Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Flye Fit, Coolock burnt down in arson attack!!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

I have it on good authority they're just going to cut their loses and move on.

From what I hear, the car in the door way wasnt the only thing meant to happen on the night. Only 2 people in the building at the time and they got out safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

thehamo wrote: »
    I have it on good authority they're just going to cut their loses and move on.

From what I hear, the car in the door way wasnt the only thing meant to happen on the night. Only 2 people in the building at the time and they got out safe

There's all sorts of rumor going around, maybe best not to add to them although I'm expecting the worse.

Luckily I'm not stuck for a gym, we've an excellent gym in work plus I supplement it with TRX & a range of kettlebells at home (plus my Judo training), but its a big knock back for those who had just found a gym they loved (and I did too).. Its also an attack on the community, by quitting FF are setting a very dangerous precedence, and its a sad day for this area of Dublin when a facility like this is ran out of it by gangsters who appear to be immune from the powers of AGS or government.

If there is no statement from FF early this week their patrons patience is going to run out fast.

Dark times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

If there is no statement from FF early this week their patrons patience is going to run out fast.

Dark times.

Haven't they paused /refunded all that asked already and given free roaming to the rest?

Hanley wrote: »
    Haven't they paused /refunded all that asked already and given free roaming to the rest?

They have (as well you know), but there's a limit to peoples patience and in my experience peoples patience are a lot shorter than the one month frozen payments.

I do think FF acted swiftly and in the interests of its members, can't fault them there. But a lot of people (I'm guessing) are unwilling to travel to Swords and if the grumblings from the Swords members are to be believed (re. over crowding now) then things will come to a boil soon.

It's only a guess, but I'm guessing they'll look at the turn stiles data from Swords and if they're up significantly the choice might go in favor of cutting their (FF) loses in Coolock and shutting shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,656 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

They have (as well you know), but there's a limit to peoples patience and in my experience peoples patience are a lot shorter than the one month frozen payments.

I do think FF acted swiftly and in the interests of its members, can't fault them there. But a lot of people (I'm guessing) are unwilling to travel to Swords and if the grumblings from the Swords members are to be believed (re. over crowding now) then things will come to a boil soon.

It's only a guess, but I'm guessing they'll look at the turn stiles data from Swords and if they're up significantly the choice might go in favor of cutting their (FF) loses in Coolock and shutting shop.

Am in the swords FF and haven't heard any thing about overcrowding nor witnessed any sudden surge in numbers since Coolock was attacked.

The thing about swords is unless you have transport of your own then there is no way to get there from the Coolock area so Mary who wants to lose a few pounds and joined FF for convenience wouldn't be travelling out that far.

Will be interesting to see where they go with this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭cloneslad

I'm really hoping it opens up again but I don't feel too optimistic about it.

I've lived in the area for coming up on three years and it was the best thing to open up here in that time (I was in Fairview for two years before that too and nothing as convenient and enjoyable as the gym opening in that period of time either)

It's a sad state the place is in when a gym can't even operate without the fear that someone could be killed for just using it.

I know I won't be going to swords to use the gym if it does close down, it's just not worth the effort for me to drive out there. Playing rugby 2-3 times a week and doing some cardio on my own will just have to suffice. I was looking forward to using the gym in winter to do some non cardio fitness but that's not looking so promising now.

cloneslad wrote: »

I know I won't be going to swords to use the gym if it does close down, it's just not worth the effort for me to drive out there. Playing rugby 2-3 times a week and doing some cardio on my own will just have to suffice. I was looking forward to using the gym in winter to do some non cardio fitness but that's not looking so promising now.

Pretty much the situation with me.

I've Judo and BJJ number of times a week and waiting for traffic to ease off so I can get out to Swords just makes it (Swords FF) a hassle I don't need.

And looking at FF Coolock's last replies on facebook doesn't fill me with confidence :mad:

Pretty much the situation with me.

I've Judo and BJJ number of times a week and waiting for traffic to ease off so I can get out to Swords just makes it (Swords FF) a hassle I don't need.

And looking at FF Coolock's last replies on facebook doesn't fill me with confidence :mad:

Yeah, it doesn't make sense for me to drive past my apartment to go to the gym then come back again, nor does it make sense to go home, wait until the peak time ends the go to it.

I could get to the gym in coolock from 4:30-5:30 most days after work so could be home by 5:45-6:45. I had membership at Ben Dunnes in santry a few years ago and the traffic getting there, the crowded gym, the ignorant gym users etc put paid to me going there after about 2 months, I'd rather just run home from work.

What did they say recently on their Facebook page, all I could see is that they haven't been in to assess the situation

A reply I've had from an email to FF;
    We're having meetings today and tomorrow regarding the future of the gym

:/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Truly unbelievable, shameful. Not a member of these gyms but i wish them future success and hope they reopen it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭arayess

Am in the swords FF and haven't heard any thing about overcrowding nor witnessed any sudden surge in numbers since Coolock was attacked.

The thing about swords is unless you have transport of your own then there is no way to get there from the Coolock area so Mary who wants to lose a few pounds and joined FF for convenience wouldn't be travelling out that far.

Will be interesting to see where they go with this one.

i am in swords and it's busy as fcuk the whole time out. outrageously so.

I also know 5 lads that have sent stern emails to FF only to get some generic waffle in return.
    people are piSSed off...I'd go except I use it at anti social hours and FF is the only show in town in that regard.

even at 6am it's busy now - admittedly not jam packed like 6pm but a lot busier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,658 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

arayess wrote: »
    I also know 5 lads that have sent stern emails to FF only to get some generic waffle in return.

Tbf, what are their grounds for complaint? That it's too busy when they go to the gym? Most people sign up knowing that's a risk.

I get that it's frustrating as hell but I don't really see what FF can do about it? It'll probably quite down before too long as a lot of the migrants from Coolock will realise there was a reason they didn't join Swords in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Buckfast W wrote: »
    This somehow seems a bit more deliberate. The place is only open and its already burned down.

http://m.independent.ie/irish-news/shocking-scenes-as-car-driven-into-observatory-gate-house-and-set-alight-34912859.html

Just sayin'

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Homelesskid

Must be travellers on an arson rampage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,616 ✭✭✭caviardreams

Tbf, what are their grounds for complaint? That it's too busy when they go to the gym? Most people sign up knowing that's a risk.

I get that it's frustrating as hell but I don't really see what FF can do about it? It'll probably quite down before too long as a lot of the migrants from Coolock will realise there was a reason they didn't join Swords in the first place.

+1 Also Flyefit is an ultra low cost gym so one would expect it to be busy most times I imagine - lower price --> higher demand. If Flyefit were a premium gym model/product with fees of 800-1000 a year (places that often sell the idea of membership caps to members, whether it is true or not is another thing ;)) and there was significant overcrowding I think it would be less tolerable.

• Advertisement

+1 Also Flyefit is an ultra low cost gym so one would expect it to be busy most times I imagine - lower price --> higher demand. If Flyefit were a premium gym model/product with fees of 800-1000 a year (places that often sell the idea of membership caps to members, whether it is true or not is another thing ;)) and there was significant overcrowding I think it would be less tolerable.

It's like going to Dicey's on a Tuesday night and complaining about how long it takes to get served.

It's like going to Dicey's on a Tuesday night and complaining about how long it takes to get served.

it sure isn't
    it would like coppers closing and diceys staff saying "get in here lads , free booze" on top of an already busy/full pub.
    there is a limit to capacity - imagine over filling a room or a lift.
    but I think you knew that and you just fancied a bit of internet jousting.

they can resolve it , offer some clarity and not allow the gym to fill up beyond capacity. IT was a rush of blood to the head to allow members free roaming without considering the impact on other gyms.
    Have you considered fire safety? and other health and safety aspects ?
    have they?

they knew well when they offered free roaming that swords (which is already quite a busy place) would be packed beyond capacity.

It's a pain in the hole and become a mess -

hunting for plates
    waiting for racks/machine
    queuing for showers
    classes now being full and regulars being unable to attend their regular class
    place isn't as clean
    At times you are bumping into people.
    the car parking and approach area can't be chaos at peak time (morning is ok)

all the above happen at times ( i know this) but now it's even more so and become unpleasant.
    they have increase footfall dramatically without increasing service or capacity

not directly related but the place is an oven now cos the air con is/was crap but with more people there isn't not pleasant at times.

how dare I (and others) have expectations of normal and a certain level of service : you guys think all that is fine.

I beg to differ.

it sure isn't
    it would like coppers closing and diceys staff saying "get in here lads , free booze" on top of an already busy/full pub.
    there is a limit to capacity - imagine over filling a room or a lift.
    but I think you knew that and you just fancied a bit of internet jousting.

they can resolve it , offer some clarity and not allow the gym to fill up beyond capacity. IT was a rush of blood to the head to allow members free roaming without considering the impact on other gyms.
    Have you considered fire safety? and other health and safety aspects ?
    have they?

they knew well when they offered free roaming that swords (which is already quite a busy place) would be packed beyond capacity.

It's a pain in the hole and become a mess -

hunting for plates
    waiting for racks/machine
    queuing for showers
    classes now being full and regulars being unable to attend their regular class
    place isn't as clean
    At times you are bumping into people.
    the car parking and approach area can't be chaos at peak time (morning is ok)

all the above happen at times ( i know this) but now it's even more so and become unpleasant.
    they have increase footfall dramatically without increasing service or capacity

not directly related but the place is an oven now cos the air con is/was crap but with more people there isn't not pleasant at times.

how dare I (and others) have expectations of normal and a certain level of service : you guys think all that is fine.

I beg to differ.

I'm not saying its not frustrating but I don't know how you think they can resolve it without having the Coolock gym available. They have a duty to offer members facilities so what do you propose as a solution? Capping the number of people in the gym at any one time? That could still end up putting out the Swords members.

Like I said, I don't think it's going to be a long term problem.

I'm not saying its not frustrating but I don't know how you think they can resolve it without having the Coolock gym available. They have a duty to offer members facilities so what do you propose as a solution? Capping the number of people in the gym at any one time? That could still end up putting out the Swords members.

Like I said, I don't think it's going to be a long term problem.

they could have just blamed the criminal element and said "sorry lads, what can we do..."

but going down the route they did they could have

ensured the place was cleaned more

more classes I admit space can't increase but they could run extra classes earlier/later in the day.
    they have extra / new classes on the list this week but I know for a fact cos I was there that some of those 7am classes didn't run cos.

they could employ more staff to tidy up the gym , like put the weights back more often ,regrettable they must do this, I know but we need to be practical, the place is a wreck and no amount of preaching can help in the short term.

they could have shipped items such as dumbbells from coolock to swords to help deal with the volume.

but they didn't.

they could have just blamed the criminal element and said "sorry lads, what can we do..."

but going down the route they did they could have

ensured the place was cleaned more

more classes I admit space can't increase but they could run extra classes earlier/later in the day.
    they have extra / new classes on the list this week but I know for a fact cos I was there that some of those 7am classes didn't run cos.

they could employ more staff to tidy up the gym , like put the weights back more often ,regrettable they must do this, I know but we need to be practical, the place is a wreck and no amount of preaching can help in the short term.

they could have shipped items such as dumbbells from coolock to swords to help deal with the volume.

but they didn't.

More equipment might be an idea but if it's packed that limits space even more.

They can't just tell the Coolock members to suck it up and deal with not having a gym.

But if people keep going they may not do much.

• Advertisement

Their latest on FB is that there'll be an announcement early next week.

There's a limit to peoples patience, and with competitions in Sept & Oct mine (patience) is running out now.

I'm still trying to remain positive but none of the replies to various quiries on facebook fills me with confidence they'll reopen in Coolock.

I can well understand them closing due to safety concerns, how do they prevent a further attack on the premises, or their staff and customers but I'd really like FF to bring this to a speedy conclusion one way or the other.

Swords ~ I haven't been, because it wasn't an option for me before Coolock opened. And from the soundings I'm hearing from people who ventured out things are not good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

There's a limit to peoples patience, and with competitions in Sept & Oct mine (patience) is running out now.

Even if they do re-open I'd be surprised if they open before the end of the year. Insurance claims like this are dragged out for months.

I see their Georges Street gym has received new squat racks, I wonder if they're emptying Coolock?.

I see their Georges Street gym has received new squat racks, I wonder if they're emptying Coolock?.

Afaik, the new racks had been announced weeks before Coolock was burned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Afaik, the new racks had been announced weeks before Coolock was burned.

^ yep

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Hands off our fancy new squat racks, pesky northsider!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

Any updates?

Nate

Any updates?

Nate

394055.jpg

Smoke and water damage on the inside. On facebook they're (FF) and just saying they're waiting for more information and they'll let us know the gyms future when they have that info.

Lots of rumor, 'he said, she said' kinda stuff but nothing worth repeating so its anyone's guess right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Nate--IRL--

That picture.... :(

Nate

That picture.... :(

Nate

But if you look you'll see its just smoke and water in a darkened gym.. The leather cover on the leg press is undamaged as is the cardboard bin between it and the cable X over machine.

But that aside it looks dreadful :mad:

• Advertisement

Someone should make a "sad gyms of Ireland" collage and include all the great facilities that aren't being used that still have equipment in em.

The total fitness'.... this...

Someone should make a "sad gyms of Ireland" collage and include all the great facilities that aren't being used that still have equipment in em.

The total fitness'.... this...

A thread of 'Ghost gyms' :(

Before and After photos of the same area..

Before;

394077.jpg

After [no sh*t!!]

394076.jpg

:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭WHIP IT!

Jesus, place looks huge - and so spacious! Such a shame...

WHIP IT! wrote: »
    Jesus, place looks huge - and so spacious! Such a shame...

And that's only the entrance!.. There's easily another four or five times that, on both floors!.

Btw in case any members are wondering, FF said they'll be announcing their intentions for Coolock via an email to members & not facebook ~ so just keep checking your emails.

And that's only the entrance!.. There's easily another four or five times that, on both floors!.

Btw in case any members are wondering, FF said they'll be announcing their intentions for Coolock via an email to members & not facebook ~ so just keep checking your emails.

Just saw the email they sent.. No new information, just that they will hopefully have a decision next week.

I'm really hoping for a positive outcome but the longer it goes on the more it sounds like they are sorting out how to close it down without issues.

EDIT: EMAIL BELOW

Just a short mail to thank you for your wonderful support, your patience and understanding re Coolock gym.

We have been obliged to allow time for all relevant parties to meet and this process has taken longer than anticipated. We are confident that we will have a decision for you next week.

Thank you again for your patience and sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Just saw the email they sent.. No new information, just that they will hopefully have a decision next week.

I'm really hoping for a positive outcome but the longer it goes on the more it sounds like they are sorting out how to close it down without issues.

EDIT: EMAIL BELOW

Just a short mail to thank you for your wonderful support, your patience and understanding re Coolock gym.

We have been obliged to allow time for all relevant parties to meet and this process has taken longer than anticipated. We are confident that we will have a decision for you next week.

Thank you again for your patience and sincere apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Yup, I got the same email of course.

I've Judo competitions coming up in Sept & Oct, I do have a good gym in work (but of course this requires staying in work longer than I'd hoped).. I'd quickly settled into a routine in FF Coolock with some equipment which I don't have in work so I'm pretty fecking peeved.

At this stage I'm not holding out much hope for a positive outcome.

A little update, don't know if its a good sign or not but there's been renovations/repairs being carried out on the building. The burnt/damaged sign & other fascia are gone and there's been workers entering & exiting the place since yesterday.

Still radio silence from Flyefit!.

A little update, don't know if its a good sign or not but there's been renovations/repairs being carried out on the building. The burnt/damaged sign & other fascia are gone and there's been workers entering & exiting the place since yesterday.

Still radio silence from Flyefit!.

Word on the street is that you haven't left the car park in three weeks. #flyefitwatch2016

• Advertisement

Word on the street is that you haven't left the car park in three weeks. #flyefitwatch2016

Going into week four now.. I'm a dogged bastard and won't leave this car park until I get a YES or NO on the reopening.. #flyefitwatch2017ifneedsbe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭COH

Going into week four now.. I'm a dogged bastard and won't leave this car park until I get a YES or NO on the reopening.. #flyefitwatch2017ifneedsbe

I call bullshít.... we all know you're still outside total fitness waiting to hear if it'll ever open back up

COH wrote: »
    I call bullshít.... we all know you're still outside total fitness waiting to hear if it'll ever open back up

Oh have you heard any news on that opening again?.. :D

Maybe I need to split my time between the two now... #themanwhowon'tbemoved

Oh have you heard any news on that opening again?.. :D

Maybe I need to split my time between the two now... #themanwhowon'tbemoved

Don't worry, I'm in the apartments next to Tesco. I've got Total fitness covered in case it decides to open next to the pet food store.

Concentrate on the task at hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭spiderman1885

Spoke to one of the lads who had been working in the Coolock gym today, he said it was definitely opening back up - and soon.

I'm very sceptical.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Eirelad003

The shutters are fully open today and the place is gutted.
    Nothing left inside, all the equipment gone - ALL of it. Pretty much back to concrete.

If you're wanna clutch at straws, then MAYBE they needed to lift the raised floor to repair flood damage caused by DFB extinguishing the fire.

The only slim bit of hope is that with all the equipment gone, why are they still there?

Also works going on in the unit next door too, seems to be same company.

All very confusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

I joined two weeks before the fire and while I was more than patiently waiting I've gotten fed up now with having it constantly pushed back in regards to information.

On foot of that I emailed asking for a refund as I'd paid in advance for the year and wanted to join elsewhere instead. Only to be told that they won't be issuing refunds until they make an announcement, the timing of which they have no lead time on as they are waiting for information.

Charge back via my credit card coming their way.

Spoke to one of the lads who had been working in the Coolock gym today, he said it was definitely opening back up - and soon.

I'm very sceptical.
    Eirelad003 wrote: »
    The shutters are fully open today and the place is gutted.
    Nothing left inside, all the equipment gone - ALL of it. Pretty much back to concrete.

If you're wanna clutch at straws, then MAYBE they needed to lift the raised floor to repair flood damage caused by DFB extinguishing the fire.

The only slim bit of hope is that with all the equipment gone, why are they still there?

Also works going on in the unit next door too, seems to be same company.

All very confusing.

These and the emails with empty promises from Flyefit make me not believe a thing until I see photos or I see it myself.
    Dear ******,

Warm regards,

Nothing from Flyefit now for a week is complete horsesh*t.. So fooking annoying.

I remember when FlyeFit George's St was opening next week from April until it opened in October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,283 ✭✭✭COH

I remember when FlyeFit George's St was opening next week from April until it opened in October

Or when Flyefit Dundrum was 'opening next week' in January and still isn't open :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Didn't stop them selling 'early bird' memberships for that location either.

• Advertisement
Advertisement