Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

UL scholarship recipients/rejects HELP US :)

• 25-07-2016 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Firstly, sorry to those who were unsuccessful in their application. I was trying to find a nicer way of saying that than "rejects", but it seemed the most concise and effective word to use. No offense intended to you all in any way!

So a bit of a cheeky post, but seeing as there is so much interest in the scholarship, I was wondering if those who were successful/not successful, might be willing to share a bit of their personal circumstances?

It might help us form a better understanding of what UL are looking for!

I am hoping to apply next year and it is frightening to have such little information available!

I appreciate it may be too personal to share, or you might feel uncomfortable posting publicly in the forums.

But if you would like to help, please do respond, or even PM me! :)

Thanks for reading,

Signed:

A cheeky and scared future applicant.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19 Esophagus

I don't think this really matters as you have to have committed to, and have started, the course before you find out if you are successful. So, either way, you'll have to have made financial arrangements. Since those who do get it are in the stark minority, you aren't likely to find any here I think.

A guy mentioned that some of the people who got it had deceased parents or very drastic personal circumstances, as opposed to just having crappy grades etc. which most people will put in their applications. In other words, the generic 'oh I'm poor' thing won't work, they've seen that hundreds of times and are probably blasé to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Maat

Esophagus wrote: »
    I don't think this really matters as you have to have committed to, and have started, the course before you find out if you are successful. So, either way, you'll have to have made financial arrangements. Since those who do get it are in the stark minority, you aren't likely to find any here I think.

A guy mentioned that some of the people who got it had deceased parents or very drastic personal circumstances, as opposed to just having crappy grades etc. which most people will put in their applications. In other words, the generic 'oh I'm poor' thing won't work, they've seen that hundreds of times and are probably blasé to it.

Apparently they tell you before you actually start now, but yes you still have to commit.

Do people really put down that they have crappy grades?! That seems very strange to me...

Yes I take your point that there aren't many, but I live in hope that someone may see this!

:)

Maat wrote: »
    Apparently they tell you before you actually start now, but yes you still have to commit.

Do people really put down that they have crappy grades?! That seems very strange to me...

Yes I take your point that there aren't many, but I live in hope that someone may see this!

:)
    Nope, I've emailed them about this (since I am applying), and they said 'in all likelihood, students will not find out until a few weeks into the course.' You're free to email them enquiring, you don't have to take my word for it.

When I say crappy grades (when young), this could be due to a number of disadvantaging factors; moving homes often, crappy school etc. Not that it is a comment on ability, but that external factors contributed to it and so they didn't have a 'proper chance.' People can spin things quite well... You'd be surprised at what you'll be going up against considering anyone from the EU can apply for it. Anyway, I'm not here to be a naysayer, I just think you be realistic about the prospect of being successful unless you have extraordinary circumstances.

Nope, I've emailed them about this (since I am applying), and they said 'in all likelihood, students will not find out until a few weeks into the course.' You're free to email them enquiring, you don't have to take my word for it.

When I say crappy grades (when young), this could be due to a number of disadvantaged factors; moving homes often etc. Not that it is a comment on ability, but that external factors contributed to it and so they didn't have a 'proper chance.' People can spin things quite well... You'd be surprised at what you'll be going up against.

Ah yes I get ya. I can well imagine what people are putting! :P

Hmm I did see someone on a different thread recently saying that they were supposed to find out before the course started this year.

Of course that's just what I have read here, I won't be applying till next year! :)

Ah yes I get ya. I can well imagine what people are putting! :P

Hmm I did see someone on a different thread recently saying that they were supposed to find out before the course started this year.

Of course that's just what I have read here, I won't be applying till next year! :)
    Yeah, I'm still hoping to find out before they start, but I've resigned it to the back of my mind and prepared for the instance that I don't.

For me to study at UL, 2 conditions have to satisfied, which just makes it more unlikely: 1) I find out before the course starts and 2) I actually have to win it as well. Yeah, you can find out before the course starts, but if you don't win it you're stuffed lol.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm still hoping to find out before they start, but I've resigned it to the back of my mind and prepared for the instance that I don't.

For me to study at UL, 2 conditions have to satisfied, which just makes it more unlikely: 1) I find out before the course starts and 2) I actually have to win it as well. Yeah, you can find out before the course starts, but if you don't win it you're stuffed lol.

Yeah that sounds like a good plan in fairness!

Lol good luck with it! Hope ya get in, and they don't keep ya in suspense too long! :)

Yeah that sounds like a good plan in fairness!

Lol good luck with it! Hope ya get in, and they don't keep ya in suspense too long! :)
    If I do, you'll be the first to know

Advertisement