Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Forum tone - let's make it more positive

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I still like the forum and there can be fun threads every now and then but it's fair to say my interest has dropped. This forum used to have a great thread where we belovedly tracked the shenanigans of a certain cheeky Galwegian and obviously with society changing that's understandably not tolerated. I think there's been a big slide in the last year however.

It's been said prior but the main problem is not individual poster-specific. It's these long-winded threads where you might have the same 4/5 posters just going around in circles and not willing to concede any facet of their argument. It's transport threads where this is a constant and that puts me off. Why get involved if you'll be talking to a brick-wall? This is also done without directly breaking the charter but it is dismissive and acting the dick to an extent.

All you can really do is ask posters to be a little less stubborn but I think it might be falling on deaf ears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Have you got any suggestions about ways I could write things so that you don't experience them as condescending?

:D I actually don't think that would be possible. Let's just say, it's in you to write thus. ;)

Would you actually change how you "write things so that <people> don't experience them as condescending"?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

:D I actually don't think that would be possible. Let's just say, it's in you to write thus. ;)

Would you actually change how you "write things so that some <people> don't experience them as condescending"?

Fixed that for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Maybe we've just talked about everything that needs talking about? Sure the forum was more interesting a few years ago but with people (for whatever reason) leaving the forum and moving on maybe there just isn't that much to talk about.

Galway really isn't that big so having interesting topics to discuss 24/7 may be the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Would you actually change how you "write things so that <people> don't experience them as condescending"?

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,953 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

I still like the forum and there can be fun threads every now and then but it's fair to say my interest has dropped. This forum used to have a great thread where we belovedly tracked the shenanigans of a certain cheeky Galwegian and obviously with society changing that's understandably not tolerated. I think there's been a big slide in the last year however.

I'm really glad that sort of thing has stopped on this forum. That was a very malign form of negativity, like how a pack of bullies bond over hassling someone and laughing at them, but hey it's all good because we're having fun.

I think there are some lovely helpful posters here and that needs to be encouraged. The thread "where do I find X in Galway" bears it out, maybe it's a mistake pigeon holing that aspect of the forum into one thread though. In recent years there's a trend toward moving out any threads that might do in another forum to other homes, threads like someone asking a question eg. "where do I find a good mechanic in Galway" ending up in the motoring thread. That's fine but it does overlook the local aspect and it takes away some of the topics local people can engage over. Most of us have learned not to post those sort of threads here now. It's one vein of positive engagement though, maybe we should get it back. They give new people or quieter people a chance to be helpful or offer an opinion that isn't rebhutted aggressively, give people a chance to say something helpful if they can't say something funny or controversial to get a response and it builds a sense of community maybe?

This forum used to be much better, a really good source of local news where people posted about something they thought others might find useful. It's a pity to lose it really.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

^100% agree on the where to find x in galway thread, not only do people not look at stickies, but it makes google less likely to find the answer on boards.

I know I'm contradicting myself from a few posts back, but you've made a good point for not merging threads or having them as stickies.

I for one don't mind 10 threads a week about stags and hens, ok if it's 1k threads that's different, but 10 to 20 threads a week I think we can manage and it would encourage participation from the whole forum, not just the one's interested in that topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Steve The Barman

endagibson wrote: »
    Where is this being held?

Rio De janero

Brazil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,848 ✭✭✭?Cee?view

I've two comments to make:

1. The moderators deserve great credit for the time and effort they put in here. Sure, there are times when I disagree with them (and in particular I think I had a disagreement with Biko once over the Occupy Galway thread - could be wrong on that), but my overwhelming feeling towards them all has to be complete gratitude. We have to thank them for their time and effort.

2. The moderators can't be blamed if people act like arses. People need to take personal responsibility for their own actions.

Having said that, there are two people who have posted on this thread who irritate me (and I think that I'm only correct in that view with one_. I'm not going to name them but I'll describe the behaviour.

One is so predictable and immovable as to be completely boring. Yes, we know your viewpoint on your particular crusade, but you don't have to ram it down everyone's throat at every opportunity. The effect of the grandstanding is not to convince people of your point of view. It just turns people off.

The other person, I think I understand. We need to allow for some cultural differences on Galway Boards; in fact it's part of what we probably all love about Galway. Some nationalities come across abruptly whereas Irish people can tend to be less direct. We take directness as being rude whereas another culture does not intend to be rude. They're just directly answering a question.

I'm lucky to work in an office with approximately 15 nationalties. Many staff have issues with two staff members, one is German, the other Kiwi. They're quote often accused of being abrupt and rude even though it's certainly not their intention. It's just their normal and to them inoffensive way of communicating.

My 2cent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

I'm really glad that sort of thing has stopped on this forum. That was a very malign form of negativity, like how a pack of bullies bond over hassling someone and laughing at them, but hey it's all good because we're having fun.

This is fair. There was a mean-spirit in that sense.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,196 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

I am disappointed, pedantic, nitpicking and off topic posts are here again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭endagibson

Rio De janero

Brazil
    Yes. I think everyone knew that.
    That was the point. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

It's two and a half months, since this topic was originally opened, and I must say I'm curious if people have felt any differences or changes in atmosphere, positive or negative, in that time?

Is there anything since then that people have noticed that could be implemented/relaxed, to the benefit of the forum?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Between the xmas market and street party threads you know it hasn't changed.

Are we simply shining a light on the bloody obvious?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,510 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

It's two and a half months, since this topic was originally opened, and I must say I'm curious if people have felt any differences or changes in atmosphere, positive or negative, in that time?

Is there anything since then that people have noticed that could be implemented/relaxed, to the benefit of the forum?

I see no difference. The only thing that seems to consistently excite people is grass and traffic, still.

You're all still c*nts.

Except for you. Yea, you. You're great.

You're all still c*nts.

Except for you. Yea, you. You're great.

Not you, beardybrewer. I dislike you.

:pac:

and me..? Surely I've earned enough c*nt points at this stage?

I was gonna get a sash and everything made... :(

and me..? Surely I've earned enough c*nt points at this stage?

I was gonna get a sash and everything made... :(

King of the C*nts.

And the next time we meet, you better wear the sash or I'll be bitterly disappointed.

Bitterly. Disappointed.

King of the C*nts.

And the next time we meet, you better wear the sash or I'll be bitterly disappointed.

Bitterly. Disappointed.

We can share it so... :pac:
    Arghus wrote: »
    The only thing that seems to consistently excite people is grass and traffic

I want this as a completely out of context bumper sticker/t-shirt!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

- Olympics about to start

Etc etc

How were the olympics?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We can share it so...
    That reminds me, I haven't seen you guys for beer in ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Very little change if any.

biko wrote: »
    That reminds me, I haven't seen you guys for beer in ages.

Might be time to remedy that soon... :cool:

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Can we get a bit of guidance from above as to what's "Galway enough" to survive the current hollowing out process?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭J.pilkington

I think the forum is a much friendlier place of late. Plenty of new users contributing and staying around. The handful of users who used to dominate a large quantity of the threads with their agendas seem to have moved on which naturally results in more interesting and varied discussions and threads staying on / near topic.

In summary it's a much less of a hostile / negative place with a fair bunch of mods keeping the ship on track!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

Robbo wrote: »
    Can we get a bit of guidance from above as to what's "Galway enough" to survive the current hollowing out process?
    What do the statistic's say? Less volume of threads and contributions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭Bredabe

What do the statistic's say? Less volume of threads and contributions?
    After the name I was called on the galway thread for asking the sort of questions any outsider would ask and harranged on a national thread for it last week, Im slow to post on the galway only thread for anything other than where can i find anymore........
    So not sure if it's that positive.

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Bredabe wrote: »
    After the name I was called on the galway thread for asking the sort of questions any outsider would ask and harranged on a national thread for it last week, Im slow to post on the galway only thread for anything other than where can i find anymore........
    So not sure if it's that positive.
    What name were you called?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Bredabe, please report post so a moderator can have a look.

Advertisement