Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flye Fit, Coolock burnt down in arson attack!!!

• 25-07-2016 8:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭

Some people are just arseholes.

Someone drove a car through the front doors in the early hours of this morning, doused the entrance in petrol ~ and well, the photos speak for themselves :mad:

392612.jpg

392613.jpg

Bastards, scummy bastards.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

Someone told me that no more than an hour ago.

I'm devastated for them.

Hope everyone's ok and they get back sorted fast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

There's a video doing the rounds, so hopefully they'll catch the pricks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

Is that the retail park where the Lidl is ?? Wasn't there a big fire there years ago and the toy shop was leveled ??

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

D3V!L wrote: »
    Is that the retail park where the Lidl is ?? Wasn't there a big fire there years ago and the toy shop was leveled ??

You're dead right.

What the hell is going on down there?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/dublin-toy-shop-destroyed-by-overnight-fire-1.503781

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

I hope they are Insured for Arson.

Not sure any policy will cover disruption to business, loss of customers etc.

Hope they get back on their feet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

Horrible scumbags. Let's hope they are caught and the gym gets back on their feet soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I thought it was open 24 hours a day, was anyone present when it happened?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭D3V!L

I thought it was open 24 hours a day, was anyone present when it happened?

They are 24 hours but unmanned for a period during the night. I think from about 11 pm - 7 am.

I use the one on Baggot Street and its the best gym I've ever used, sound members and staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭gymfreak

I can't believe that. It's just disgraceful

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭big syke

Terrible news on a Monday :mad:
    ford2600 wrote: »
    I hope they are Insured for Arson.

Not sure any policy will cover disruption to business, loss of customers etc.

Hope they get back on their feet.

They should have Business Interruption on their Fire/Property policy - fairly standard cover..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

Someone drove a car through the front doors in the early hours of this morning, doused the entrance in petrol ~ and well, the photos speak for themselves :mad:

How do you know they doused the entrance in petrol? Was it not just that the car that crashed into it went up in flames?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

How do you know they doused the entrance in petrol? Was it not just that the car that crashed into it went up in flames?

It's clearly an admission of his guilt!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Because when a car crashes into glass it instantly bursts into flames and burns everything around it :rolleyes:

Devil, Coolock has security after eleven. And yes done people were training there at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,725 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/two-men-seen-running-from-scene-of-arson-attack-on-popular-24hour-dublin-gym-34909180.html
    Garda sources say one man was seen driving the car into the entrance of the popular local gym and then a second man was seen pouring petrol over it before setting it alight.

Evenue more frightening though
    It is understood there were a small number of people in the gym at the time of the attack but the building was safely evacuated through the emergency exits.

I mean we all like to "feel the burn" but jaysus :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

That's a fairly unusual thing to do, I imagine there's a motive of some kind behind it.

e.g. disgruntled ex-member/ex-staff/competitor company/ex-boyfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »
    That's a fairly unusual thing to do, I imagine there's a motive of some kind behind it.

Werent happy with the gainz.......

dRNk SAnTA wrote: »

I have been thinking either local gangsters/extortion or local gym getting rid of competition but that's just my personal thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Buckfast W

Local Competition seems to be the rumour flying around, thats just what I've heard from friends

Buckfast W wrote: »
    Local Competition seems to be the rumour flying around, thats just what I've heard from friends

Does it even have any local competition??

Yup yup does indeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

392621.jpg

It seems like we have the person responsible for it guys. It's an open and shut case.

On a serious note though, the gym was the best thing to open in the area for a long time. I joined it as soon as the registrations opened and I was looking forward to getting greater use out of it during the winter months.

Fair play to them for pausing the payments and allowing users to roam with their other gyms. I don't think I'll use any of their other gyms but the option was nice to have.

Hopefully they can get it back up and running again without it affecting their revenue stream and their other gyms too much.

Yup yup does indeed

Well they're unknown to me and I live around there and have been training in various places in the area for years, so do tell!
    Unless it was those crafty Clontarf thugs from Westwood again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Well they're unknown to me and I live around there and have been training in various places in the area for years, so do tell!
    Unless it was those crafty Clontarf thugs from Westwood again...

There's a gym in the industrial estate and another in Parnell's.

Haven't heard any rumours of it being local competition but it wouldn't surprise me, given the rumours that surround the other two gyms.

There's a gym in the industrial estate and another in Parnell's.

Haven't heard any rumours of it being local competition but it wouldn't surprise me, given the rumours that surround the other two gyms.

I hardly think it was the Parnell GAA club! It would be pretty sad if it was down to this kind of thing though, Flye Fit are an excellent service.

One of said gyms apparently has links to our Northern cousins, dunno how true that is.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Terrible thing to happen any time but on the day they are just opening a brand new one on SCR too. Hopefully they get up and running again in Coolock soon. I can't believe they set the place on fire with people still inside :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Just going into Lidl beside it. Hope they get the fools. Shocking.

One of the local gyms is offering free classes to the users of flye fit till they get back on their feet. Cough cough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

It's depressing. Other idiots in the area like burning down 18th century buildings :( Probably the same fools who like to destroy kids playgrounds and parks.

• Advertisement

It's depressing. Other idiots in the area like burning down 18th century buildings :( Probably the same fools who like to destroy kids playgrounds and parks.

This somehow seems a bit more deliberate. The place is only open and its already burned down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Balls :(

Nate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Crazy!

Confirms what others have already suspected though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Mr Big needs to go to the gym I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

dRNk SAnTA wrote:

It is very likely a local competitor.

• Advertisement

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    It is very likely a local competitor.

It's exactly what it was, local thug didn't like competition in his area so had the place burned down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

That's some mafia shit right there. What a gang of scumbags. Hope Flyefit drive them out of business.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Swords has been unbelievably busy the past two nights going on past 10 o'clock with no benches to be seen without a wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭rondog

What a scumbag! unfortunately this will discourage any other gym from opening up in the area.

Competition is great for the consumer.

Anyone hear anything from Flyefit or any updates/rumors?.

I've tried contacting them via email, twitter and FB and no reply as to whether they have any time frame in mind for a re-opening.

I pass by a number of times a day and it appears as though (apart from some shuttering) nothing is being done to renovate the premises.

I'm fooking infuriated that a few scumbags can close an amenity like this to the community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,164 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I pass by a number of times a day and it appears as though (apart from some shuttering) nothing is being done to renovate the premises.

Police had to do their job first then Insurance assessors come in (assuming they are insured). It's only been a few days. Bank holiday weekend will delay for a few more days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

It wouldn't surprise me terribly if FF cut their losses and pulled out of their Coolock operation altogether... if the rumours are true about what happened, they might feel it's not worth the hassle and choose to concentrate on their many other facilities... then again, who knows how that would work, legally, regarding the premises, their customers etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,310 ✭✭✭COH

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me terribly if FF cut their losses and pulled out of their Coolock operation altogether... if the rumours are true about what happened, they might feel it's not worth the hassle and choose to concentrate on their many other facilities... then again, who knows how that would work, legally, regarding the premises, their customers etc...

They still have a lease that they have to honour - and if they cut their losses they'd be talking 7 figures and setting a pretty dangerous precedent

WHIP IT! wrote: »

I've a feeling for security reasons they might scrap the idea of opening in the same premises again.

Like how do you prevent such an attack again?.. Bollards out front, restricted opening hours.. And what happens if the same people who carried out the attack start to attack customers cars or intimidate staff, management or customers.

I can imagine the owners/investors are having a nightmare over whats best to do without seeming to give into gangsters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Like how do you prevent such an attack again?.. Bollards out front, restricted opening hours.. And what happens if the same people who carried out the attack start to attack customers cars or intimidate staff, management or customers.

I've a feeling for security reasons they might scrap the idea of opening in the same premises again.

I can imagine the owners/investors are having a nightmare over whats best to do without seeming to give into gangsters.

I agree. If you were a staff member would you go back to work there? Don't think I would...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

I doubt it. Like I imagine they will find it easy for someone else to take over the lease. I know good business is about forgetting what you sank into a business already, but I cant imagine them walking away from this

Bollards would have prevented this. It is common for a lot of shops to have bollards to stop cars/vans being driven through shop windows. Like I dont see what security could have done. They want to have more monitoring of their business, which can be done remotely online.

A gangster wont do that. The Gardai in Dublin have no time for criminals intimidating people.

I imagine it will open up again. The fact was this probably entirely preventable with the right precautions. If I were flyefit I would chalk this down to a learning experience.

newacc2015 wrote: »
    The Gardai in Dublin have no time for criminals intimidating people.

LOL, riiiiiiiiiiiiight :rolleyes:

The dogs on the streets know who done this, AGS know who done this (and a host of other very serious crime) and even the media big up the fooker.

He cares little for AGS, media or the community.
    If you were a staff member would you go back to work there? Don't think I would...

I'm not sure I would either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Bollards would have prevented this. It is common for a lot of shops to have bollards to stop cars/vans being driven through shop windows...

The fact was this probably entirely preventable with the right precautions..

Bollards may have stopped the car but that's a pretty moot point. I expect shops with bollards have them to prevent smash & grab attacks, not arson.

Can't see how you could say it was entirely preventable, it'd be like saying if petrol sales were highly controlled it would not have happened, -they would have used diesel instead, just like if there were bollards they would use petrol bombs or something similar.

Can't imagine Mr Big & his cronies saying "shite, they are after putting up bollards, now what he hell can we do?"

The car thing is a bit mad and dangerous to the scumbag driving, maybe wanting to show they are a bit mental.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Burning Calories....eh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Mr Big is a terrible nickname. He's a character in Sex and the City. No wonder he doesn't want people knowing his real name.

• Advertisement
Advertisement