good in a light crash so they will only be deployed if they are really needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

Airbags fcuking hurt, I'd be delighted they didn't go off unless they were going to stop me getting wrapped around the steering wheel.

The term airbag is a joke, should be more like: rock hard exploding Mike Tyson punch delivery bags

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,061 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

mynamejeff wrote: »
    so i was in a rta at about 50 to 60 kph with a bmw .

I was stopped and he was doing the 50 to 60

two passengers in a hyundai i40 and the airbags never went off ,

the car kept running till i turned it off and electrical system stayed operating as usual .

minor injuries stiffness and soreness wrist sore from impact holding the wheel

anyone any idea why the airbags never went off ???

from what i can se online anything over 14 mph they should have

The car did what it's supposed to do, you walked away with minor injuries. Airbags can do a lot of damage to a person when deployed so generally they try not to deploy them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Cheensbo wrote: »
    Airbags fcuking hurt, I'd be delighted they didn't go off unless they were going to stop me getting wrapped around the steering wheel.

The term airbag is a joke, should be more like: rock hard exploding Mike Tyson punch delivery bags
    This ^^ A lot of people seem to imagine an airbag going off is like an angel gently inflating a nice soft, comfy cushion around you in slow-motion as your car crashes around you. It's not ... it's noisy, smelly, violent and can potentially cause injuries on it's own, albeit less severe than the one's you would have received if the airbag wasn't there at all. Very much a last resort if you like.

OP, you should actually be grateful it didn't go off in the circumstances, and in fact, from your description of the incident and the very minor injuries you sustained, it shouldn't have.

Advertisement