Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum tone - let's make it more positive

Options
  • 25-07-2016 8:57am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

I'm really disillusioned by this forum lately. The amount of negativity from select posters is shocking and its dominating the forum. Whinging, giving out, complaining about everything and anything even if it doesn't affect them in any way. So much of the posts are bad news, seems like they trive in it. It really looks like a lot of positive contributors have moved on which isn't helping the pace. Looking at the first page of the forum over half the threads are whingefests full of bickering (me included as I try to pull whingers up)

While the city / society will always have challenges we need to celebrate success, it's good for the mind and soul. Galway is doing a lot better than many other parts of the country so let's be more positive.

- It's summer
    - we have an amazing city with history / culture that other cities and towns are envious of(and a lot of locals take for granted)
    - Galway city is the gateway to Connemara
    - Galway has a great community spirit (ya who would have thought! which can easily be seen from all of the cultural events which are organised (through dam hard work) and successfully take place
    - Galway won 2020 bid
    - Races are starting
    - Town is packed with tourists providing a huge boost to the local economy
    - we have beeches 10 mins away
    - we had good weather two weeks ago!
    - hurlers and footballers are doing well which raises the spirits of plenty of the city / county
    - Olympics about to start
    - Arts festival was great

Etc etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Galway is a grand place to live, bit it's no Utopia.
    What's the point pretending it is?
    Forums like these are a great way to vent frustrations and highlight issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

How OP views Galway

To be fair, I really miss living in Galway. Rose tinted glasses etc, but I had some of my best times there. It'll always be home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Olympics about to start
    Where is this being held?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

endagibson wrote: »

Ill let you figure that out yourself. If you are still struggling then Google may be a help to you

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Ill let you figure that out yourself. If you are still struggling then Google may be a help to you

What has the Rio Olympics got to do with Galway?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭pure.conya

timmyntc wrote: »
    What has the Rio Olympics got to do with Galway?

CAN YOU NOT JUST BE POSITIVE ABOUT IT?

/s

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How does a thread to give out about people giving out (aka not being positive enough) make the place more positive???

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's commendable that you are trying to increase the positive vibe in the forum, but in doing so please lead by example.

The only one that I'm aware of is happening in Rio. In Brazil.
    Do you have any other positives for Galway? I hear the English Premier League will be starting again soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

- Olympics about to start

This is the first I've heard of it. Has a traffic management plan been put in place and communicated to the residents? Have cyclists been adequately catered for in the traffic plan?? :mad:

Ah just kiddin'. Galway's such a great spot that we just need a good moan to keep us grounded. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Why haven't cyclists and travellers been catered for in this thread? It's discrimination.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Perhaps you should write a poem?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Track and field events at Westside anyway.

The Tour de France finished yesterday. That was great for Galway. Very positive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

snubbleste wrote: »
    Track and field events at Westside anyway.

Isn't that track too steep an incline for the Olympics?

FortySeven wrote: »
    Isn't that track too steep an incline for the Olympics?
    Challenging is the word you are seeking.

The Baseball World Series will be starting in October. Another great win for Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Edit

Can we keep this positive and helpful instead of digs?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭timmyntc

I can (kinda) see where you're coming from OP, however this is a discussion board. And moreoften than not, discussion will be a majority criticism. And since here we are nothing more than an echo chamber really with no ties to City/County Council, the majority of criticism will be of a negative nature. No point being nice about the councils shortcomings when you aren't actually in contact with them. Also being nice is totally uncool

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

I love you all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

I like things.

hqdefault.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,651 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Galway is beautiful. Lovely food. Lots happening in the arts. Always a good vibe. Nice friends live there. Medieval architecture.
    In fact I'd love to live in Galway if I could afford the house prices...
    and if it didn't rain so much, LOL
    Definitely could do with more realistic traffic management, yes.
    and for the love of all that's ancient, a bit of visual education in the Planning department wouldn't go amiss either.

There now- it's all about balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Soft day, thank God.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

If you only want to talk to people who share your opinions go to the pub and chat with friends.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I love living in Galway. It's a very safe city, cost of living is great, there's beautiful walks/hikes nearby, the chilled out pace of living really suits me, the pubs are great, the food has seriously improved since I've been here. It is a friendly place as well.

It's not perfect though, but it's great. This is a fairly snippy forum though for some reason. There can be a bit too much negativity, but at the same time it'd be nice to be able to say "I personally dislike aspect X of Galway" without all the replies being

"well aspect Y of Galway is great so you're wrong, Galway isn't the terrible shít hole you say it is now is it? :)"

"me and my five friends who all live in Galway love aspect X, so I conclude everyone in Galway apart from you loves it, you should shut up and be a bit of craic and you don't deserve to live in Galway"

"cycle lanes!"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

The watersports events were going to be held in Lough Atalia, but apparently it's being paved over. I read all about it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Having lived and worked for years in Galway before moving out to "The Country" I genuinely love spending some leisurely time in the City each week.

The city, summer and winter, day and night is welcoming and as someone that travels quite a bit, that is most certainly not a universal thing.

Sure it has got problems, but everywhere has including the countryside :-)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

As an outsider can I just say that I love Galway, the feel of the city, the nightlife, the people I've met there, just the general vibe about the place is great. From a visitors point of view it's a great city.
    Every city on this planet (even Dublin!:)) has it's downsides, but on the scale of things Galway seems to have very few genuinely serious problems.

In terms of this forum, it's one of the busiest city forums on boards and generally a great place for Galway people to shoot the breeze. Any negative vibe (from what I've seen) is mainly down to people falling into the trap of attacking the poster not the posts. Keep things civil & everyone will get a lot more from the forum.

• Advertisement

All hail the rain, making the grass green and banishing the vomit from the lanes

Advertisement