Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WordPress on Register 365 - recommend backup plugin

Options
  • 25-07-2016 7:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭

Most of my sites are on Blacknight and I use BackWPup to backup the database and files to Amazon S3. This plugin does not work on sites hosted on Register 365.
    I have tried UpdraftPlus but its backup jobs only work when started manually.

I asked R365 Support for recommendations. They were not able to recommend any.
    We have no recommended plugins, we would need to know what they require server wise to be able to tell you what they need.

For example some require loopback connections which is not available.

If you have a WordPress site on R365 and run automated backups, what do you us?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

We're not allowed to discuss specific hosts.

I would recommend trying All-in-One WP Migration, what I like is they've got the restore feature baked in and easy to use. You can choose from a nice selection of options for what to include/exclude (e.g. spam comments, post revisions etc). You can Export ("backup") to file system for free; other places like Dropbox, Google Drive etc requires payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I gave it a quick try but it does not automate the backup process.

I have been meaning to write/borrow a script that backs up a database to a sql file (R365 does not have the mysqldump binary on the web servers so that Is not an option). This might be the motivation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭Talisman

Automatic backup would be regarded as a premium feature so you will have to spend some money.

The two biggest backup plugins are Backup Buddy and UpdraftPlus, they are definitely worth considering. I've been using BackupBuddy since shortly after its release in 2010 and would highly recommend it - the lifetime license has more than paid for itself at this point. I worked on a client site which uses UpdraftPlus a few months ago and found it to be less greedy in terms of resources required to perform backups. I've also experienced situations where BackupBuddy was unable to complete a backup of a site because of the server configuration.

VaultPress is an automated backup service offered by Automatic, the company responsible for WordPress. Initially the service was priced at $5 per month, but that has since increased to $9 per month.

Advertisement