Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hibernia interview

Options
  • 25-07-2016 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi,
    I recently had my hibernia interview for the PME course. It was extremely daunting leading up to it but I survived it! The Irish is intense bit harder than the irish oral for leaving cert but the questions focus on all your tenses and vocab. So plenty of practice or grinds to prepare! From what I remember I was asked:
    How I travelled to the interview
    My home place
    Why I wanted to be a teacher
    Asked about my experience working with children with autism
    A lot about my current job
    I repeated Irish lc. How I found that. What was my fav aspect of it.
    How I prepared for this interview
    What do I do in my spare time/what am i doing next weekend

English is more of a chat but still intense!
    Why I want to be a teacher
    My college degree
    Describe myself using 5 adjectives
    About my personal statement
    My current job
    Attributes of a leader
    How I deal with conflict
    Policies and procedures in the workplace
    Team work
    What I know about hibernia

In fairness they were very friendly. They asked more but I cannot think of them at the moment. I think i was in there about 40/45 min. There are tough questions thrown in but it is just to see how you manage, so just relax and take a second to think before you respond!
    Good luck 😊😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 canaryfairy

Hi All,

I had my interview last summer for the September intake and unfortunately I was unsuccessful in the Irish interview.

They contacted me giving me the option to repeat the Irish interview only for the April intake in March 2017. (I do not have to repeat the English interview as I was successful in this)

So my Irish interview is in the coming week. I'm really nervous and I'm terrified that they will be harder on repeat Irish interviews because they know we failed it already. Has anyone any experience with this? If I fail this then I can't reapply for the next two years so the anxiety is hitting big time. A lot riding on 15 minutes.

Any feedback would be really appreciated.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

I know these interviews can be very stressful, but try and not get too worked up.
    As much as you can, tune in to the Irish Radio stations if you are driving between places for example, or just sitting at home. I remember going to Easons and buying the Harry Potter books in Irish to try refresh my Irish a bit too. OR even just watch the news and weather in Irish.
    You will have some experience of the questions they asked you, so try coming up with some nice sample answers and practice saying them out loud. Even just to yourself! My room mates must have thought me mad when I was going for my interview, I spent ages in my room basically just talking to myself in Irish :rolleyes:

I actually can't imagine why they would be harder on you, if anything I think the opposite! They are probably much more understanding, and although it seems like the world is against you, they really do want you to pass.

I also know that some people that get offered the course but still have a bit of difficulty with the Irish are offered the chance to do a refresher course prior to starting the course.

Best of luck with it, and try enjoy your day as much as you can :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 canaryfairy

Thanks so much for the message, I've been going to grinds since the start of January (should probably have been doing that since I initially failed, but thats procrastination at its finest!!)

I really appreciate the feedback/advice and I've come across on of your old threads that has sample interview questions, going to bring that to my next grind so we can work off that :)

Nerves are just majorly kicking in because I'm scared I'll go blank inside there.

Fingers crossed! Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24 time2move

Best of luck canaryfairy. I'm waiting for an interview date and am a looong time out of school so am terrified about the Irish interview. Let us know how you get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

Thanks so much for the message, I've been going to grinds since the start of January (should probably have been doing that since I initially failed, but thats procrastination at its finest!!)

I really appreciate the feedback/advice and I've come across on of your old threads that has sample interview questions, going to bring that to my next grind so we can work off that :)

Nerves are just majorly kicking in because I'm scared I'll go blank inside there.

Fingers crossed! Thanks again :)

No problem at all, I was a nervous wreck on the day of mine! Had to bring the other half with me to calm me down, but actually when I got there they gave me tea while I waited (maybe this was because I had gotten soaked on the way there though) and gave me a glass of water during it.

And time2move, I had been out of university four years, and hadn't studied Irish for seven years when I went for the interview, so don't worry, it's the effort you put in, in the run up to the interview that counts :)

Hope to see you both at orientation!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 time2move

Thanks tooty. Let's just say the length of time I am out of school is multiples of how long you are :) Congratulations to you. Really hope I get the chance to get to orientation :)

Advertisement