Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hunting with a drone

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Rimfire Shooter

Just don't think a high seat is hunting. It's sitting in a chair waiting on deer to come out in range. Just IMO it's not hunting. Going out and walking around looking for deer and stalking them is hunting.

When you're calling foxes are you constantly moving or stationary? I'm always stationary calling foxes so to me no different to being in a high seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,755 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Nothing wrong with concealing oneself in a stationary position for the purpose of hunting. There's far worse going on eg. tower hunting of reared birds which involves birds being literally thrown out of a tower in front of guns. Done in the US on pheasant shoots

Birdnuts wrote: »
    There's far worse going on eg. tower hunting of reared birds which involves birds being literally thrown out of tower in front of guns. Done in the US on pheasant shoots

OMG ! Now that is wrong but then again it's America might as well be shooting clays at that stage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

When you're calling foxes are you constantly moving or stationary? I'm always stationary calling foxes so to me no different to being in a high seat.

Don't do much of calling foxes. Daytime is my hunting with foxes. But even at night il call for five minutes and move on. Wouldn't sit in a tree for hours waiting on deer. As one poster said each to their own and everyone has their opinion. I have mine of it.
    Do you think what they do in America is ok? Sitting in a tree using female scent and using callers for deer is ok? It's not hunting. Just requires a decent shot and even then in America it's not good shots

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

But even at night il call for five minutes and move on.
    Spend a lot of time moving so. Hardly any time for shooting. I like to take my time each each spot. Can be 20 minutes, could be an hour. Depends on activity and my mood.
    Wouldn't sit in a tree for hours waiting on deer. As one poster said each to their own and everyone has their opinion. I have mine of it.
    Deer are not foxes. They move differently, cannot legally be lured, baited or called in, and react differently to our presence. So it requires different strategies.
    Do you think what they do in America is ok? Sitting in a tree using female scent and using callers for deer is ok?
    Yes, i do. You may not, but that is why so many people have so many ways of hunting. Diversity. Plus while Americans can use scent, callers, or whatever, different states have different laws so it varies. Also it's not a free ride in most places. Sometimes it consists of fees and a lottery system to see if you even get to hunt.
    It's not hunting.
    Yes it is, maybe not to your liking, but it is hunting.
    Just requires a decent shot and even then in America it's not good shots
    Don't be fooled by Youtube. A few videos of poor shots does not represent the whole of the American shooting community much like shot road signs here does not represent the majority of Irish shooting community.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,066 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Actually in Europe tree stand hunting is considerd alot safer than having people tramping about the forests.

1] Less likely to spook your game out of your reserve by crashing about in the forest.Quite a big deal where you are paying on average 5grand a head on a let just to go hunting.

2] Safer as you have a better observation position for your shot of whats going on with height than at ground level.Also your shot is going from height into ground if you miss.

3]Easier to spot,observe and decide if you want to shoot from a height.And somtimes the only way of shooting in young tree planttions.

4] Not as easy as it seems either.Try sitting still for a few hours on a plank of wood,you are stuck in position and are very much at the whim of the wind carrying your scent much further than at ground level.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    4] Not as easy as it seems either.Try sitting still for a few hours on a plank of wood,you are stuck in position and are very much at the whim of the wind carrying your scent much further than at ground level.

Would you not rather be more active in hunting than sitting in a tree?? We all know hunting isn't always about the kill. I don't know about you but the chase is the most exciting part. Rather spend all day out walking and have missed opportunities or close calls ( I don't mean missed shots) than spend hours in a tree and come home with a kill. There's no memories in that.
    But look it's my opinion and each to their own but as I said everyone has their own ways. Some agree with it others don't. I won't argue with someone over it.

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with concealing oneself in a stationary position for the purpose of hunting. There's far worse going on eg. tower hunting of reared birds which involves birds being literally thrown out of a tower in front of guns. Done in the US on pheasant shoots

Dont have to go to the US .It is pretty common in Italy as well.Seen it done in Hungary too with ducks.Raise a bunch of ducks between two flight ponds about two miles apart. Position the guns on both ponds and the ducks fly between the two ponds trying to get a rest.
    Depends on what you consider "sporting" I guess.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Would you not rather be more active in hunting than sitting in a tree?? We all know hunting isn't always about the kill. I don't know about you but the chase is the most exciting part. Rather spend all day out walking and have missed opportunities or close calls ( I don't mean missed shots) than spend hours in a tree and come home with a kill. There's no memories in that.
    But look it's my opinion and each to their own but as I said everyone has their own ways. Some agree with it others don't. I won't argue with someone over it.

I've done both types of hunting and have come home from both either with a kill or without a kill.You are not grauenteed any more success with tree stand hunting than with stalking.Plus ,as you get older stalking does become abit harder to do on the legs and body. One thing I can say for stand shooting is ,it is proably the best way to introduce newbies and those un sure to hunting.Simply put if you are unsure of somthing and are made uncomfortable by having to exert yourself climbing up numerous hills,lepoard crawling thru a turf bog and then having to be dead still while being eaten by midges and black flies is not going to enarmour you to it very much. I took numerous ex girlfriends and my current main squeeze out deer hunting and it was all tree stand hunting.Even if we saw nothing shootable,they got to observe nature without having to stress themselves to do so.We got to see some fine sunsets too,and you also find out how much modern people cant sit the fuk still for five minutes or need to gab every three minutes to fill the silence.:rolleyes: Thats how I found my current was a keeper.:)She could STFU for an hour or so and watch nature. without complainng about her butt hurting,being cold,being eaten by midges etc. So a tree stand can also be quite useful in that sense of finding yor partner in life too.:pac:
    But thats just my take on it.A tree stand to me is just a tool that can make the job easier,and if you have to build one[part of the practical German hunting exam] You will have memories aplenty.But thats my take on them.Give one a try sometime.You might surprise yourself on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭ezra_

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭arrowloopboy

Like it or not Drones will be used to locate deer etc in the very near future in Ireland ,the tec is gone so good,and the price of something like a DJI Phantom 4 ,which is an awesome piece of kit ,is now the same price as a high end scope !
    They've been used since the 70s by the US govt to hunt men !

Along with trailcams,[which no doubt will be subject to privacy regulations,as they are in some EU states] I can see them being a useful tool more for hunting let surveillance against poaching or for even assisting in whenever this national deer census will ever be done,or equipped with thermal image be a help in locating injured and downed deer,or deer calves in fields that are due to be mowed . But as a flying rifle ala a "terminator" hunter killer drone,that is still a long way away yet.
    Again an inanimate object ,more or less,that can be used for good or ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

I'd class anyone using a drone for deer stalking as a poacher.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    .................................Again an inanimate object ,more or less,that can be used for good or ill.

Exactly !

Advertisement